Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boutique amps (both 1 & 2) are jumpin’. I haven’t been playing these for awhile, but wow ...

I was even doing the dotted eighth delay thing and then the cloud verbs and Plex delays ... lol ... should not have this much fun. Ought to be pretty much verboten.

Wow, on 5.0 now! Thank you Cliff for continually striving for great tone. I have a question based on all the great updates. Do you think there will ever be a time when you're 99% happy that there is not a need for any more updates? What % of the way do you think you are from finally saying, "That's it! It's 99.99% the same as the real deal." I did a comparison of an actual amp to the Axe II years ago and most couldn't tell the difference, so I would assume it's close to the point of perfection, no?

I wouldn't call an exact match of any amp perfection. The Axe-FX has for a long time allowed us to modify amp tones in ways that are impossible on real amps, so in effect they are better than real amps - maybe 150%. For example, I often cut bass levels prior to the overdrive stages and restore it with post-EQ. This gives a tighter bottom end response with plenty of saturation on the higher strings.

Wow, on 5.0 now! Thank you Cliff for continually striving for great tone. I have a question based on all the great updates. Do you think there will ever be a time when you're 99% happy that there is not a need for any more updates? What % of the way do you think you are from finally saying, "That's it! It's 99.99% the same as the real deal." I did a comparison of an actual amp to the Axe II years ago and most couldn't tell the difference, so I would assume it's close to the point of perfection, no?
Years ago I thought it was there but my hearing continues to evolve. Right now I think it's there but in a year I might think differently. There are things I hear and feel now that I couldn't discern years ago. Most people only hear frequency response and that's enough to fool them. That's why those online A/B tests don't mean much. And you can't hear feel.

I've sat and played one chord for hours on end comparing the amp to the model and it's taught me things that measurements don't show. Every firmware update it gets harder and harder to tell the difference in blind A/B tests but in a month or three or twelve I might be able to again.

Years ago I thought it was there but my hearing continues to evolve. Right now I think it's there but in a year I might think differently. There are things I hear and feel now that I couldn't discern years ago. Most people only hear frequency response and that's enough to fool them. That's why those online A/B tests don't mean much. And you can't hear feel.

I've sat and played one chord for hours on end comparing the amp to the model and it's taught me things that measurements don't show. Every firmware update it gets harder and harder to tell the difference in blind A/B tests but in a month or three or twelve I might be able to again.

It’s been exciting being on this journey with you and being able to reap the benefits of your obsession and continued honing of your ear and tactile feel.

Thank you !

This is a great question actually
I dont know if we will get an answer but i would certainly be intrested

Obviously the cathode follower algorithms has been a thorn in the the side for a long time and this latest firmware seems to address that

This is Awesome in so many ways!! Don't kow how many really get it, but I do!

@FractalAudio some strange behaviour with the USA Lead model presence control when using two amps blocks. Only seems to happen when running 2 amp blocks and only when the presence is between 0.9 and 1.3 - clip below. Also happens on the USA Clean, C+ and USA Pre models but not on the C++.

Same on my unit. Actually discovered the problem when checking out Leon’s Mark IV preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom