Vai Academy 5.0

Dale LeClaire

Inspired
Anybody here going? I just registered last week and the lineup looks killer. I'm particularly excited about Devin Townsend and Plini.

This is the first one of these big clinic/camp things I've had the opportunity to go to. For those who've been before, any helpful advice to make the experience as valuable as possible?

Well , I made some lifelong friends and FAS forum buddies (lookin at you @austinbuddy @Admin M@ ) at the Dweezilla camps, as we sweated/swatted our way thru the ......rustic.....confines of the Catskills resort that hosted this and many other of the hipper music camps that Vai Academy and JPs gig, etc., have evolved from but it seems these newer schools may have a higher comfort level so my bring lotsa bug spray advice may not apply ,...but the music was always a gas.. and soak it all in.

If they let you video lessons, do it. If you can only record audio, do it. When they are teaching you, You will not remember it all later unless you have a good record of it - that is my best advice. You cannot expect to sit through multiple days and remember it all. But they are a blast and fun!

I attended The G4 Experience a few years back as well as Vai Academy 4.0.

Same company organizes and runs both, but they are different approaches.

I liked both, and I'm seriously considering going to 5.0... wish it was in California, not New York.

Vai has a theme for each Academy and this one is about Tone Sculpting.

Very appropriate that Fractal is a part of this one as many of the feature participants are Fractal artists.

Agreed on the location, it's not too convenient from Seattle to NY either. The specific topic of tone sculpting is definitely of interest to me and part of why I chose to do this one. With the Axe products, there are just so many features and ways to go about getting a great sound, I'm interested to see what some of the different approaches of my favorite artists are and see what I can apply to improve my sound. Especially with so many Fractal artists there.

And while I love my XLII+, I certainly wouldn't mind winning that raffle for the III :)

Last edited:
Super glad to see @Admin M@ getting the recognition that he and FAS deserve. Also great to see FAS take their rightful place in the guitar universe. Sorry I’m not going.

Back
Top Bottom