RE: Dynaudio monitors

∞Fractals

Fractal Fanatic
Is anyone using these for studio FRFR via AxeFx?

Dynaudio LYD 48 3-way Powered Studio Monitor

I’m shopping monitors and dynaudio has been on my radar for a long time.

Cliff’s post on studio time and their $30k Dynaudio setup kind of got the old, aged synapses firing ... (shocking I know).

Is anyone using these for studio FRFR via AxeFx?

Dynaudio LYD 48 3-way Powered Studio Monitor

I’m shopping monitors and dynaudio has been on my radar for a long time.

Cliff’s post on studio time and their $30k Dynaudio setup kind of got the old, aged synapses firing ... (shocking I know).
I’ve never used them, but like all Dynaudio , they get high marks....and to complicate things, available now at Sweetwater with financing.......tempting indeed

I’ve never used them, but like all Dynaudio , they get high marks....and to complicate things, available now at Sweetwater with financing.......tempting indeed

Yeah, I used to spend a lot with them in the ‘90s so I got sales calls for the last 30 yrs. Was thinking of trying to somehow “leveraging” that (if could) for some kind of “deal”. ;)

One thing I did notice is that the 3way 8” woofer set up appears less efficient over the 2x w/ 7” w driver. Buuuuuut ... the 3x w/ a mid driver seems to make way more sense.

In my experience, Dynaudio monitors always sound “impressive,” but lack honest detail in the midrange. I’ve worked in several studios that have had their 3-way monitors, and I still own a pair of original BM6A’s. Everything sounds good through them, but I feel like you’re not getting an accurate representation of what you’re putting through them.

I personally use a pair of ATC SCM25A’s and LOVE them! I’d highly recommend trying out anything from ATC or ProAc if you’re wanting something more natural and accurate.

Just my two cents.

In my experience, Dynaudio monitors always sound “impressive,” but lack honest detail in the midrange. I’ve worked in several studios that have had their 3-way monitors, and I still own a pair of original BM6A’s. Everything sounds good through them, but I feel like you’re not getting an accurate representation of what you’re putting through them.

I personally use a pair of ATC SCM25A’s and LOVE them! I’d highly recommend trying out anything from ATC or ProAc if you’re wanting something more natural and accurate.

Just my two cents.

Thank you for a candid and detailed reply.

Shoot; now I’ve gone into rarefied air, where I can’t breath ( over budget @ $4k ea).

New data ... trying to stay under $3500 for a pair. ;)

Shoot; now I’ve gone into rarefied air, where I can’t breath ( over budget @ $4k ea).

Well, any discussion of Dynaudios will have people who say they sound "too good to be true", and people who will disagree.

IMO, they do have that wow effect that makes you like what you hear, but it's not like they are somehow totally wrong or something. A bad mix still sounds like a bad mix through them.

And there's always something better if you double the budget...

I generally like Dynaudio monitors and have been interested in trying the LYD 48, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I have talked to a guy that I know and who's ears and opinion I respect that bought the LYD 48 for his home studio after trying a whole bunch of other monitors, many of them much more expensive and "brag"-worthy including the ACT SCM25A's, PSI monitors and others.
Money wasn't the deciding factor, he said that in his room the LYD 48 sounded perfect, and he felt like he would get very little if anything extra by going with any of the more expensive speakers.

As someone who owns and adore ACT SCM50A Pro monitors that made me take notice and put the LYD 48 on my must try list.

I've used the Dyanaudio BM15A's for years & love them. They do sound nice which really helps cut down on ear fatigue but also give a very good, accurate representation of my mixes & translate very well to other systems.

I'll second the Focals. I was using the Trio6 Be in my smaller studio. The bigger studio (done in about 6 weeks) will get ATC SCM 100s - (the Focals will be the playback speakers in the tracking room :)

I'll second the Focals. I was using the Trio6 Be in my smaller studio. The bigger studio (done in about 6 weeks) will get ATC SCM 100s - (the Focals will be the playback speakers in the tracking room :)

Thanks!

Those ATCs look cool as hell.

Neumann KH310. In my opinion ATC 25 level detail, balance etc...but deals better with low frequencies, so good that unless you produce real bass heavy music you wont need a sub!

And the price is almost half of ATC 25.

Years ago I asked for speaker recommendations. I was told ADAM A7X. I've had these for 6 years and Really like them with The Axe Fx. They sound clean. No digital noise. An honest sound to replicate these amps and cabs with.

Back
Top Bottom