Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.03

Huge breakthrough today. Version 5.00 coming soon. I've struggled modeling the cathode follower accurately for, well, forever. Woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized what I've been doing wrong. Spent all day simulating and coding it. The results are excellent. Gets rid of that crackly sound on palm mutes. Instead you get this nice "bong" and almost piano-like low notes. A/B'ing with my Dual Recto and Soldano X88 and it's spot-on.

The algorithm is pretty complex and adds 10% CPU usage but fortunately the Axe-Fx III has power to spare and it runs on the second CPU so the user won't even notice. Doubt I'll be able to port it to the II though as that CPU is almost maxed out.

I have to enter data for all the amp models but I might be able to have a beta later tonight.

I know I mentioned this before. I have used Band Commander for an amp block for several clean presets, ever since I got the AXE III, and with the XL+. All of a sudden after this last or maybe starting with 4.0 update, It is muffled, flubby, boomy, bassy distorted, etc.. I finally figured out what the issue is. The default for the master volume, before the updates, was 5 and now it is 10. Now I'm not totally sure if I changed it at some point and it stayed that way, after refreshing or not. But, as a habit, and being as I only use 10 presets for live gigs, I always refresh my amps, in my presets' amp blocks. I do this for every update, to make sure I get new settings, enhancements, etc.. I then tweak from there, if needed. When I refresh now, the Band Commander master volume always goes to 10, causing the bad bottom end. So my question is, is this the new default setting or some small bug?
The default has always been 10. It's a Fender. Fender's don't have master volumes.

Huge breakthrough today. Version 5.00 coming soon. I've struggled modeling the cathode follower accurately for, well, forever. Woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized what I've been doing wrong. Spent all day simulating and coding it. The results are excellent. Gets rid of that crackly sound on palm mutes. Instead you get this nice "bong" and almost piano-like low notes. A/B'ing with my Dual Recto and Soldano X88 and it's spot-on.

The algorithm is pretty complex and adds 10% CPU usage but fortunately the Axe-Fx III has power to spare and it runs on the second CPU so the user won't even notice. Doubt I'll be able to port it to the II though as that CPU is almost maxed out.

I have to enter data for all the amp models but I might be able to have a beta later tonight.

Very interesting, I can't wait to palm mute the hell of of FW 5 :)

F’n machine you are!! Thank you Cliff!

I know I mentioned this before. I have used Band Commander for an amp block for several clean presets, ever since I got the AXE III, and with the XL+. All of a sudden after this last or maybe starting with 4.0 update, It is muffled, flubby, boomy, bassy distorted, etc.. I finally figured out what the issue is. The default for the master volume, before the updates, was 5 and now it is 10. Now I'm not totally sure if I changed it at some point and it stayed that way, after refreshing or not. But, as a habit, and being as I only use 10 presets for live gigs, I always refresh my amps, in my presets' amp blocks. I do this for every update, to make sure I get new settings, enhancements, etc.. I then tweak from there, if needed. When I refresh now, the Band Commander master volume always goes to 10, causing the bad bottom end. So my question is, is this the new default setting or some small bug?
Band Master it’s based on doesn’t have a master volume so 10 is correct for the master in the Axe-Fx.

Coming soon: Cliff’s latest epiphany. This time, he follows up with a better cathode follower and a “nice bong.” I wonder how much the bong will affect our perception of the tone... :cool:

HA! Holy crap I can't wait to hear this! :D FAS I swear, you need to set up a 'pay what you want' for FW updates, I guarantee I wouldn't be the only one dying to give back. Radiohead did that, in house, with their 'In Rainbows' album release and they made m i l l i o n s.

Coming soon: Cliff’s latest epiphany. This time, he follows up with a better cathode follower and a “nice bong.” I wonder how much the bong will affect our perception of the tone... :cool:
Will the bong be legal in my state? I live in NY. Will I need a doctor's note or something?

If this drops , WITH the time change to deal with tomorrow , I’m guessing I may get 30 minutes of sleep tonight !
.... and I’m good with that.

thats awesome , I suspect 5.0 will please the hi gain guys to no end if the palm mutes are tight and chunky

Back
Top Bottom