2 amp / 2 Cab Limit on Axe-Fx III ? Why ?

T4d

HI looking at getting a Axe-Fx III but i see on the web page theirs a 2 amp 2 cab Per preset limit ?

that's the same limit as Axe-Fx II so should I get a Axe-Fx III when i can get a Axe-Fx II from ebay half the price ?

HI looking at getting a Axe-Fx III but i see on the web page theirs a 2 amp 2 cab Per preset limit ?

that's the same limit as Axe-Fx II so should I get a Axe-Fx III when i can get a Axe-Fx II from ebay half the price ?

The huge difference is the 4 channel capabilities of the blocks. So with each preset you have available 8 totally different amps!!

Not to mention the disparity in the sound & feel with the latest FAS flagship!

Btw,...FAS has brought up the idea of 3 amp blocks here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/three-amp-blocks.141345/

Last edited:
Also, the 2 Cab's is the block count. There are 4xIR's per channel per block. There is also an IR player block as well. Each Cab block alone would support 4x4 IRs.

The huge difference is the 4 channel capabilities of the blocks. So with each preset you have available 8 totally different amps!!

Yeah, but switching channels causes a gap in audio which I personally find very annoying.

It probably doesn’t matter in a live mix, but it turns me off in IEMs.

So I didn’t use X/Y on the II, and don’t use channels on the III if I can avoid that.

The axe Fx III SOUNDS and FEELS better across the board.

Yeah, but switching channels causes a gap in audio which I personally find very annoying.

It probably doesn’t matter in a live mix, but it turns me off in IEMs.

So I didn’t use X/Y on the II, and don’t use channels on the III if I can avoid that.
I find it negligible in the II...though I don’t use IEMs.

I’ve yet to setup my III ...and I’m confident I could get the channel switching to work for me however with the tips provided here.

And there’s every possibility FAS will be adding a 3rd amp and cab ...may go up to 4 or more ...

Here:

I find it negligible in the II...though I don’t use IEMs.

I’ve yet to setup my III ...and I’m confident I could get the channel switching to work for me however with the tips provided here.

And there’s every possibility FAS will be adding a 3rd amp and cab ...may go up to 4 or more ...

Here:

I know that thread of course, but there’s nothing there that helps mitigate the gap thing. 3 or 4 amps would help, surely. :)

Hmmmmnnn ... it is for me. Diff strokes I suppose. ;)
I was being facetious, guess an emoji would have been appropriate. The AX8 in enough for me in most cases. The Axe-Fx III is definitely enough for me.

I was referring to comments I read when researching the III about the lack of enough CPU, block instances, etc.... No matter what a company provides, no matter how cutting edge or powerful, people inevitably want more.

I was being facetious, guess an emoji would have been appropriate. The AX8 in enough for me in most cases. The Axe-Fx III is definitely enough for me.

I was referring to comments I read when researching the III about the lack of enough CPU, block instances, etc.... No matter what a company provides, no matter how cutting edge or powerful, people inevitably want more.

Gotcha - agreed.

The Axe needs to know how many of each block is possible so you can assign midi and control numbers for other gear to control it. If you suddenly have 5 amps, what CC# is amp 5? Where do you assign that?

There was a poll for 3 amp blocks but I believe the ultimate response was 'no' as it would be detrimental to overall sound quality. I'm a little bummed as I already run stereo guitar and was really looking forward to sending a third amp block to an output that runs to my bass amp. I could set a pitch block, geq, etc. and get the lower bass notes to ring out in a bass amp while playing a single guitar. The concept of a third amp block had me excited as it would really simplify my setup. Guess I'm stuck with pedals for my bass amp for now. Who knows, maybe they will change their mind in the future. Either way, the Axe FX III sounds fantastic and has a multitude of options available!

There was a poll for 3 amp blocks but I believe the ultimate response was 'no' as it would be detrimental to overall sound quality. I'm a little bummed as I already run stereo guitar and was really looking forward to sending a third amp block to an output that runs to my bass amp. I could set a pitch block, geq, etc. and get the lower bass notes to ring out in a bass amp while playing a single guitar. The concept of a third amp block had me excited as it would really simplify my setup. Guess I'm stuck with pedals for my bass amp for now. Who knows, maybe they will change their mind in the future. Either way, the Axe FX III sounds fantastic and has a multitude of options available!

You can still run drive pedals, the "IR player" block, compressor etc for a 3rd chain for a bass, which would likely still sound quite good. Not exactly the same as running three dedicated amp blocks of course, but dual amp blocks and a signal path for a bass, or a synth etc should be quite doable and yield great results

There was a poll for 3 amp blocks but I believe the ultimate response was 'no' as it would be detrimental to overall sound quality. I'm a little bummed as I already run stereo guitar and was really looking forward to sending a third amp block (with a pitch block, etc.) to an output that runs to my bass amp. The concept of a third amp block had me excited as it would really simplify my setup. Guess I'm stuck with pedals for my bass amp for now. Who knows, maybe they will change their mind in the future.

The response from Cliff was not about more blocks being detrimental to "overall" sound quality. It was about the fact that, when three blocks are used, they would have to run at lower oversampling rates, and thus at a lower quality. This is how it already works in Axe-FX II (and maybe even in Axe-FX III, but I don't know that) when you choose to have two amps in a preset vs just one. Also, Cliff said "I haven't done it", not "I won't do it". And, not once Cliff would say no and then change his mind.

Then there was a bunch of volunteers who extended the concept further than what was stated.

Then the thread was locked. So I'm not sure how "ultimate" that response is.

You can still run drive pedals, the "IR player" block, compressor etc for a 3rd chain for a bass, which would likely still sound quite good. Not exactly the same as running three dedicated amp blocks of course, but dual amp blocks and a signal path for a bass, or a synth etc should be quite doable and yield great results

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll do some experimenting.

2 amp blocks with 4 channels each = 8 amps per patch (2 simultaneously)

2 cab blocks that load 4 ir's each, that can be mixed/matched any way you want. 4 channels for each cab block = 16 irs per block = 32 cabs per preset (8 simultaneously). 2 ir player blocks per preset that load a single ir x 4 channels each = 8 more ir's (2 simultaneously)

So 10 cab irs and one tone match block can run simultaneously in one preset while having an inventory of 40 cabs instantly available through channels. :eek:

There are over 2,000 factory ir's and over 2,000 user ir slots :eek:

There's more cpu horsepower (2 -3 times that of the II) available for more complex effects, more effect instances, effect chains and routing and more complex amp modeling.

The interface is a huge upgrade from previous units

Major usb audio interface upgrade

The effects upgrades/additions are almost to numerous to count :eek:

Back
Top Bottom