Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 4.03

Sadly, I have to agree. It is great to get the epiphanies quickly, but in the past the beta cycle was longer and there were fewer rapid-response bug fix releases. Something to reflect on.

Beta releases are “use at your own risk”. Production releases shouldn’t be. I’m sure A veteran like Cliff knows this but excitement may have gotten the best of him. We’re all human so no hard feelings but hopefully a lesson re-learned.

Nothing is ever bug-free; I see absolutely nothing wrong with how the releases have been going. Don’t be a kill joy :p

You’re more than welcome to wait to update, as has been previously stated, but remember that some here rather be on the cutting edge and we help make releases more stable by spotting issues faster via more people using the same firmware in different ways.

You can’t really expect cliff and company to go through every model and stress test them in every possible way for every release, can you? I’d cut them some slack and just have patience. If there are issues, report them; otherwise, enjoy.

I’m blown away by the development cycle and have absolute faith in the vision :)

Last edited:
Nothing is ever bug-free; I see absolutely nothing wrong with how the releases have been going. Don’t be a kill joy :p

You’re more than welcome to wait to update as has been previously stated, but remember that some here rather be on the cutting edge and we help make releases more stable by spotting issues faster via more peope using the same firmware in different ways.

You can’t really expect cliff and company to go through every model and stress test them in every possible way for every release, can you? I’d cut them some slack and just have patience. If there are issues, report them; otherwise, enjoy.

I’m blown away by the development cycle and have absolute faith in the vision :)

Not being a kill joy. The multi-year track record Fractal has wasn’t reflected here. Folks that have been around long enough know. And it has set our (my) expectation that releases are ready to go with few exceptions.

But, your expectations may be different and have been met. All a matter of perspective and you are welcome to yours too.

I too agree with the decisions the team makes on declaring a release ready for production. Including this one. There is no guarantee any length of beta testing would have found these small incidents. (I have been in s/w for a long time, for what it's worth).

You’re more than welcome to wait to update, as has been previously stated, but remember that some here rather be on the cutting edge and we help make releases more stable by spotting issues faster via more people using the same firmware in different ways.

And, BTW, I *do* expect every model to be tested thoroughly either in house or by the beta testers. We should expect no less.

I think some of us may be missing the value of rapid updates - to both the Fractal community and to FAS. By implementing his E-Cliff-anies and making the updates quickly, Cliff is putting his best foot forward, and by doing so, each of us goes to his/her favorite amp(s) and checks it out. This process causes bugs to show up quickly (and in parallel) and Cliff obliges by squashing them equally quickly. We are both the customers and part of the bug-detection squad. It's just a different way of working than most software companies but I for one am OK with that. For the record I manage radar system development and frequently manage both embedded software and GUI software projects. We don't work this way but our clientele are totally different. I think Cliffs firmware/software development cycle is quite appropriate for this product and this community.

At the risk of being fully incinerated to an unrecognizable pile of ash, IMO there still appear to be an over compressed and distorted quality to the Recto and SLO models, when using a pedal to boost input gain before the amp or using the boost function in the preamp page. I am running all amp parameters at default and particularly low master vol (i.e., 2.0) for the Rectos. 4.03 certainly improved the known issue with 4.01, but these models do not seem to sound as anticipated, as compared to earlier firmware versions or the real-deal sitting in my studio.

Not being a kill joy. The multi-year track record Fractal has wasn’t reflected here. Folks that have been around long enough know. And it has set our (my) expectation that releases are ready to go with few exceptions.

But, your expectations may be different and have been met. All a matter of perspective and you are welcome to yours too.

To argue that because things were a particular way in the past, and due to past patterns that means they should continue those patterns, is inductive reasoning. It's not valid or invalid, but more or less cogent with how things actually are. Thing is, the real world isn't made of static unchanging patterns, though change itself is the common denominator. Everything changes, they ebb and flow; just because things happen a particular way in the past doesn't necessitate that they will in the future.

Last edited:
There have been some production releases in the past that had bugs in them. The past track record you keep referring to would also show you that Cliff and co. are always on top of squashing them very quickly.

I don't have expectations! :p

Reactions: RDH
why isn't it possible to bring out a proper bug free version? I don't like being made a beta tester.

I think some of us may be missing the value of rapid updates - to both the Fractal community and to FAS. By implementing his E-Cliff-anies and making the updates quickly, Cliff is putting his best foot forward, and by doing so, each of us goes to his/her favorite amp(s) and checks it out. This process causes bugs to show up quickly (and in parallel) and Cliff obliges by squashing them equally quickly. We are both the customers and part of the bug-detection squad. It's just a different way of working than most software companies but I for one am OK with that. For the record I manage radar system development and frequently manage both embedded software and GUI software projects. We don't work this way but our clientele are totally different. I think Cliffs firmware/software development cycle is quite appropriate for this product and this community.

Totally agree!

I'm in the software business for almost 2 decades, working with all these xp, agile, lean, continuous blah blah blah ... you name it...
The pace FAS achieves is really remarkable and it couldn't be reached if a more conservative/tradicional QA approuch were used.

It's definately not for everyone but the time has proved that their formula works for them (and us).

There's no bug free software. No matter if it's beta, release or whatever, nobody should be crazy enough to install an update and go gigging with no previous checking/rehearsal. It's being said that pro users don't update their system in the middle of a tour, for example.

Keep rockin FAS!

Last edited:
Because there isn't a corporate team managed by an overarching agenda and systematic development processes and ruthless project leaders to polish product and push units. It's just one lunatic banging away in his lab throwing things at his elves.
Agreed. I think many of us are here, both as product users and forum members , partially to see the immediate results of singular genius sorta up close and personal, with a minimum of BS . .......something that few people actually get to witness. constant innovation is cool, and
Occasional glitches will occur....and we can help to find em.

Back
Top Bottom