Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
I am a bit of a high gain player. I just finished going through all of the high gain amps. First I changed all of the noise gates to one of the regular ones, no djent for me. I have to say
"371 DiezelHrbe: Rhythm.SS" is killer!!!
"377 QRod Plexi: Lowr /y" covers a lot of ground. Especially if you change the cab to something like "F057 4x12 Mar PR-H55 Full (OH)", or what I am using which is a Creamback alnico zilla cab from ML. With the more vintage sounding cab, and even lower gain in Y (only change I made) it can cover a lot of styles, and it sounds killer!!! So far my favourite by far!!

Thanks! Glad you are diggin' the tones.

That Diezel Herbie Rhythm SS preset reminds me very much of the guitar sound by the Black Crowes on the live version of 'Sometimes Salvation" - hence the SS included the name. One of my favorite heavy and killer guitar tones for sure!

Those high gain presets in that amp bank were dialed in for Djent style metal and higher ratio (4.0) and threshold (-50 or even -40) noise gate to get the fast cut off, with the help of a pro metal guy here who has used those sounds on popular recordings, but absolutely lower settings will work and I'd probably use them myself over the higher gains. But some of the amps will squeal with feedback at lower settings (just like the would in real life) so you have to dial it in.

I agree the QRod Plexi can do a LOT and different cabs are worth checking out. Also check out the Herbie2: LowPlex too - something really cool in the lower mids, reminds my of my old Bogner Blue XTC EL34 in the Plexi setting...

Last edited:
Thanks! Glad you are diggin' the tones.

That Dirzel Herbie Rhythm SS preset reminds me very much of the guitar sound by the Black Crowes on the live version of 'Sometimes Salvation" - hence the SS included the name. One of my favorite heavy and killer guitar tones for sure!

Those high gain presets in that amp bank were dialed in for Djent style metal and higher ratio (4.0) and threshold (-50 or even -40) noise gate to get the fast cut off, with the help of a pro metal guy here who has used those sounds on popular recordings, but absolutely lower settings will work and I'd probably use them myself over the higher gains. But some of the amps will squeal with feedback at lower settings (just like the would in real life) so you have to dial it in.

I agree the QRod Plexi can do a LOT and different cabs are worth checking out. Also check out the Herbie2: LowPlex too - something really cool in the lower mids, reminds my of my old Bogner Blue XTC EL34 in the Plexi setting...

There is something special about a high gain amp based off a plexi. I always miss my makoplex for that exact reason. Plus they usually react pretty well to the volume control, and boosts. I’ll check out the herbie again, but I found the qrod had a bit more cut, and more of an immediate feel which I like.

A lot of the high gain presets have a very aggressive noise gate that I personally didn’t like at all. If you go to the gate settings there are some presets that are in the pack. I’ll check which ones I used, and post it later. It is pretty much the standard AB gate. I used axedit to bulk change all of the high gain presets. If I find any of the ones I like feedback too much I’ll up the gate settings.

I found the gate thanks something new I learned: I was adding a gate block and it was probably getting gated twice,

I found the gate thanks something new I learned: I was adding a gate block and it was probably getting gated twice,

The gate setting I used for everything in the high gain pack are

Intelligent,
Threshold -70
Ratio 2.0
Attack 1.00
Release 20.0
Level 0.0

I find the amps sound better to me this way, but I might need to increase the threshold with some of the higher gain ones when cranked up loud. I just changed them all so that I can go through, and addition all of the sounds in the pack, which is what I am doing right now. I did a once through of all the high gain amps gave them a quick thumbs up, or down, then grouped all the marshall, diezel, mesa together, now I am going through them a second time. I eliminated about 1/2 of them the first time around, they just were not my style. Now I am going to try to get it down to two banks of my favourite high gain sounds so I can quickly go through them to match them to what I am playing

Hey austinbuddy, I bought the Naked Amps pack and I'm considering buying the Dream Rigs pack, but I was wondering if you planned on updating to Ares 1.00 once the final version is out?

Hey austinbuddy, I bought the Naked Amps pack and I'm considering buying the Dream Rigs pack, but I was wondering if you planned on updating to Ares 1.00 once the final version is out?

One day I will, but am working on other things right now...wouldn't be before summer probably. Also let's use see what else Cliff may do to it when final? The 10.01 presets (aside from any using the Ampeg SV Bass model) should work under ARES 1.x.

Last edited:

I have the Dream Rigs Pack and it's working well with Ares 1.00 Beta. For me it's improves the amp sounds and neeeds in same cases maybe minor tweaking, like the bass a bit down, depending on your guitar and pickups. So far most presets work great without doing any tweaks. ;) All I do is changing sometimes the amount of Delay and switch the Micro Boost to the TS808 with different settings in the drive block.

I have the Dream Rigs Pack and it's working well with Ares 1.00 Beta. For me it's improves the amp sounds and neeeds in same cases maybe minor tweaking, like the bass a bit down, depending on your guitar and pickups. So far most presets work great without doing any tweaks. ;) All I do is changing sometimes the amount of Delay and switch the Micro Boost to the TS808 with different settings in the drive block.
Yes it’s true that’s my opinion in my case. I’ve got the Ibanez JS 2410 MCO and I just need to tweak a litlle bit. But it sound good to my ears not eyes... A Big ATTENTION...

I appreciate the feedback guys on ARES 1.x. I just got my second Axe-Fx III, so now I can do a true A/B of 2.x versus 3.x, this weekend will crack that and let you know if there is any universal adjustments that can be done. Eventually there will be a TonePack update but the consensus so far is the sounds still work well. You should be hearing mids/upper mids better in 3.x...

Hi Austin - I upgraded XL + to Quantum 11.0, and was going through some of the Dream rig Bass presets. The three Ampeg presets have problems: 4bass AMPEGSVT1, 2 & 3. All the other bass patches work fine. Did this occur when I upgraded to the beta firmware?
thanks, Luther

Hi Austin - I upgraded XL + to Quantum 11.0, and was going through some of the Dream rig Bass presets. The three Ampeg presets have problems: 4bass AMPEGSVT1, 2 & 3. All the other bass patches work fine. Did this occur when I upgraded to the beta firmware?
thanks, Luther
Played around more with these presets and the EJrhythum. It seems like just certain ones are amp level sensitive to my guitars and input level setting. All good when tweaking those amp outputs... Thx

thanks, Luther
You mean ARES 1 not Quantum 11? Cliff changed the Ampeg SVT amp Model in the latest.

We hope he puts it back in. We’ll see. You can turn down the amp level to stop clipping, but those sounds from first SV Bass model cannot be replicated on the replacment model.

There is a Wish List thread on the Axe-III with several of us asking him to please add it back in future firmware.

You mean ARES 1 not Quantum 11? Cliff changed the Ampeg SVT amp Model in the latest.

We hope he puts it back in. We’ll see. You can turn down the amp level to stop clipping, but those sounds from first SV Bass model cannot be replicated on the replacment model.

There is a Wish List thread on the Axe-III with several of us asking him to please add it back in future firmware.
Well I am confused about the Firmware number. When I downloaded and installed what I thought was the Ares 1 into my AxeFX XL+, the Axe Edit shows “Quantum 11.0”. Is that the Ares firmware, or has something gone wrong with the download link? (Or me?)

Well I am confused about the Firmware number. When I downloaded and installed what I thought was the Ares 1 into my AxeFX XL+, the Axe Edit shows “Quantum 11.0”. Is that the Ares firmware, or has something gone wrong with the download link? (Or me?)
No worries. Same thing.

I spent most of my waking hours this weekend with this pack. It was work for another project but in the process I decided to dump the entire current contents of my AX8 and replace it all with the @austinbuddy presets.

This, it turns out, was an excellent decision.

What an amazingly well-dialed in collection of tones this is! The character of the amps is very noticeable. Buddy has paid a great amount of attention to making certain that going from amp-to-amp yields satisfyingly different results and not just the same tone dialed in on different amps. There were a whole host of amps in this pack I've never been able to make sound useful that were blowing my mind.

Money and time well spent, if you ask me.

I spent most of my waking hours this weekend with this pack. It was work for another project but in the process I decided to dump the entire current contents of my AX8 and replace it all with the @austinbuddy presets.

What an amazingly well-dialed in collection of tones this is! The character of the amps is very noticeable. Buddy has paid a great amount of attention to making certain that going from amp-to-amp yields satisfyingly different results and not just the same tone dialed in on different amps. There were a whole host of amps in this pack I've never been able to make sound useful that were blowing my mind.

Yes and yes.

Opening these up in the auditorium was an absolute treat. I’d pull up amp after amp. They all had their own personalities, and they all really sang. I only tested a few banks at a time, but each time turned into a 3-hour session, because I kept getting lost in the presets.

And it’s not just the amps and the cab choices. The effects are really well dialed in to be immediately useful and giggable. I routinely keep the top half of my AX8 filled with Dream Rigs presets. They give me hundreds of great tones and great starting points for whatever I want to build.

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

Opening these up in the auditorium was an absolute treat. I’d pull up amp after amp. They all had their own personalities, and they all really sang. I only tested a few banks at a time, but each time turned into a 3-hour session, because I kept getting lost in the presets.

And it’s not just the amps and the cab choices. The effects are really well dialed in to be immediately useful and giggable. I routinely keep the top half of my AX8 filled with Dream Rigs presets. The give me hundreds of great tones and great starting points for whatever I want to build.

I did the same thing with similar results. Time and money well spent indeed!

Back
Top Bottom