Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly do not see this as an improvement at all. In fact, it's a big step backwards as now you will have to scroll from the first page to the last page back and forth to dial in the basic sound of an amp. (SNIP)

I think there is a common design pattern that could be used that would satisfy both camps, and it could apply to both the amp block and the drive block. I've suggested it before: Instead of moving the additional controls, choose a color (or other visual indicator) to highlight the "stock" controls that the model has. That way the users would have consistent navigation and controls from one model to the next, but would still be able to discern what is stock.

There are arguments for both. Therefore it will be an option.

One argument for authentic is I constantly forget that the "Tone" control on a Tiny Terror is actually a High Cut. I instinctively adjust the Treble knob and then wonder why it doesn't sound right.
Could it be that original controls are indicated in a different color or some other way rather than a global switch? This way, all the info is right there & you don't have to go to another menu to change options if you want to see what the original controls were on a particular amp.

This is an awesome update. This sets up the axe to display the actual amp graphically if fractal wants to. The global parameter should make everyone happy. Thank you Clif...Thank you fractalites!

I can understand that to a point, but, at the same time, isn't a modeler inherently "impure" ? By nature we are avoiding issues with needing a certain level of output volme to get the tone we want, we have routing options the original didn't have, we don't need to deal with tubes, maintenance, its easier to transport etc.

I have a camera app on my smart phone that simulates doing a wet plate process style of image. The end photo looks basically like those old style plates did, and it doesn't have any controls, BUT, does that mean its at all like actually taking a photograph using a 19th century method ? No, so I can't really say I'm doing "traditional" photography while working with my smartphone, I'm still doing mobile photography with modern tech.

If we really wanted, we could model lots of limitations into the software. We could make it so that once you powered the unit on, you need to wait in standby for a given length of time before playing. We could model a tube going microphonic, tubes dying etc.

Basically it would be possible to emulates a lot of annoying limitations of hardware, BUT, no one would really want that feature, so we don't do it. I mean come on.... show of hands,.... mandatory 15 minute standby warmup page upon power up ? No one would enjoy that I don't think.

As such, we are kind of picking and choosing when we want to be "authentic" or "pure" etc, but when it comes down to it, its still all and all pretty darn modern.
Well if you’re gunna go that far where does it end..? Why stop at the amp? I think you’re missing the point.. these controls aren’t even on the amp(s).

One argument for authentic is I constantly forget that the "Tone" control on a Tiny Terror is actually a High Cut. I instinctively adjust the Treble knob and then wonder why it doesn't sound right.

Makes sense, thanks for providing the option. Being a relatively new user I'm looking forward to trying out 'authentic' to see how that works for me.

Another argument is that fractal has been criticized for having too many adjustmemts. That argument is now officially dead. Good move...

I'd bet good money if you put some timing on the UI experience for the situation you just described this is the biggest part of that step and the rest is immaterially small.
no.

turn around, go to front panel
press A knob (Amp 1)
Press Page Right 9 times
Press Nav Down 9 times - to show the full list of Tone and Gain parameters
Nav up or down to the parameter i want to adjust
Spin Value wheel as needed
Press Nav up or down to adjust a different parameter
etc.

vs

turn around, go to front panel
press A knob (Amp 1)
Press Page Right 1 time
Use A-E knobs to adjust multiple parameters as needed
Potentially need to Nav up/down to change rows, or just press D

the bold line in each is where you actually get the thing done. it's much faster with the Tone page vs the Advanced page. this should be pretty straight forward to understand.

the Tone page is first for a reason. every second counts at gigs. having to press buttons multiple times can lead to mis-presses.

Could it be that original controls are indicated in a different color or some other way rather than a global switch? This way, all the info is right there & you don't have to go to another menu to change options if you want to see what the original controls were on a particular amp.
for the feature of "only show the original controls", i agree that having them completely gone is a better choice than different colors. i still don't like the idea at all, but that's the better way to implement it.

for the feature of "only show the original controls", i agree that having them completely gone is a better choice than different colors. i still don't like the idea at all, but that's the better way to implement it.
Why? My way makes it a lot easier to see which were original controls without going to the global menu, making a change, then going back to the global menu to change it back & doesn't change the workflow at all form the way it has always been.

That would be nice, different colors for OEM / extra controls

Why? My way makes it a lot easier to see which were original controls without going to the global menu, making a change, then going back to the global menu to change it back & doesn't change the workflow at all form the way it has always been.
it still leans toward the "show all the controls" preference. having them completely gone really gives the sensation of the original controls only.

moot. we'll get an option.

it still leans toward the "show all the controls" preference. having them completely gone really gives the sensation of the original controls only.

moot. we'll get an option.
True. Still I don't understand the desire to limit yourself with a device like the Axe which can take you so far beyond the original amps. Anyway, having some option to not have this limitation forced on you is good!

Even better IMHO would be to leave the old basic page as it is and just add another page where you find a copy of the authentic controls.
And eventually a global setting to choose which one is opened by default when going into the amp block

Even better IMHO would be to leave the old basic page as it is and just add another page where you find a copy of the authentic controls.
And eventually a global setting to choose which one is opened by default when going into the amp block
I think that would confuse new users, as there are now 2 bass, mid, treble, etc controls in a similar layout. They’re already confused when Level appears several times. Now one Bass control is Basic bass and another is Authentic bass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom