Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Improved Drive block. WARNING!!! The sound of some of the drive models may have changed significantly.

· Drive models based on op-amp and diode clipping topologies have been completely overhauled.

· For many types there is now a “Dry Gain” control. This parameter controls the amount of “dry” signal mixed with the “wet” (distorted) signal. For a Tube Screamer-based model this will default to 100% due to the topology. For other types this will default to 0. Values up to 200% are allowed. Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits.

· Drive types based on op-amp and diode clipping circuits now allow control over the type and quantity of diodes in the positive and negative polarity. For example, the user can select (2) 1N34A diodes for positive signal polarity and (1) red LED for negative. Experiment with the various diode types and quantities to obtain new and unique sounds.

· The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

· Added several new types.

Added “All” to Tuner Input Source selection. This sums all inputs.

Tone page of Amp block now displays controls consistent with model. The full complement of tone and gain controls is available under the Advanced tab. Note: this change necessitates that the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset when changing the amp type. On some models extra controls (i.e. Bright, Depth) are included as common modifications include altering these values.

Fixed Tone Match block not updating correctly between preset changes if different Mode used.

Tone page of Amp block now displays controls consistent with model. The full complement of tone and gain controls is available under the Advanced tab. Note: this change necessitates that the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset when changing the amp type. On some models extra controls (i.e. Bright, Depth) are included as common modifications include altering these values.

Wow, I just noticed that. That will be a huge change! Probably necessitates a big Axe-Edit overhaul too. I kind of like the idea though, as it allows me to not have to go back and look at the models guide all the time.

I honestly do not see this as an improvement at all. In fact, it's a big step backwards as now you will have to scroll from the first page to the last page back and forth to dial in the basic sound of an amp. Not only that but if you change from 1 amp to a very similar amp, ie, double verb normal to double verb vibrato, you have to completely redial in everything. This will add a lot more work to my workflow! Is it possible to have this as an option or have the full complement of tone & gain controls on page 2 instead of the advanced page or have default controls a different color? Something other than having to scroll form the first to the last page to dial in basic tones!

Last edited:
Sup :D
Awesome.... ;-) been jamming all morning on the first beta,( all week really) take a break, and bam....Beta 2. You rock Cliff!!!
The new Drive overhaul is sounding awesome BTW ;)

MOSHON
DAVE

people have been crying for this for years. i am personally not excited for this change and have never supported it, as the workflow is now inconsistent.

very curious what the reaction will be from those who really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, needed this.

EDIT - since this post, we’ve been told this will be an option now. this post was originally written assuming it would only be “original controls” on the tone page only, which i and many others do not want.

Last edited:
Note: this change necessitates that the Bass, Mid and Treble controls are reset when changing the amp type. On some models extra controls (i.e. Bright, Depth) are included as common modifications include altering these values.
Honestly, I don't like this change - when I'm comparing different amps I'd like to hear how they sound with my B/M/T tweaks, and not have to dial it in from 5/5/5 every time I go back and forth. This adds a lot of extra steps to my workflow too. Sure, we could use channels, but that only works to a certain extent - there are often way more amps that are similar that we may want to compare (i.e. Fenders, Marshalls & variants, Class-A, metal amps, etc) than there are available channels.

I'm fine with showing only the authentic controls, but this was never something I cared about and given the tradeoff, would prefer it the old way. I get it if the way the code works necessitates this, but I've always been interested in getting a good sound, not whether the amp I'm tweaking doesn't have a Mid control (or whatever). I don't know what the overall consensus would be, but from my take on the forum discussions, there are way more people who are fine w/ all the controls, compared with the number of people who only want the authentic controls.

This will make a lot a people happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom