Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

I love this new spice drives, it's more authenticals to my ears.
i found a litlle interrogation on the low cut parameter (maybe this point have already been reported previously)
the value have 0-10 scale unit and not the "Hz" unit .?

Last edited:
I love this new spice drives, it's more authenticals to my ears.
i found a litlle interrogation on the low cut parameter (maybe this point have already been reported previously)
the value have 0-10 scale unit and not the "Hz" unit .?
The scale is now 0-10.

The real pedal has Gain, Bass, Treble, Level. The model has Drive, Bass Cut, Treble, Level. Seems pretty self-explanatory.
I guess that was what I was getting at; the real pedal has knobs labeled Gain, Bass, Treble, and Level, as well as a 3-way toggle, but both the Bass and Treble are cuts. The model has Drive, Bass cut, Treble (seems to be a boost and/or cut), and Level, but no toggle (of course, one can go in and mess with the parts on the advanced screen if you know what you're doing, which I don't, to achieve the toggles' positional tones). So yes, as far as being able to figure out the general direction of the tone you're trying to craft with the model, you're right. It is self explanatory; but my question was more along the lines of why it's generally pretty different than the pedal (again, including lacking the toggle).

Last edited:
I guess that was what I was getting at; the real pedal has knobs labeled Gain, Bass, Treble, and Level, as well as a 3-way toggle, but both the Bass and Treble are cuts. The model has Drive, Bass cut, Treble (seems to be a boost and/or cut), and Level, but no toggle (of course, one can go in and mess with the parts on the advanced screen if you know what you're doing, which I don't, to achieve the toggles' positional tones). So yes, as far as being able to figure out the general direction of the tone you're trying to craft with the model, you're right. It is self explanatory; but my question was more along the lines of why it's generally pretty different than the pedal (again, including lacking the toggle).
I don't follow. The real pedal has Gain, Bass, Treble, Level. The model has Drive, Bass Cut, Treble, Level. What's so hard to understand? The knobs act just like the pedal. I included "Cut" just to make things a bit clearer.

I don't follow. The real pedal has Gain, Bass, Treble, Level. The model has Drive, Bass Cut, Treble, Level. What's so hard to understand? The knobs act just like the pedal. I included "Cut" just to make things a bit clearer.
I think I'm just being unclear - I respect the hell out of you and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Allow me to first say that that's a great move to add "cut" to the dial's label. When I tried my first Timmy in a store years ago, I hated it because I put everything at noon and it sounded terrible; the knobs didn't behave at all like I expected them to; I'd never used a pedal with 'cut' knobs before. So that alone will probably save a lot of headaches for people new to the pedal coming to it for the first time through thei Axe Fx; so thank you for that!

I don't want to keep beating the horse 'til it's dead, but I guess I can ask my question a different way; is there a reason you went with a treble knob with a neutral "noon" position that both boosts and cuts when the real pedal just has a treble (cut) knob? In other words, why did you go with authentic behavior for the bass knob but opt for a different behavior of the treble knob? I would expect to see a "treble cut" knob defaulted at 0 (fully counterclockwise) but instead there's a treble knob defaulted at noon, which, on the Timmy, would make for a pretty muffled tone since that would mean the treble cut was about half-way up. In the model, you have to start at noon and turn counter-clockwise to achieve the same thing that, in the real pedal, you'd start fully CCW and turn the knob up to cut the treble.

Is this just to make it more versatile? If so, I mean, that's cool. And regarding the toggle, I guess I can check @yek's guide to see how I would adjust the advanced parameters and diodes in order to achieve the three positions; or is this feature planned for a future update? Sorry you're being assaulted by a Timmy-obsessed freak :D

I don't want to keep beating the horse 'til it's dead, but I guess I can ask my question a different way; is there a reason you went with a treble knob with a neutral "noon" position that both boosts and cuts when the real pedal just has a treble (cut) knob? In other words, why did you go with authentic behavior for the bass knob but opt for a different behavior of the treble knob? I would expect to see a "treble cut" knob defaulted at 0 (fully counterclockwise) but instead there's a treble knob defaulted at noon, which, on the Timmy, would make for a pretty muffled tone since that would mean the treble cut was about half-way up. In the model, you have to start at noon and turn counter-clockwise to achieve the same thing:D

It's just the default setting, If it works the same as the real pedal Is that important?

It's just the default setting, If it works the same as the real pedal Is that important?
But it doesn't - that's what I'm trying to say.

Ugh. Okay, I'm not going to mention it again; I'm sorry - I thought I was asking a relatively simple or straightforward question, but I guess not, so please disregard; I'll just accept the artistic license Cliff takes and enjoy the drive pedal for what it is, not what I think it should be :)

EDIT: Cliff has a different version of the Timmy than I do, so that's where my confusion arises from.

Last edited:
I think I'm just being unclear - I respect the hell out of you and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Allow me to first say that that's a great move to add "cut" to the dial's label. When I tried my first Timmy in a store years ago, I hated it because I put everything at noon and it sounded terrible; the knobs didn't behave at all like I expected them to; I'd never used a pedal with 'cut' knobs before. So that alone will probably save a lot of headaches for people new to the pedal coming to it for the first time through thei Axe Fx; so thank you for that!

I don't want to keep beating the horse 'til it's dead, but I guess I can ask my question a different way; is there a reason you went with a treble knob with a neutral "noon" position that both boosts and cuts when the real pedal just has a treble (cut) knob? In other words, why did you go with authentic behavior for the bass knob but opt for a different behavior of the treble knob? I would expect to see a "treble cut" knob defaulted at 0 (fully counterclockwise) but instead there's a treble knob defaulted at noon, which, on the Timmy, would make for a pretty muffled tone since that would mean the treble cut was about half-way up. In the model, you have to start at noon and turn counter-clockwise to achieve the same thing that, in the real pedal, you'd start fully CCW and turn the knob up to cut the treble.

Is this just to make it more versatile? If so, I mean, that's cool. And regarding the toggle, I guess I can check @yek's guide to see how I would adjust the advanced parameters and diodes in order to achieve the three positions; or is this feature planned for a future update? Sorry you're being assaulted by a Timmy-obsessed freak :D
I didn't. The Treble knob is exactly the same as MY pedal. I have a blue one.

I didn't. The Treble knob is exactly the same as MY pedal. I have a blue one.
Ah! That makes sense. I had no idea there were different version. Cool beans. Thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering what I was missing in this whole thing :D Does yours have the toggle? I'm not being facetious, genuinely wondering since that may have been a change over the years. I got mine from Humbucker Music (online) a few years ago. But yeah, that at least means I'm not crazy trying to figure out where our disconnect in communication was coming from lol!

I think the Blues OD just gave me a semi! And I've never been a fan of drive pedals......

Right? How cool are the drives now? I spent about an hour last night with an 808 cranked into a Triaxis clean; I've NEVER played with overdrive coming only from an 808. It sounded amazing. I love it!

I didn't know there were so many versions of the Timmy ? And I have no idea if the circuits are different or not ? But here's what I found after a quick search ....

• Bass Cut – ( Pre-Clipping )
  • Treble Cut – ( Post-Clipping )

".... Volume and Gain are pretty standard, so no need to go into those features. What makes this pedal special are the EQ knobs. Both are cut knobs. Fully counter-clockwise, they let in all the bass or treble. As you turn the knobs clockwise, they cut out. It’s a little backwards, but it makes sense once you start messing with the pedals. Paul says he made these like that because of the taper of the pots and doing it in reverse avoided dead spots.

The bass knob functions pre-distortion or before the clipping circuit. Other pedals dial out bass at a fixed level to avoid the bass being too muddy. The Timmy allows you to dial in as much or as little bass as you want. The treble knob functions post-distortion ...."​

Also, there are at least seven ( 7 ) different colors ( who knew that either ? ) !

1. Gold
  2. Blue
  3. Black
  4. Purple
  5. Green
  6. Orange
  7. White
I also found this ....
Timmy Schematic.png

Last edited:
Ah! That makes sense. I had no idea there were different version. Cool beans. Thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering what I was missing in this whole thing :D Does yours have the toggle? I'm not being facetious, genuinely wondering since that may have been a change over the years. I got mine from Humbucker Music (online) a few years ago. But yeah, that at least means I'm not crazy trying to figure out where our disconnect in communication was coming from lol!
The toggle changes the diode config. Right now the model is the center position. I plan on adding models for the other switch positions. This firmware is beta.

In your video comparison(thanks by the way), I tended to like your 3.01 sounds better. I could hear a similar character in all the 3.02 sounds. Maybe after you spend more time adjusting the new drives, you will make another comparison video(I hope).

I thought the same thing. On the video comparisons all of the new drives sounded much darker with too much low end. I thought maybe it was just the way he had them set. I haven't tried them yet myself.

Back
Top Bottom