Tip: Back up with Fractal-Bot

Oh ok good to know about the presets in a newer fw possibly being blanks in older fw.

So do you run into any issue with current settings you’ve created going to new fw and them not working right after

Oh ok good to know about the presets in a newer fw possibly being blanks in older fw.

So do you run into any issue with current settings you’ve created going to new fw and them not working right after
No... It's mostly a matter of something in the new FW that might adversely affect the presets I've created. Typically this would be some sort of change to the modeling algorithms or some bug that affects me.

On the Axe Fx II, I don't recall reverting FW more than once or twice from 2013-2019.

Usually, it's recommended to not update right before a gig...

In cases where there is a significant change to your sound, you can choose to revert or update your presets. For some, updating can be a real chore.

Everyone if different ;)

...was wondering do I need to keep the old back up or just write over it nothing but stock presets so far...
Each backup contains the date and time it was made, and that information is put into the filename. That means each backup will have a different filename, so they will never write over each other. :)

Thanks really appreciate you all for taking the time and helping me out with fw undate information. I think I will add fw number to the file description along with the saved date.

Such an important thing to do. Just to reiterate and share my own experience with this. I’ve had the Axe FX 3 since February and I’ve never had a problem with any firmware updates, glitches, etc.... until today. 😰

Updated to Firmware 7.00 and boom, all my user cabs were gone. So all my presets that I made now did not have an IR!!! This needless to say sounds horrible and I was in absolute panic mode. How much time was it going to take me to find the cabs/IRs for these presets again.

Luckily I backed up with Fractal-Bot prior to updating firmware and after 3-4 minutes all my cabs were loaded back and my presets were back to normal!!!

If you spend time tweaking or creating sounds at all, backing up your data is absolutely essential. Don’t take any shortcuts!

Such an important thing to do. Just to reiterate and share my own experience with this. I’ve had the Axe FX 3 since February and I’ve never had a problem with any firmware updates, glitches, etc.... until today. 😰

Updated to Firmware 7.00 and boom, all my user cabs were gone. So all my presets that I made now did not have an IR!!! This needless to say sounds horrible and I was in absolute panic mode. How much time was it going to take me to find the cabs/IRs for these presets again.

Luckily I backed up with Fractal-Bot prior to updating firmware and after 3-4 minutes all my cabs were loaded back and my presets were back to normal!!!

If you spend time tweaking or creating sounds at all, backing up your data is absolutely essential. Don’t take any shortcuts!
You don't know you've made a backup until you've used a backup to recover. So well done testing the system!

Your user cabs were gone, or they just didn't show up in Axe-Edit?

FYI The user cabs I installed/made since the last update have disappeared. No big deal it was only two of them that I made. Definitely worth it to back up though.

I'm backing up bank 1 and my system settings at the end of a programming session. I have BOT save them to the "odrive" folder of my computer, which is tied to several of my free google drive accounts and my Amazon 1TB cloud account. I can access them from the web. If I needed to, I could download and install FRACTAL BOT onto any computer on hand (although I normally bring my MacBook Pro with me) and restore my stuff.

I’m a Mac Air user , currently running Mojave.
Apples wants me to upgrade to the new Catalina but my AX8 freaked a bit so I immediately cancelled Catalina download. As a non techy, do you think it matters with my AX8 if I run Sierra, Mojave or Catalina?
Thanks.

I am running Catalina. I don't own an AX8 but there are probably users on the forum who have them and can comment about their experience if they upgraded to Catalina.

My only upgrade issue thus far has been my Slate Digital "everything" subscription plugins are not being recognized/authorized by Logic Pro since the upgrade. Slate is working on the problem.

I created a High Sierra USB boot and used Time Machine to backup my stuff so I could revert if need be.

I am not planning to revert. I can wait for Slate to figure things out. My MacBook Pro is too old for Catalina, and my Slate plugins work fine on the that machine for the time being.

Hi Guys
Hey I’m try to backup with fractal bot and I put it on receive and I can not get it to let me backup So I can install the latest FW.
Any ideas why this won’t work?

Hi Guys
Hey I’m try to backup with fractal bot and I put it on receive and I can not get it to let me backup So I can install the latest FW.
Any ideas why this won’t work?
exactly where does the process hang? Mac or PC?where is the default backup location? need more info to help

Sorry to derail but. being AxeEdit has Fractal Bot built in now can we backup from it? Also do we need the stand alone Fractal Bot any longer? Mac.

Hi Brad hey I just found that axe edit isn’t Being recognized by my pc windows 10 and that may be why bot isn’t working.
and it windows just gave me a message that it is not recognizing the USB

Back
Top Bottom