Can the Mic be eliminated by sum and difference?

Industry standards exist for a reason. We can always try new things. But it’s 2019. Electric guitar is coming up to be 100 years old. Certain things have probably been tried already.

Yet we still put a 57 on a paper cone.

Wouldn't you prefer the paper cone without the 57 at all? just asking

On the contrary, the sound of a mic'd cab always sounds either scooped and hi fi or smallish, but never as defined as the sound of the cab itself.
It’s mostly because the mic is inches from the speaker capturing one specific section. Your ears hear the entire cab and the sound bouncing off the room or surrounding objects.

I’ve mentioned this already. Others have too. This is the reason a mic sounds different.

Put your ear inches from the speaker and listen. It will sound very different.

I can post this again if you’d like.

It's not the mic per se'. It's near-field vs. far field. Different mics sample the near-field differently. Mic'ing a speaker is sampling the near-field which sounds dramatically different than the far field. The response pattern of the mic samples the near-field and mics each have their unique pattern.

Regardless, it's irrelevant. You'll never get monitors to sound like "cab in the room". If you want that use a SS power amp and cab. No amount of forum discussion is going to change physics.

upload_2019-2-19_20-28-39.png ... and please add " also members" to item 4 of your terms of service and rules. Thanks in advance.

On the contrary, the sound of a mic'd cab always sounds either scooped and hi fi or smallish, but never as defined as the sound of the cab itself. Again, level is not an issue. Even a 10" with Vol at 3 sounds more defined than a great recording at high volume on a great Hi Fi system.

Hm. Definition is something different. Bad presets, wrong IRs? I wouldn't say my presets can't keep up with real amps. They punch, they shout, they kill! It's just a different flavor, that's all.

Y'all know the G12T-75 was A PA loud speaker used in train stations right? It's what the dude threw in the box, what was available. I honestly don't see how a simple EQ curve applied to a modern FRFR driver couldn't compensate for 90% of the difference in freq response between it and your texas hot lizard alnico. To where in the far field, it throws the same sound. You're just stuck with the sound of the cabinetry it's in.

It's not the mic per se'. It's near-field vs. far field. Different mics sample the near-field differently. Mic'ing a speaker is sampling the near-field which sounds dramatically different than the far field. The response pattern of the mic samples the near-field and mics each have their unique pattern.

Regardless, it's irrelevant. You'll never get monitors to sound like "cab in the room". If you want that use a SS power amp and cab. No amount of forum discussion is going to change physics.

Isn't listening to an FRFR in a room IS Far Field listening....? Not sure why the FRFR has to sound like a mic'd cab instead of the cab itself... Is it because the IR capture technique has to involve a mic? Thats why I and several others ask if the Mic filter contribution can not be analyzed and isolated in one technique or another to emulate the speaker behavior without the Mic.
I think these are valid questions and not ones that have been answered.

Last edited:
Isn't listening to an FRFR in a room IS Far Field listening....? Not sure why the FRFR has to sound like a mic'd cab instead of the cab itself... Is it because the IR capture technique has to involve a mic? Thats why I and several others ask if the Mic filter contribution can not be analyzed and isolated in one technique or another to emulate the speaker behavior without the Mic.
I think these are valid questions and not ones that have been answered.
It doesn’t produce what you’re thinking it does. And it STILL won’t sound like you’re standing in a room with that cab. It can’t due to physics.
It’s mostly because the mic is inches from the speaker capturing one specific section. Your ears hear the entire cab and the sound bouncing off the room or surrounding objects.

I’ve mentioned this already. Others have too. This is the reason a mic sounds different.

Put your ear inches from the speaker and listen. It will sound very different.

I can post this again if you’d like.

Back
Top Bottom