This is why you are not sounding as good live as you sound at home

Couldn't agree more...the big difference I find between my studio monitors and my live FRFR's is headroom between presets especially going from say a USA Clean to one of the Friedman's live and loud within the same preset really needs to be tweaked over the combination of the FRFR's and PA in my particular case since I run from the FRFR to FOH which is significantly different after I tweak a preset than from the studio monitor from where I created it. I have been focusing on learning how to better blend presets which will have overall better balance with regard to headroom live than what might sound good sitting behind my studio monitors.
The Friedman's are a good example of an amp that sounds just awesome on it's own but requires a bit more thought live when combined between and within presets with other amps that naturally have more headroom like the Mesa's....Thanks for the video-I'd like to hear how other's approach this as well.

Great video. I think the key point the OP makes, which is huge, is you need to learn how mixes, or guitar tones, behave when it's time to translate what you've dialed in from one speaker (and/or environment) to another.

I'm still a relative AX8 newb (about a year in now), but I'm no stranger to the studio, or production etc. I've had better luck using my FRFR (which was only average TBH) to dial in my AX8 sounds. Then I'll check how they sound on my reference monitors, or at a rehearsal etc. When I'm using my reference monitors I'll bring up a jam track, or some tune I'm working on and play along. Which has been helpful for deciding if I've dialed in something too hot or too low in terms of EQ. As I've begun to learn how my sounds translate from one speaker to another it's definitely helped me gain more sonic perspective if that makes sense.

Of course not everyone has multiple speakers, or spaces available to experiment with how tones, or mixes translate from one box, or room to another. But each time I've learned something from it and I think it makes it easier to recognize when you've cut too much of this, or added too much 'that' to your tones.

The latest revelation for me has been getting an older used XiTone active wedge. That's been very enlightening in terms of what a huge difference there really is between a typical PA type FRFR (Alto or QSC in my case) and something like a XiTone. The difference in overall detail is hard to explain, but I love it.

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem, my tones live sound better than in the studio. Going to be experimenting with different setups and tweaking the power amp more

I've only played a handful of venues with the AX8 direct to FOH. As long as the sound engineer will set the channel on the mixer flat or EQ off, the tone has been pretty much the same as the tone dialed in at home with my Behringer B2030A monitors.

I agree. So basically this is the same take I have long held with the Axe-FX. The secret is "Mastering". Just as you would NOT listen through one set of speakers or at one volume when producing a recording, neither should you listen to your patches for the Axe on one set of speakers or at one volume...

I like my tone on passives PAs but hated my tone on any active speakers. There are some frequencies that I don't know which are that really pissed me off ,mainly in high volumes

Last edited:
I've only played a handful of venues with the AX8 direct to FOH. As long as the sound engineer will set the channel on the mixer flat or EQ off, the tone has been pretty much the same as the tone dialed in at home with my Behringer B2030A monitors.

One thing I did was to ask the FOH engineer to show me the EQ they put on my signal and use that info to tweak for the next show. Mostly what I saw was low-pass filters being applied. I think I got down to 4.5kHz in the Cab block before I had an FOH engineer say "I did nothing" ;)

One thing I did was to ask the FOH engineer to show me the EQ they put on my signal and use that info to tweak for the next show. Mostly what I saw was low-pass filters being applied. I think I got down to 4.5kHz in the Cab block before I had an FOH engineer say "I did nothing" ;)

That would work if you are always playing the same venue, with the same band. Your low-pass would probably be different in a massive venue with an outdoor stage when compared to a smaller room with lots of people.

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6's which seem to translate very well to our well-tuned PA at church. I dial it in at home, sounds great, plug in at church, still sounds great, no need to tweak further. I do ensure that I'm dialing in at a loud enough volume that the Fletcher-Munson effect doesn't apply. We're hitting around 103 decibels in the PA. So I guess I'm going about this all wrong since I'm using my studio monitors to dial in my tones.

3F0D5A1D-022F-42FC-BE6F-77FD2C711C0F.jpeg 842C8559-7C37-471A-BDB2-F2CBB482221C.jpeg

Very interesting. I have just built a 2x12 cab GRFR . The Dayton plate plate amp seems to offer a lot of customization in terms of eq HP and LP options . I am also gonna experiment with damping material in the cab to get the closest sound that I get with the AX7 monitors. It sounds preeety good already but I’m sure I can tweak this beast... and a beast it is.

Cab unfinished in raw wood

Last edited:
View attachment 52604 View attachment 52603

Very interesting. I have just built a 2x12 cab GRFR . The Dayton plate plate amp seems to offer a lot of customization in terms of eq HP and LP options . I am also gonna experiment with damping material in the cab to get the closest sound that I get with the AX7 monitors. It sounds preeety good already but I’m sure I can tweak this beast... and a beast it is.

Very nice. What drivers did you use?

That would work if you are always playing the same venue, with the same band. Your low-pass would probably be different in a massive venue with an outdoor stage when compared to a smaller room with lots of people.

That's fair. I was playing a circuit of very similar venues for a few years.

That's fair. I was playing a circuit of very similar venues for a few years.

It's a good idea though! I'm in a similar situation at the moment where that 'should' work for me aswell, however my problem is the sound engineer changes constantly each week and I never know what to expect from who is behind the desk and what mood they are in.

Speakers? Pardon if it was already stated. Very cool

Speakers? Pardon if it was already stated. Very cool
Celestion K12H-200TC.. they are 200 watt / max 400 watt. And a Dayton 800 watt plate amp. Wired up in parallel 4 ohm load to amp.
The speakers cut at about 10k but this is way above guitar freq response. But I can still experiment with say the eminence with the tweeters if these sound dull, but.. so far these kill from 100 paces.

I guess this is kinda the same as the xitone guitar wedge, that has one K12H speaker, I just wanted a bigger version that I could use in almost any situation. Sorry for the text changes. I edited the post
Would anyone know if FRFR guitar cabs or GRFR cabs are insulated inside? My guess would be that they are but anyone pulled a frfr apart?

Last edited:

Looks nice, but what is GRFR, please?

Back
Top Bottom