Use the Switch jacks on back of FC

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Is there a way to get a certain patch to be assigned to an external switch, via the 2 jacks on back of FC? Trying to get work arounds for lack of Global Preset on FC like MFC101 had. Ideas?

There is not a way to do this at this time. Being able to assign things to external switches as part of FC configuration came up several times during beta testing.

I hope it will happen eventually because I've got some uses for it as well.

There is not a way to do this at this time. Being able to assign things to external switches as part of FC configuration came up several times during beta testing.

I hope it will happen eventually because I've got some uses for it as well.
Hopefully this request for Global Preset does not fall on deaf ears with Fractal. Thus far they have not implemented being able to assign the front panel knobs to be whatever you want and then change on the fly with auto save. This would be amazing for tweaking patches at rehearsal and live. Hope they consider these great suggestions.

Hopefully this request for Global Preset does not fall on deaf ears with Fractal. Thus far they have not implemented being able to assign the front panel knobs to be whatever you want and then change on the fly with auto save. This would be amazing for tweaking patches at rehearsal and live. Hope they consider these great suggestions.

They do take all of these sorts of requests seriously. They have a lot of software as it is - every new feature needs to be evaluated, designed, implemented, tested, and maintained. Then there's the inevitable "will this get ported to the _____" questions that will ensue. In the end, it will always come down to prioritizing requests against the required level of effort and available manpower.

I did not use a global preset on the MFC when I had my Axe II, so I don't have much context for its use, but I believe on the FC you can assign a switch in a given layout to recall a specific preset number. Wouldn't this be the same as a global preset, but with the added flexibility of assigning additional different "global" presets to different buttons as desired? You just select the specific number instead of "global" for as many switches or layouts as you want. My apologies if I haven't understood, I just thought I would highlight.

I did not use a global preset on the MFC when I had my Axe II, so I don't have much context for its use, but I believe on the FC you can assign a switch in a given layout to recall a specific preset number. Wouldn't this be the same as a global preset, but with the added flexibility of assigning additional different "global" presets to different buttons as desired? You just select the specific number instead of "global" for as many switches or layouts as you want. My apologies if I haven't understood, I just thought I would highlight.
I used Global Preset for my main Lead sound. On the MFC101, any patch you were on, if you hit that same button again, would give you that main Lead sound via Global. No need to set up and kill a button on every bank to ONLY do that Lead tone. Extremely useful and utilized live all the time.

On the MFC, the global preset feature acted as a toggle. So in the FC, if a switch was set to go to patch 3 in bank, pressing again would go to alternate (lead), again patch 3 in bank, again alternate, again patch 3 in bank, again alternate, etc. The idea being that if the switch was on the "target" preset, pressing again would be the alternate, otherwise it would load the target.

@Tremonti Do you use the hold function on your presets page for anything? You could assign a hold on a preset button to jump to the global preset.
I do not have my FC yet...still waiting. But your above mentioned would not work as I use the global preset often and it must be quick and easy. Thank you for suggestion though

I do not have my FC yet...still waiting. But your above mentioned would not work as I use the global preset often and it must be quick and easy. Thank you for suggestion though

Are you getting a 6 or 12? With a 12, there's really enough switches for most situations to just dedicate a switch on any of your performance layouts to switch to the global preset. You can have those switches load your preset selector layout automatically via Layout Link so you can get back to where you were.

For example, assuming you have 3 layouts for performances - scenes, effects, and preset selection. Make your bank size 8. Dedicate Switch 6 for lead patch on all three layouts. On the scenes and effects layouts, have switch 6 layout link to preset selection. So you'll load your lead patch and switch to preset selection to get you back to where you can pick your patch to return to.

You could do this with the 6 as well but it's giving up 1/6th instead of 1/12th of your switches on each layout but it could work depending on your other needs.

Are you getting a 6 or 12? With a 12, there's really enough switches for most situations to just dedicate a switch on any of your performance layouts to switch to the global preset. You can have those switches load your preset selector layout automatically via Layout Link so you can get back to where you were.

For example, assuming you have 3 layouts for performances - scenes, effects, and preset selection. Make your bank size 8. Dedicate Switch 6 for lead patch on all three layouts. On the scenes and effects layouts, have switch 6 layout link to preset selection. So you'll load your lead patch and switch to preset selection to get you back to where you can pick your patch to return to.

You could do this with the 6 as well but it's giving up 1/6th instead of 1/12th of your switches on each layout but it could work depending on your other needs.
The 12. But seems silly that the MFC101 could do something that the newer FC can't? You can assign the IA's to be anything per preset now but a global preset was not carried over from the MFC101? Is what it is, but if never implemented it makes things a little more tedious to set up IMO. I must be the only guy to use the global preset as no one else seems to love that feature.

The 12. But seems silly that the MFC101 could do something that the newer FC can't? You can assign the IA's to be anything per preset now but a global preset was not carried over from the MFC101? Is what it is, but if never implemented it makes things a little more tedious to set up IMO. I must be the only guy to use the global preset as no one else seems to love that feature.

The MFC can actually do a bunch of things that the FC can't. The FC can do a LOT that the MFC can't. They're just two different products.

I don't know if you're the only guy to use the global preset, I just know I never did.

No, you're not the only one.

Danny W.

The benefit of the global preset for the uninitiated is the ability to use a single button to toggle between your current preset and the global preset.

This can be very handy to switch to a solo preset and back without the need to move your foot to another button.

I personally think it would be easy to implement as another "preset toggle" option on the FC...

I actually think it would be nice to have a whole "second tap" category (as mentioned in the wish thread for this topic).

Back
Top Bottom