Help with an external footswitch?

fsharpminor

Inspired
Hi all, pro user and fractal lover here....I have my ax8 all set up with various presets all of which have a null filter set to external footswitch 4 to do a volume boost, not for soloing, just when i dont feel loud enough over all... works great except when I switch between presets the null filter stays activated unless I switch it back. even if it is saved bypassed in the preset it stays on if I am switching from another preset where I have been using it. Kind of annoying as i always forget whether i have it on or not? Anyone else experience this? Footswitch is a latching Hosa FSC 384

I may be wrong but I think this is normal. The axe polls the state of the external switches and sets it's state accordingly to the next preset.

Hi all, pro user and fractal lover here....I have my ax8 all set up with various presets all of which have a null filter set to external footswitch 4 to do a volume boost, not for soloing, just when i dont feel loud enough over all... works great except when I switch between presets the null filter stays activated unless I switch it back. even if it is saved bypassed in the preset it stays on if I am switching from another preset where I have been using it. Kind of annoying as i always forget whether i have it on or not? Anyone else experience this? Footswitch is a latching Hosa FSC 384
I think you would need a momentary switch to get around this.

Turn of PC Reset. With PC Reset enabled a controller will load the value stored in the preset and change only when the external controller is updated (see p.66 of the manual).

Turn of PC Reset. With PC Reset enabled a controller will load the value stored in the preset and change only when the external controller is updated (see p.66 of the manual).
PC reset is off.....I will go back and look at it but this doesnt appear to make ant difference,

could it be that the filter block that I am using has some sort of global setting? I am loading it from my blocks library?

IIRC, the AX8 sees the switch as on if that was the last thing you did... even if it's a momentary switch. Had long discussions about this a couple of years ago. Made no sense that it operates this way, but it seems that's how it does.

Check out p.19 of the manual
still the same, just to be clear, latching footswitch in to pedal 4 controlling a null filter....ax8 knows its latching (page 19), and the pc reset is set to off.... when i change preset the ax8 keeps the filter in the same state as it is in the previous preset. Annoying, but not the end of the world...anything else i might be doing wrong?

IIRC, the AX8 sees the switch as on if that was the last thing you did... even if it's a momentary switch. Had long discussions about this a couple of years ago. Made no sense that it operates this way, but it seems that's how it does.
did you find work around?

still the same, just to be clear, latching footswitch in to pedal 4 controlling a null filter....ax8 knows its latching (page 19), and the pc reset is set to off.... when i change preset the ax8 keeps the filter in the same state as it is in the previous preset. Annoying, but not the end of the world...anything else i might be doing wrong?

Don't think so. Maybe worth being reported in the bugs&wishes forum.

thanks dude.... I will also assign the filter to a control switch on the main board, I know that works. Just trying to free up some switches.

Just as you ...I use 2 external switches to control 2 null filter blocks.

1 filter for +3db and the other for -3db

I must make sure the status is off for both filters whenever I change presets.

As needed per preset, I add the filter blocks to the pedal board effects as this keeps me aware of the status of those filter blocks ....ie off or on

Some presets the pedal effects are filled with other than the filters however ....which means I don’t require the usage of those filter blocks in those presets, though they may or may not be used in those presets itself.

This is how mine is set up.

However, this has got me thinking to see if I can streamline the pedal effects and keep those filter blocks and use control switches and not have to worry about their status anymore....and get rid of the external switches

The switch has a polarity that the ax8 is reading switch engaged = pos and off = neg or vice versa. If you set the Filter block controller to PC OFF then it will always read the status of the switch and apply it to the block even when switching presets. Setting it to PC ON will ignore the state of the switch when you switch presets, and so if you switch the Filter block ON in preset 1 and then switch to preset 2 (where you’ve stored the FILTER Block as Bypassed) the FILTER will be bypassed This is how you want it to work BUT........... the Ax8 still knows the polarity of your switch so when you go to stomp it to kick the filter on in preset 2 nothing happens. Why? Because the switch polarity is still POS since you switched it on in your previous preset. This doesn’t reset so when you stomp it in preset 2 the switch now sends a NEG (OFF) signal. If you stomp it again the FILTER will then engage. It’s not ideal but if you only use that controller switch to engage that particular block in all of your presets it’s a workaround that you can prob deal with.

The switch has a polarity that the ax8 is reading switch engaged = pos and off = neg or vice versa. If you set the Filter block controller to PC OFF then it will always read the status of the switch and apply it to the block even when switching presets. Setting it to PC ON will ignore the state of the switch when you switch presets, and so if you switch the Filter block ON in preset 1 and then switch to preset 2 (where you’ve stored the FILTER Block as Bypassed) the FILTER will be bypassed This is how you want it to work BUT........... the Ax8 still knows the polarity of your switch so when you go to stomp it to kick the filter on in preset 2 nothing happens. Why? Because the switch polarity is still POS since you switched it on in your previous preset. This doesn’t reset so when you stomp it in preset 2 the switch now sends a NEG (OFF) signal. If you stomp it again the FILTER will then engage. It’s not ideal but if you only use that controller switch to engage that particular block in all of your presets it’s a workaround that you can prob deal with.
Good explanation, but if it's a momentary switch, then shouldn't it always be reading it the same until you step on it?

OP said he is using a latching footswitch.

Depending on its polarity setting a Momentary switch typically reads “OFF” when not in use and “ON” while holding it down. If the OP were using a momentary switch he wouldn’t have the problem he’s having because he’d would need to take his foot off the momentary switch to trigger an Ax8 footswitch when changing presets.

Maybe the PC RST works for continuous controllers only. I need to experiment with a TRS-TS cable and a resistor to verify that theory.

Back
Top Bottom