Another One Joins The 3'sters

WW Audio

Inspired
Against my better fiduciary judgement, I've just pulled the trigger on a new III. I've had my FX2 XL for nearly 5 years and it's been the best piece of guitar kit I've ever purchased. Once the III arrives and I get my presets ported over, there'll be an AxeFX 2 XL and MFC mark III with Stomp Lable tags up for sale. A big Thank You to Cliff and the entire FAS crew for their hard work and dedication to creating world class gear - as well as their commitment to their growing customer base's satisfaction. I wish more companies would adopt FAS's business model. Also, a big round of thanks and applause to this great FAS community for sharing its knowledge on all the FAS gear.

Once you go Frac, there's no going back. - the journey continues.......

Last edited:
For those of you who've already made the move, did you port your presets over using FracTool? If so, did you run into any issues with the converted presets?

For those of you who've already made the move, did you port your presets over using FracTool? If so, did you run into any issues with the converted presets?

I didn't bother, just started from scratch as I wanted to learn the unit. Also used the front panel, like i did with the ultra and the II first, then onto the editor.

I have a metallica based preset made with tonematch on the 2 that is KILLER. It sounds like poo on the 3. With that said, the 3 is WAY better on every other patch. I will figure it out.

I have a metallica based preset made with tonematch on the 2 that is KILLER. It sounds like poo on the 3. With that said, the 3 is WAY better on every other patch. I will figure it out.
I'm assuming I may run into that some of that as well. No worries, though, it's a snowy day here in SW Spudland so I figure it's a good day to spend a few hours doing up some presets from scratch. UPS says my new III is on the truck and out for delivery today - originally wasn't gonna be here til Monday. UPS has teased me before though, so there may or may not be any pants pooping today. ;)

ToneMatch doesn't even often survive FW updates on the Axe Fx II from my understanding, so no surprise it doesn't translate to the Axe Fx 3 and a different modeling algorithm.

New III arrived today. Didn't have much time to more than just rack it and get the basic I/O setup. Can't seem to get the Axe to recognize the expression pedals....tried multiple known good TRS cables and the pedal setup in the I/O menu couldn't be easier. Not sure what's going on but I'll spend more time on that later - probably something I'm missing. Other than that, loving the new rig and it sounds great.

CONNECTING PEDALS DIRECTLY
This section is for pedals connected to the local “Expression” jacks of the Axe-Fx III. For pedals connected to a MIDI or FC Series controller, see the next page.
Each of the two local Expression jacks of the Axe-Fx III allows you to connect one expression pedal or one external footswitch. A connected pedal or switch can change effect parameters, or operate any of a long list of global functions. Many factory presets are ready for use with one or more pedals.
TO CONNECT & CALIBRATE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL . . .
Expression pedals for the Axe-Fx III should have a linear resistance taper and must have a maximum resistance in the range of 10–100kΩ. Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables!
Connect your expression pedal to the desired jack with a TRS cable, then follow these instructions to calibrate: Page to the Pedal page of the I/O menu under SETUP.
Ensure that Pedal Type is set to “CONTINUOUS”.
Navigate to the Calibrate Pedal function and press the ENTER button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration

Page 12-13 in the owners manual

New III arrived today. Didn't have much time to more than just rack it and get the basic I/O setup. Can't seem to get the Axe to recognize the expression pedals....tried multiple known good TRS cables and the pedal setup in the I/O menu couldn't be easier. Not sure what's going on but I'll spend more time on that later - probably something I'm missing. Other than that, loving the new rig and it sounds great.

CONNECTING PEDALS DIRECTLY
This section is for pedals connected to the local “Expression” jacks of the Axe-Fx III. For pedals connected to a MIDI or FC Series controller, see the next page.
Each of the two local Expression jacks of the Axe-Fx III allows you to connect one expression pedal or one external footswitch. A connected pedal or switch can change effect parameters, or operate any of a long list of global functions. Many factory presets are ready for use with one or more pedals.
TO CONNECT & CALIBRATE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL . . .
Expression pedals for the Axe-Fx III should have a linear resistance taper and must have a maximum resistance in the range of 10–100kΩ. Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables!
Connect your expression pedal to the desired jack with a TRS cable, then follow these instructions to calibrate: Page to the Pedal page of the I/O menu under SETUP.
Ensure that Pedal Type is set to “CONTINUOUS”.
Navigate to the Calibrate Pedal function and press the ENTER button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration

Page 12-13 in the owners manual

Yep, did all that. Same pedals I had on my 2Xl, same cables, everything. Worked flawlessly on the 2XL. Still not ruling out that I've missed something somewhere though.

Yep, did all that. Same pedals I had on my 2Xl, same cables, everything. Worked flawlessly on the 2XL. Still not ruling out that I've missed something somewhere though.
Did you try the global setup? I know I ran into the very same thing and I don’t remember how the heck I made it work. After I had got the Pedal working and stopped using it defaulted back to the off position.

Haven't checked Global settings yet. Don't recall having to do that on the II, but it was quite awhile ago and memory ain't what it used to be. Haven't been able to spend enough time setting things up yet but I'll be poking around more on the III this week. Thanks for the info.

Sussed out the expression pedal issue.....yep, it was me. Again. Spent some time last night just noodling with the factory presets and....damn! Two hours went down the event horizon of a near-earth singularity and pants pooping mode was achieved. The wizards of electron manipulation in NH have done it again. Well done Cliff and FAS team!

Sussed out the expression pedal issue.....yep, it was me. Again. Spent some time last night just noodling with the factory presets and....damn! Two hours went down the event horizon of a near-earth singularity and pants pooping mode was achieved. The wizards of electron manipulation in NH have done it again. Well done Cliff and FAS team!
Awesome I’m glad you got it figured out. I’m going to have to get back on mine and get it figured out again. I have had to store it in our Rv for now we are trying to get our house rebuilt from Hurricane Michael. I have really been wanting to work with it but things have been a little crazy for us. Keep on letting us all know how things are going with your Ax Fx iii. Did yours default back to off when you were done? Or is it still working the way it was when you turned it off. I had to recalibrate mine because it was defaulting to off. Don’t know if it is just me probably me lol.

Nothing to set in Global settings that I can tell. Actually, it was just setting the correct source in the modifiers page. On the II's, it was External 1, External 2, etc. On the 3's, if you're plugging directly into the back of the unit itself, you choose Pedal 1 or 2. I was choosing the External controllers and wondering why nothing worked. Totally boneheaded move on my part. I'd even read something about that in the user's guide a few weeks before ordering the III and spaced it off.

Back
Top Bottom