Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that is there is some of the modeling improvements. It was all I could do to get that to run and fit. I kept running out of memory. There simply isn't any more room for more stuff.

The Axe-Fx II design is nearly 8 years old now. The board only has 256M of memory. Contrast this to the Axe-Fx III which has 4G.
make different packages
for different needs;)

make different packages
for different needs;)

There's already several Axe-Fx models to maintain. If anything I would drop some of the variant amp models or Axe-Fx Std/Ultra ported models and fill that space with say more effects preset options (e.g. overdrive, delay etc models of specific pedals). Those who don't like this can always stick to an older firmware.

There's already several Axe-Fx models to maintain. If anything I would drop some of the variant amp models or Axe-Fx Std/Ultra ported models and fill that space with say more effects preset options (e.g. overdrive, delay etc models of specific pedals). Those who don't like this can always stick to an older firmware.
Who need "300" different Amps?

I agree that the Axe has too many duplicates of models. Just pick the best one, and keep it...
For example, why do we have the modern and the vintage, and the thordendal version of the recto?
If we lack space, and it was up to me, I'd choose to fill that space with more amp modelling improvements, rather than same amp variations.

You are right! For example: I only use the "Marshall- Type" and its done!
Yes basically it’s like me but I use Friedman and others but it’s good take other amps just in case your taste changes... Depends everything. Like I said it’s a matter of taste...

Another question: What about Friedman HBE 2018 C45? It still out of AxeFx 2 firmware?

I am not sure. There seems to be a spelling issue in Axe Edit list (Friedman HBE 201"square") . If you select it is says Friedman 2015.37. On the Axe Fx II XL itself, it says Friedman HBE 201. I didn't see it at first because it comes after the Fryette D60 M because it is not in all capital letters like the other FREIDMANs on the list.

I am not sure. There seems to be a spelling issue in Axe Edit list (Friedman HBE 201"square") . If you select it is says Friedman 2015.37. On the Axe Fx II XL itself, it says Friedman HBE 201. I didn't see it at first because it comes after the Fryette D60 M because it is not in all capital letters like the other FREIDMANs on the list.
Maybe it's gonna be renamed when the official firmware is released.

I would image that there are users out there who really enjoy each and every one of the amp models. I’m sure there are models that are more popular than others but still.... how would you feel if your favorite model that is the main part of your tone was removed ?

Adding stuff is great, can benefit everyone, but when you start taking stuff out that some people use to try to add stuff other people may or may not use it’s a slippery slope.

I personally don’t really use any of the Mesa models. Just not my thing really, though they do sound good and accurate. I wouldn’t care if they were gone tomorrow, especially if it added something I’d use more, BUT, I bet there are some folks who wouldn’t be pleased about that in the slightest.

Just sounds like a lose lose for Cliff, as he takes soemthing away, people complain, enough people complain, he puts it back, changing soemthing else, or trying to maintain 2 versions of firmware, with one being hard enough. I sure wouldn’t even want to start down that road if I was him.

Last edited:
Removing amp models doesn't solve the memory problem. Those go in external data memory. The problem is internal code memory is full.

I will release a final version of this firmware in a few days. That will be the last update (barring bug fixes) for the Axe-Fx II.

I spent a lot of time porting the Ares stuff to the II as a gift to the community. It's time that I could've spent working on new products. Thank you to those who actually appreciate that effort and particularly those who expressed that appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom