Amp XY/preset change fade-in: unnecessarily long?

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Is there a reason the amp block has to do a fade-in lasting over 100 ms on XY or preset changes? This makes the next note sound very weak when played around the start of the fade-in. Is it possible the fade-in could be reduced to ~10 ms?

tSe7zVV.png

Don't see why it couldn't be reduced to 10 ms without a pop, at least looking at that waveform. 100 ms is an age; are you sure your time scale is right (I'm sure it is, but I had to ask). I estimate a 150 Hz signal?

I'm sure it was correct. Here's another with project time (seconds) visible.

bAjveB9.png

I also think the fades should be linear instead of these log curves. The fade out creates audible pops sometimes. It would be fine if linear at the current length (15 ms) but the log curve starts fading at a rate that would end up being around a 2 ms linear curve.

laNeqDN.png

In what scenario? For a 10-15 ms fade all I notice is there's less of a pop with linear. I get that linear fades don't seem as nice for something like a song fade-out.

All scenarios, I would say. However, non-linear fades can also be short. There’s nothing that dictates that they should be 100 ms.

6 months later... Why no response, FAS?

Would a faster amp fade be as simple as changing a value or two in the code?

I second this... I think the last firmware improved it but I still can hear the gap and I have to adapt my footswitching because of it.

Tomorrow is a full year. The lack of response here is disappointing. Can this ridiculous fade-in time be improved, FAS?

Still just as bad in Ares 1.00 final.

Why hasn't this been corrected or responded to? The slow fade is the only thing preventing amp XY switching (to most amp types) from being about equal to the Axe-FX III's channel switching speed. I posted a way to counter the fade here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/page-2#post-1630877 but this gets tedious to set up in every preset. The III also uses linear fades as suggested in post #6.

bvNb8VV.png

@FractalAudio, is it possible a wrong value was entered for this fade time around summer-fall 2015 (Quantum 1.00)?

I tried a few older firmwares a while ago. It wasn't quite as bad in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom