AFIII Porcupine Tree cover - firmware 3.0

I do it in cubase with the time warp tool, with the track set on musical mode. Load up a recording, find the median or start tempo, plug it in at the tempo track start point, then you can stretch the grid to fit the audio transients, audio file stays still and the whole project grid stretches to where you need it.

That way you can have a free time song, or one that the tempo is batshit crazy, and still use the midi grid to program drums, get in at the sample level to drop the drum sample at the right spot, but keeping the hit quantized on the grid, moving the grid to where you want the sample to fall, to to where it's transient falls like a hammer right where the drummer dropped it.

The DAW tempo constantly recalculates the tempo between transient markers, speeds up slows down (along with the click). I can extract the soul of Gavin Harrison or Abe Cunningham and put them on whatever kit I want, the song linked up sample for sample with the recording. (Try to set a click to System of a Down 'Psycho') :eek:

Some Deftones love !

I’d LOVE to be albe to get the clean sound on “Digital Bath” ! Well actually ALL of the guitar sounds :)

@fremen Great work on the tones! Any chance you'd be willing to share the tremolo/rotary preset? (Also, is there a way to convert them for a II XL+?)

Some Deftones love !

I’d LOVE to be albe to get the clean sound on “Digital Bath” ! Well actually ALL of the guitar sounds :)

Maple neck-thru 25.5 scale 24 fret adler wing Japanese ESP [horizon equivalent], Drop C, Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Marshall JMP-1 + 9200 + 1960A + Visual Sound H20 (version 1) + a big fat blunt. That's for SRC, I don't know what Chino recorded with other than an SG. Crapiest clean tone ever recorded, bulldozer of a song!

Last edited:
Start of Something Beautiful - I have a lot of memories associated with that song. Everything about that song is musical brilliance - from the time signature (which took me a while to to figure out), Gavin's impeccable drumming, and the keys - my god, the keys! Will have to listen to this cover when I get home, and with good speakers.

"Digital Gavin" : por ejemplo...every sample in this is snapped to the grid 100%. The grid can get dragged onto the transients of the audio file, and the DAW click speeds up and slows down constantly, so that anything on the grid goes along with the audio file you set up the markers on, pushing and pulling to meet the markers on time. and uhhhhh Jacobs Ladder is going to take a minute wtf Mr. Peart.

Samples are NI Battery 3 Glitch Kit, Download the Battery Preset and the MIDI file (when it asks to import the tempo information, say yes and it will automate your master tempo track :D) with tempo data here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7znqw9bc96kn4or/AAB0iDMmu-q2Rsaq4agPTBSBa?dl=0

@fremen Deftones "Battle Axe" and Breaking Benjamin "Diary of Jane" is in that shared folder link too, Soundcloud spanked me for trying to post the audio.

Diary of Jane:

Digital Abe:

Digital Josh:

Last edited:
Maple neck-thru 25.5 scale 24 fret adler wing Japanese ESP [horizon equivalent], Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Marshall JMP-1 + 9200 + 1960A + Visual Sound H20 (version 1) + a big fat blunt. That's for SRC, I don't know what Chino recorded with other than an SG. Crapiest clean tone ever recorded, bulldozer of a song!

Def a blunt...I mean it’s Stephen Carpenter so...

Sounds pretty awesome to me...

This is fantastic, Freman! Nice work dude.

Yes to Open Car! - that was the first PT song I heard, based on a list of music that Neil Peart was listening to.

Yes to Jacob's Ladder Rush version! - such an awesome song.

I mentioned before interest in a PT/SW preset pack... maybe could just be a general AxeFX Prog Rock guitar and bass bank. Presets for Rush, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc... I bet that would be a popular preset pack.

This is fantastic, Freman! Nice work dude.

Yes to Open Car! - that was the first PT song I heard, based on a list of music that Neil Peart was listening to.

Yes to Jacob's Ladder Rush version! - such an awesome song.

I mentioned before interest in a PT/SW preset pack... maybe could just be a general AxeFX Prog Rock guitar and bass bank. Presets for Rush, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc... I bet that would be a popular preset pack.

I’d def be in to buy a PT/SW preset pack. Absolutely.

And since we're talking about Porcupine Tree..

Thanks for this :)

@fremen Great work on the tones! Any chance you'd be willing to share the tremolo/rotary preset? (Also, is there a way to convert them for a II XL+?)
I just added the preset to my Friedman BE/HBE amp pack ( https://fremenpresets.com/axe-fx-iii-amp-packs/ ), as I used the first preset of that pack and tweaked it for that song. I also have a XL+ version of that amp pack, but not of that preset.

Rotary settings :
Rate 6.610, Hi & low depth 50%, hi level 0.80, Hi Time constant 0.800, Rotor length 35%, Mic spacing 50%, mix 100%

Tremolo settings of the amp block :
Tremolo Freq 3.761, Tremolo depth 23% (for the solo at 6:05) and much more than that for the chords at 4:44 (I think, not sure)

Reverb channel C (used with the Les Paul and the Suhr clean arpeggio) is Nimbostratus with these settings : time 7.78, input gain between 35 and 50

I'm going to do another video soloing some guitar parts and showing the Axe-Fx III settings

Yup.. But at the same time I love the tone when he plays Even Less with it in his last DVD.
I wish he played the studio version on that show though ; that's the first PT song I heard back in 1999/2000 and I have a personal bond with the original

I'm definitively going to do this for the Axe-Fx III. I love Rush and PT, and also Marillion, Devin Townsend... I also have a Dream Theater pack in the back of my mind, as I have all their songs in Jammit format.
But, I already have a Pink Floyd pack though, how could you miss it ? ;) I'm currently play in a Tribute to Pink Floyd band, but our next gig (30th March) will be the last. After that I'll have more time for the Porcupine/Rush/Dream Theater stuff, and for more videos too

Back
Top Bottom