ML Sound Lab - Amp Packs TEASER!

As for updates, I own all these modelers and have them in use at the studio. If there is a big significant change firmware that completely changes the sound of these presets we'll most likely do a free update. I have to say that one of the reasons I have been hesitant in doing this during all these years is the possibility of new firmware making the presets obsolete but I've been very happy with not having to tweak presets after firmware updates for about two years now.

Have you tried these presets with FW3 yet, and if so, what's your opinion on how the sound changed?

Have you tried these presets with FW3 yet, and if so, what's your opinion on how the sound changed?
It still measures the same response EQ-wise. There's just always that feeling with new firmware that I get that it's always "better". :D I think the changes that are being made go being EQ. Not more low end, mids or treble or anything like that. :)

I got the amp pack yesterday night and played with it for a couple of hours at bedroom volume. First impressions are very good: very balanced tones, warm and tight low end... can't wait to try it in the room with the band.

I use the run output2 to my solid state PA + real cab: should i tweak the presets for that case use (beyond adding the fx loop before the cab block)? I also run output1 direct to FoH.

Thanks for any tips and for the preset, i'm looking forward to hear ML's next amp pack

I got the amp pack yesterday night and played with it for a couple of hours at bedroom volume. First impressions are very good: very balanced tones, warm and tight low end... can't wait to try it in the room with the band.

I use the run output2 to my solid state PA + real cab: should i tweak the presets for that case use (beyond adding the fx loop before the cab block)? I also run output1 direct to FoH.

Thanks for any tips and for the preset, i'm looking forward to hear ML's next amp pack
Hey that's great news! Solid state + real cabs is sometimes a bit of a mystery when it comes to setting the impedance curve correctly but if I've understood it correctly just leave the power amp modeling on the way it is and you should be good to go. If you feel like the sounds are honky or too bright then maybe something needs to do about the impedance modeling but it should work straight out of the box. :) Let me know how things work out.

Solid state + real cabs is sometimes a bit of a mystery when it comes to setting the impedance curve correctly but if I've understood it correctly just leave the power amp modeling on the way it is and you should be good to go

Thank you for your feedback.

I'll try leave things as they are and see how it goes. I'm tempted to switch off the the low and high resonance in the amp block when going to PA + real cab but this would compromise the tone for FOH so I always end up not doing that. By the way, with solid state power amps, high and low resonance can be left as they are, or at least that's what i've experienced so far with my powerstage 170 + cab. I'll report back after testing at band's volume. Thanks again!

Tried this last night - sounds fantastic. I use Matrix + real cab for the most part. Disabled cab block.
I just had to tweak a couple of things:
- The low cut seems too high on some of the presets (350Hz). With a real cab, I needed to feel that thump so I bumped it down to about 150Hz and that sounded good to me.
I haven't tried with cab emulation on to a FRFR, with the above change.
- The clean preset has low output compared to the rest. Bumped the output Level appropriately.

I really like this format for an amp pack - especially for people like me who use a real cab. The one gotcha with this format is that if I want to use say clean, crunch and lead in a preset (using scenes) then I'll have to do some manual matching (which shouldn't be too hard).

Overall very impressed and hope to use this moving forward in my presets..

Tried this last night - sounds fantastic. I use Matrix + real cab for the most part. Disabled cab block.
- The low cut seems too high on some of the presets (350Hz). With a real cab, I needed to feel that thump so I bumped it down to about 150Hz and that sounded good to me.
I haven't tried with cab emulation on to a FRFR, with the above change.
- The clean preset has low output compared to the rest. Bumped the output Level appropriately.

I really like this format for an amp pack - especially for people like me who use a real cab. The one gotcha with this format is that if I want to use say clean, crunch and lead in a preset (using scenes) then I'll have to do some manual matching (which shouldn't be too hard).

Overall very impressed and hope to use this moving forward in my presets..

Good to hear it works well for you on this setup! cant wait to try it on my own :)

Sure thing. The Amp Packs come with presets that are completely balanced to be 100% neutral and live/studio ready. The amount of presets varies based on how many gain stages the real amps cover. For this ML Boogey V pack it's 9 different gain stages:

1. CH1: Pristine clean
2. CH1: Edge of breakup
3. CH1: Pushed dirty clean channel
4. CH2: Light crunch
5. CH2: Aggressive rock crunch
6. CH2: Gain maxed on channel two which sounds a lot like a Friedman HBE (this is the main rhythm sound in that release video)
7. CH3: Super tight crunch (think of Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory)
8. CH3: As much gain possibly while keeping the amp tight - perfect for metal and leads
9. CH3: Gain maxed on channel three, this gives you that super liquidy lead sound known as "the Boogey sound"

No effects or scenes for compatibility reasons. These are not your regular presets, these are simply going to give you the real sound of the amps in my collection tweaked to perfection. :)
good idea that you add this inf on your next preset release.

I bought the pack a couple nights ago and also backed off the low cut, but man, these are nice sounding for sure! Great job!

Loving the feedback! The low cut is actually very realistic that high. There's no right or wrong here but you will get a more realistic sound by raising the bass knob to 1-2 instead. :)

Mikko, you did a very good job at matching the amp. I have a real Mesa MKV & Mesa cab myself and am always shocked at how much bass comes out of my Axe FX. In the future, don't change a thing, just match the amp! Users can always adjust them later on.

Great work.

Mikko, you did a very good job at matching the amp. I have a real Mesa MKV & Mesa cab myself and am always shocked at how much bass comes out of my Axe FX. In the future, don't change a thing, just match the amp! Users can always adjust them later on.

Great work.
Thank you Matt! Seeing you get the packs puts a huge smile on my face and yes, tye real amp is extremely tight in the low end. :)

I LOVE these last Mesa 4x12 mixes, this pack, and Ares 1.0 on Axe 2! Using presets 1, 3, 5 and 8 only, since a few days.

Just asking for not doing anything wrong. What should be done to both get the updated parameters with the new firmware and overwrite the ones that are changed with your settings?

I LOVE these last Mesa 4x12 mixes, this pack, and Ares 1.0 on Axe 2! Using presets 1, 3, 5 and 8 only, since a few days.

Just asking for not doing anything wrong. What should be done to both get the updated parameters with the new firmware and overwrite the ones that are changed with your settings?
Thank you ertan! Actually after the tests we made the presets should only sound closer to the III. The difference wasn't really in the spectrum but more in the definition if that makes sense. :)

Back
Top Bottom