Love 3.0 , but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a bigger difference in this release than in previous one. I kind of like it. Not sure if it seemed as big a difference in what witelite had in his recording. Has a big impact on the lows/mid-lows.
Yes, definitely a difference & a positive one IMHO. Just not as drastic as what WITELITE posted.

Last edited:
can we mark this thread title as solved?

Solved for me. There is still a difference but much more subtle and easier to dial in. I wasn't the OP but you've got my vote. (and as a side note, how many companies have the owner diagnose the problem and do so in less than an hour? It's one of the many reasons I'm so invested in Fractal and this community is another one)

Thanks all.

MM

can we mark this thread title as solved?

Can I maybe have a chance to get home from work, try some of the suggestions and see if it solved my problem first? ;-)

...and I still don't have an answer about how the PAB tone stack works in the model (i.e. whether noon on all controls is the same as lifting the ground lugs on the amp)

Can I maybe have a chance to get home from work, try some of the suggestions and see if it solved my problem first? ;-)

...and I still don't have an answer about how the PAB tone stack works in the model (i.e. whether noon on all controls is the same as lifting the ground lugs on the amp)
thought it was solved, so i asked. if that isn't true yet, then the answer is no.

I think op got thread jacked and someone else's problem got solved. OP's master is too high, amps got new tubes, need to get master vol down out of the flub zone back into the squeeze zone

One thing I have seen, if you use the optical or tube compressor, the new threshold control is set all the way down & causes a darker, distant sound.
What would the threshold need to be set to in order to be equal to before threshold was added?

The tone stack in the PAB models is a neutral tone stack which is the same as lifting the ground. Put all knobs at noon if you want authentic. Unlike the amp, however, you can actually adjust the tone controls and something will happen. In the virtual realm we can have lifted tone stacks that actually still work.

What would the threshold need to be set to in order to be equal to before threshold was added?
2.05 added a threshold to all compressors. 3.00 seems to reset that control all the way down, even though I spent time on 2.05 setting it where I wanted it. (This did not apply to the studio or pedal compressors as far as I can tell) The imposed default setting makes it sound darker & distant to me. I just went by ear to make it sound right with the new firmware. Ears win out again!

2.05 added a threshold to all compressors. 3.00 seems to reset that control all the way down, even though I spent time on 2.05 setting it where I wanted it. (This did not apply to the studio or pedal compressors as far as I can tell) The imposed default setting makes it sound darker & distant to me. I just went by ear to make it sound right with the new firmware. Ears win out again!
Prior to 3.00 the equivalent threshold was all the way down.

Prior to 3.00 the equivalent threshold was all the way down.
Understood but it sounds much better to me when it is brought up. In comparison, all the way down sounds darker & distant to me. What also got me was that even though I set the threshold levels on 2.05 & 3.00 beta, they were back all the way down after loading 3.00 full release.

Understood but it sounds much better to me when it is brought up. In comparison, all the way down sounds darker & distant to me.
Then turn it up. That's why it was added.

If defaults to all the way down on old patches so that it doesn't change the sound of them.

I did. That is exactly what I am saying. I am also saying I had to do it again after loading 3.00 after already turning it up on 2.05 & 3.00 beta.

I did. That is exactly what I am saying. I am also saying I had to do it again after loading 3.00 after already turning it up on 2.05 & 3.00 beta.
If you save the preset it should save the value. There were no changes to the compressor block on 3.00 or 3.00 beta.

If you save the preset it should save the value. There were no changes to the compressor block on 3.00 or 3.00 beta.
I have had to reset all of those settings again in the final release of 3.00. No big deal but I did notice certain patches not sounding right to me & resetting the threshold made them sound great again. Maybe the way the compressor with the threshold all the way down interacts with the new amp modeling is what I heard as not sounding right. All I know is that every patch that sounded off to me had either the tube or the optical compressor in it with the threshold all the way down. Just an observation. 3.00 sounds great!

Another parameter to explore is bias excursion. Cliff mentioned that the changes had something to do with the grid modeling; if that is more accurate now it could be that the model you've chosen exhibits lots of blocking distortion. Try a lower value and see where it gets you.

I think we have a winner, for the Bludo PAB anyway. I lowered bias excursion and increased the negative feedback, and that seemed to take care of a lot. I can't directly compare since I don't have anything I can reamp through 2.05 then through 3.0, but I think I'm back in business.

So yeah, I think for my part we can wrap this. Good re-education for me...these are similar things you'd do with a real amp if the bass was breaking wind.

I think we have a winner, for the Bludo PAB anyway. I lowered bias excursion and increased the negative feedback, and that seemed to take care of a lot. I can't directly compare since I don't have anything I can reamp through 2.05 then through 3.0, but I think I'm back in business.

So yeah, I think for my part we can wrap this. Good re-education for me...these are similar things you'd do with a real amp if the bass was breaking wind.

Was this an existing preset that you had previously changed those values and saved, or were you using the default settings to start with? Sorry if this was mentioned already elsewhere...

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom