Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to quantify, other than I have blisters on my fingers after overplaying...

Seems to have more saturation & sustain. Almost as if there is interaction between the guitar and speaker - but, I was wearing headphones... So, wizardry?

There seems to be 2 types of firmware upgrades, the ones where the amp modeling is altered only slightly, or not at all, and results in a better sound without any adjustments to existing presets, and the major ones like this.

To be more specific, pre V3, I spent a lot of time on the advanced parameters for my two, high gain stereo, L R amp blocks. After V3, I made many small adjustments in basic and advanced parameters. It’s a bit tedious, a few hours, but I think the end result is better than before. I thought the highs were a bit harsher in 2.05 as a result of my trying to to get the detail I need. After V3, I was able to back off the highs and dynamics and make more use of the MV, resulting in more roundness and clarity with less harsh highs. I’m talking values of less than 1.

Also, the improved interaction between the power amp sections and cab blocks which, along with some slight IR alignment adjustments, seems to allow frequencies to stack up better with multiple IRs. I think I was fighting against some notchy, phase things between the 3 IRs per side I use, and their individual interactions with the power amp sections of the amp blocks. Post 3 tweaking, dialing in the balance between the IRs got easier, as did the L R balance between the 2 amp blocks themselves.

So, for those of us who adjust advanced parameters and use gain settings at the more extreme end, why would it be a good idea to reset the amp block? I know which advanced parameters I adjust, why not just go back and make small adjustments in those areas? From a workflow standpoint, I don’t see the point of resetting all parameters and starting from scratch after a big firmware change, unless other stock parameters I haven’t adjusted, have been changed as a result of the upgrade. If that’s the case, I’d rather have a list of those new baseline parameter values as opposed to a reset/starting from scratch or tweaking advanced parameters without knowing what other values have changed. One way is more work than the other, but forces you to use only your ears to get where you want to go, but it can be a lot of work. I think knowing which parameter values have changed first will intuitively enhance my understanding of how everything works together, and may also give some indication which advanced parameters to readjust first.

Does all this make sense?

Last edited:
Given this is still a beta release it might make sense to hold off doing any serious tweaking on all one’s presets since there could be changes in the release version.

Fun to play around with new stuff of course but I won’t spend an afternoon tweaking 60 patches to perfection only to find 3.01 changed something and you need to go and do it all again.

Given this is still a beta release it might make sense to hold off doing any serious tweaking on all one’s presets since there could be changes in the release version.

Fun to play around with new stuff of course but I won’t spend an afternoon tweaking 60 patches to perfection only to find 3.01 changed something and you need to go and do it all again.

Yep. This is why I don't bother with beta firmware anymore.

I understand what you’re saying, but has there ever been an instance where the beta was radically different from the final?

I understand what you’re saying, but has there ever been an instance where the beta was radically different from the final?

Guess it depends on how you define “radically”....

I can think of dozens of times over the years there was x.00 followed by x.01, 0.02 etc. something was set wrong, incorrect default value etc. Cliff usually fixes in a day or two of course.

Thanks - so you select a new amp and then flick back? Or front panel ‘reset’ like on the II?

Sorry if this is obvious
Select a new amp is soft reset, use the reset bock parameter on front panel or in the drop down edit menu on ax edit to make sure all parameters get reset.

I gotta be honest with you....

If Cliff says no reset required then I don't. If Cliff says reset required then I do.

That's been my rule for years....

Sometimes the final version changed things again, sometimes improving former changes, sometimes lowering them and sometimes the final added something different.

BTW the next final is no 'final' unless updates would end. It is just the step before the next beta...so if you have time left for tweaking, exploring, enjoying, just do it.

I gotta be honest with you....

If Cliff says no reset required then I don't. If Cliff says reset required then I do.

That's been my rule for years....
There's no reset required for this firmware. Now if you tweaked a bunch of advanced parameters then a reset will get you back to defaults which may improve things.

My fingers are sore from this one. Most satisfying firmware for me ever. Just going through the factory presets was a blast.

There's no reset required for this firmware. Now if you tweaked a bunch of advanced parameters then a reset will get you back to defaults which may improve things.

My fingers are sore from this one. Most satisfying firmware for me ever. Just going through the factory presets was a blast.

Hi Cliff, is there any chance of providing a list of any new default values with each firmware? That would give me a choice between a reset and a more systematic comb through. Thanks for all the great stuff so far!

So spill the beans.

Hi Cliff, is there any chance of providing a list of any new default values with each firmware? That would give me a choice between a reset and a more systematic comb through. Thanks for all the great stuff so far!
None of the default values changed.

Home from the weekend and a quick play (annoyingly sliced my index finger over the weekend so I'm a bit limited).

Very, very impressed - on the cleaner amp through to Bluesbreaker I'd say you can hear more of the fingers on the strings, more dynamic in a subtle way.

On the Jubilee - first time ever truly nailed, I used to run one back in the day with all tone on 10, presence on five.

Did it - sounded how I remember, but at normal hearing levels!

Reactions: RDH
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom