Drop Axe-Edit before turning off Axe is good practice

Windows 10. No problem switching off the Axe-FX III while Axe-Edit is open

However, I have another issue with the USB: if I switch on the Axe-FX III while there is a sound playing at the computer (YouTube, system sounds or whatever) then the Axe-FX USB dies; there is no sound coming from it. Then I have to uninstall the Fractal Audio drivers, restart the computer and install them again (same solution as the OP).

No issues after I have disabled the PC system sounds and take care of not playing anything while I switch On the Axe-FX

MAybe time to delete this thread....?

Consensus seems to be that there is no issue that needs a warning

Consensus of majority of users without this problem does not mean that the OP doesn't have an issue. Democracy is not a cure for diseases. ;)

Anyway, like in my case, he has found a reliable solution

Last edited:
Consensus of majority of users without this problem does not mean that the OP doesn't have an issue. Democracy is not a cure for diseases. ;)

I certainly believe the OP had an issue, wasn't disputing that point at all. But, I think its not quite accurate to say there is a problem with Axe-Edit and issue a "warning" for all users, when a pretty good sample size shows this simply isn't the case.

I had a power supply go dead on my Axe II. I forget exactly what day it was, but let us say it was on Tuesday, so I powered MY unit up on Tuesday and the power supply blew. Would it be accurate to issue a warning that says don't power your Axe up on Tuesdays or you'll blow the power supply ?

I think the OP could post a question, saying "hey guys, why does my USB driver act up when I power the unit down before Axe-Edit. Anyone else having this issue ?" or something along those lines. Instead he stated cause and effect. If you do this, this will happen. Well obviously plenty of people don't find that to be the case, but what about people reading it that don't know, that are new, and that are going to think "oh no, I can't turn of my Axe first or bad things will happen" when that simply isn't true.

I hope we can help him solve his issue, and again, I believe he had an issue, but its not something people need to avoid doing any more than they need to not power up their Axe on a Tuesday

I’m equally or perhaps even more concerned, that Windows 10 users report everything is fine. I admit to being a Mac user for ages, but some well-intention IT people just issued me a new Dell with W10. Holy crap, windows users must be saints.

Regarding the thread, I would recommend the following shutdown procedure:
1. Turn off Axe FX III
2. Get a Mac

if I switch on the Axe-FX III while there is a sound playing at the computer (YouTube, system sounds or whatever) then the Axe-FX USB dies; there is no sound coming from it.

Three different audio devices (USB-based DAC for bookshelf speakers, front panel headphones to onboard sound card, axe3) and can toggle between all three whenever I want, including when there's sound already playing.

Regarding the thread, I would recommend the following shutdown procedure:
1. Turn off Axe FX III
2. Get a Mac

Yikes

Yikes indeed. It is a relatively expensive solution, but the Windows driver crap goes away, lol.

I’d love to get a Mac, but then I go and see the prices....

Then I build yet another PC....

If money was no issue I’d probably go all Mac though

If you have Axe edit up with your Axe FX, close down Axe Edit before turning off your Axe FX. It will destroy the USB driver if you don't. Not a hard fix. Just uninstall the old driver and reinstall the USB driver. Just put this under stuff not to do.
I turned off my Axe last night before going to bed leaving Axe Edit running. Got up this morning and nothing could see anything. I knew exactly what I did. You know we cause most of our own grief.
Never experienced a similar problem. My environment: All PCs are Win10 64-bit, FA devices: AXE-FxII XL + and AXE-FxIII.

I strongly suppose, there's another issue going on in your system. Recommend a checkup.

Neither. Shutdown.

Sorry. I meant the OP. Did his computer go into sleep/hibernate/standby at any time during the connection that may have caused it. There was an issue with another device in the past where the computer caused an issue when it went to standby/sleep while connected and lost connection causing a driver disconnect. Maybe something like this?

Sorry, absolutely not my intention.

I just spent two weeks in Germany, typrying to get a new company-required laptop to work. They say I need it for their Catia TeamCenter on my laptop, and I use a Mac and they won’t do it. I guess all of the errors and problems are my fault, but it was difficult to get everything working well. When I saw this poor guy reporting a problem and everyone suggesting their different issues, it reminded me of my last two weeks.

I wasn’t trying to troll anyone or anything. My sincere apologies, to anyone that felt slighted.
Regardless, I don’t think it required a negative name. I didn’t realize, that I was hurting anyone’s feelings. I think trolling comes with intent.

For the OP, my experience is to cold-boot everything, reload software, and try to replicate the fault.

Back
Top Bottom