Do you like to crap on other's classifieds?

If someone has been here for a long while and sees an ad that looks suspicious I do not see anything wrong with replying, lets say like. "could you post a pic with "blahblahblah" as the preset name? why not help each other. This forum is unlike any I have ever frequented and I mean that in an extremely positive way.
I, personally wouldn't post if I think a price is too high.If someone didn't bother to check the "new from FAS" price, wel that is on them.I figure we are all grown ups in that respect.

BUT, I will be honest I have been tempted "many times" to post about someone stating, Still has the plastic on the cover. That imho is one of the dumbest things I have seen here. Like it's real hard to put plastic back on the axefx or whatever. But as much as that bothers me for it's sheer "whatever" I still have never posted a reply about it.
I feel very comfortable selling or buying on this forum. I cannot say that about many others.

Oh, I'm way more objective about it than that. I believe it will require genetic engineering to make a civil species.

Commenting upon the words and thinking of another is not "crapping upon". Often, it is also helping in getting the damn thing sold.

Oh, I'm way more objective about it than that. I believe it will require genetic engineering to make a civil species.
8e596c87925290cdf9b52f14350551ac.gif

tumblr_mp43s4OSqs1rmgkk0o1_500.gif

Simply need to cater to a forum community with very singular opinions, beliefs, values, taste, demographics etc.

More “unified” the user base, the less “dicks”, because when a “dick” is in the company of a bunch of similar minded “dicks”, suddenly they don’t seem as much of a “dick”.

When someone has a differing opinion, taste, belief et al., than many others, they can be in many cases a “dick”.

Repeat back something that matches up with what I already believe and I’ll think your a cool dude. Say something that differs from my opinion and I’ll think your a “dick”.

Take certain TV news outlets.... bunch of dicks or just telling it like it is ?

Strangely, many don’t want balanced news, we want soemthing that will align with our own way of thinking, however that may lean.
I get your point, but what I’m talking about isn’t generally what is said as it is in the tactless, sometimes downright confrontational way it is said. It doesn’t make you a dick to disagree, it makes you a dick to disagree In an unnecessarily hostile and callous manner. Whether it’s the medium, the anonymity of the internet, or whatever, people seem to be losing the art of communication and respectful discourse at an alarming rate.

There are ways to disagree that are helpful. I’ve read your posts before, and know by them that you know what I mean. Yours aren’t kind of posts I’m referring to here. In truth, I believe everyone knows what I’m saying, but the opportunity to debate it brings out the reason we spend time on this form of “social media.” Thanks for sharing.

I think the classifieds work well here for the most part. I have sold several items with no issues.

However, I have also seen adds put up where the seller actually has stated the used unit would not come with a warranty and others chime in after a potential customer has inquired on the item and are told something along the lines of "why would you buy a used item without a warranty when you can buy a new unit for a just $(whatever amount) more with the warranty?". Those type of posts are most definitely annoying.

Just my two measly cents...

Last edited:
I agree it makes sense to not allow people to comment on the price of an item. If you don't like the price, move on. There's no good karma to be had by dumping all over someone else's listing.

We must allow selling stuff on this forum, yet we must not allow people to speak freely? Hah.

We must allow selling stuff on this forum, yet we must not allow people to speak freely? Hah.
This is not about free speech. It's about not letting dicks ruin things for others.

Every forum I sell on (never sold here) has a rule about making negative comments on price. I'd even suggest that it's the norm. Two examples:

"If you don't agree with an item's price, or if you know a place where the same item is being sold for less, do NOT interfere or post your opinion/prices on the thread in question. Members being hostile to the seller's threads will be warned or even have their accounts locked."
"No negative comments allowed about someone's ad, pricing or gear. If you think that the price is too high, move on and don't buy."

I think all other topics of debate aside, the simple logistics of moderating a FS forum would require a fair bit of time and energy. Mods already have to spend a lot of time doing their job and it’s not a paid position. If someone had to police the classifieds that would just increase the workload a fair bit.

The forum has a B&S section simply as a benefit for members, but it is a free area.

Now many forums require a fee to be able to post FS, and I suppose when someone pays “dues” there is a certain obligation of service.

How many would be in favor of having to pay to post an item FS, like $9.99 a month, provided that fee does come with some rules as to no comments on price, fixed “bump” schedule etc?

I don’t think it can really work both ways in both having a firmly moderated area with rigid rules, and also have it a free of costs for any and all.

I wish I could crap on someone's else's classifieds. I just checked Marktplaats.nl today and saw a Axe II Mk.2 being offered for €1600. Including 2HE flight case. But for the exact same price someone else was offering an Axe II XL+ together with his MFC. Methinks the guy who is trying to sell his Mk.2 is in dire need of a reality check. Now, how I administer that reality check is a different think. Do I say: Hey, dumbass, reality calling here, better product on offer for the same price, if you want to sell yours, lower yours? Of course not. But is saying politely that it would probably be in the best interest of the seller that he lowers his asking price to a more realistic market price crapping on his classified?

But should you expressly be prohibited, banned, etc from doing so if you wished........ ?
That's the question.

The reality is, neither you nor I have a pulse on omnipotence. Some people might be willing to pay more for an older product if they need it for some reason we aren't aware of (e.g. perhaps as a backup, or due to some compatibility issue, etc.) even though a new one might be available at a better price. But it's worth it to them, even if you and I don't think so. They have a different view and context. You or I taking a dump on that thread and imposing our view/context on everyone else's reality is the definition of conceit -- IOW, being a dick.

So if a price doesn't make sense TO YOU, just move on.

When you post anything on a Forum, people can reply at their will.

What would you say if I started a thread about that you are a dick, but I don't want you to be allowed to reply and if you didn't like it, you should just move on.

That's the question.

The reality is, neither you nor I have a pulse on omnipotence. Some people might be willing to pay more for an older product if they need it for some reason we aren't aware of (e.g. perhaps as a backup, or due to some compatibility issue, etc.) even though a new one might be available at a better price. But it's worth it to them, even if you and I don't think so. They have a different view and context. You or I taking a dump on that thread and imposing our view/context on everyone else's reality is the definition of conceit -- IOW, being a dick.

So if a price doesn't make sense TO YOU, just move on.

What if it’s not a question of price ? Price is subjective as you point out, and such, so is value or a “good deal” or “bad deal”

What if someone says a product includes the “remainder of factory warranty” and being 2nd hand it is a false statement ?

What if someone lists an MFC mkIII and it’s clearly a MKII they have pictures of ?

What can and can’t be commented on ?

Are positive posts allowed ? Is it still “crapping” if you say “wow, great price!” ?

Should we be able to PM someone with such information or comment and only be forbidden from posting it in the thread itself ?

Is there a meaningful difference in PM’ing to say “your ad is incorrect” vs posting it ?

Should any comment to a seller, in any manner, be forbidden unless you are buying ??

What if you PM someone and say “hey, FYI, warranty is only for original owner” and they don’t respond, respond telling you to get bent etc, and keep their inaccurate ad ? Then what ?

Buyer beware ? Post publicly about the warranty ? Let a mod know someone is willfully posting an inaccurate ad ?

Simply saying “thou shall not comment on price, neither good nor bad” wouldn’t really solve the larger issue....

What @benvigil said. Current prices that are being posted are available to any seller who cares to look for them. Posting a “corrective” fixed-that-for-ya comment is disingenuous at best.

It's part of the deal when someone posts on a Forum for free. Nobody forces the seller to sell here. There are plenty places where he/she/ze can sell without the fear of commenting.

Back
Top Bottom