[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this. very this.

"amp in the room" is just the sound bouncing off the room at that moment. many people go from a real guitar cab to a new-fangled FRFR speaker. and to compare the 2, they point the guitar cab at their ankles like usual, then the FRFR directly at their face/ears in wedge position. then they wonder why the FRFR has so much more high end and sounds more direct. well, it's facing your ears directly :D

for comparison's sake, put that new FRFR in the exact same direction - on the floor, facing forward toward your ankles. then turn it up. the sound will bounce around the room, which is exactly the "amp in the room" sound.
..So the thing they're after is 'real CAB in the room' sound. It's probably the label 'amp in room' that creates so many confused threads.

So, to get this 'cab in the room' sound, the only way is with a room (acoustic space), and a cab in that room, at a specific location, orientation, dB level, and dispersion pattern. I bet a lot of people don't sort this out first, before making comparisons.

Last edited:
..So the thing they're after is 'real CAB in the room' sound. It's probably the label 'amp in room' that creates so many confused threads.

So, to get this 'cab in the room' sound, the only way is with a room, an acoustic space, and a cab in that room, at a specific location, orientation, dB level, and dispersion pattern. I bet a lot of people don't sort this out first, before making comparisons.
Yeah. You can’t model “sound coming from behind me.” It needs to physically do that by bouncing off the walls.

To get dynamics dial in your amp how you like it and place envelope filters on input trim and master volume adjust them to only change subtlety check out my patch on the axe change the most dynamic patch ever

To get dynamics dial in your amp how you like it and place envelope filters on input trim and master volume adjust them to only change subtlety check out my patch on the axe change the most dynamic patch ever
You know there settings for Input and Output dynamics, right? Have you explored them?

this. very this.

"amp in the room" is just the sound bouncing off the room at that moment. many people go from a real guitar cab to a new-fangled FRFR speaker. and to compare the 2, they point the guitar cab at their ankles like usual, then the FRFR directly at their face/ears in wedge position. then they wonder why the FRFR has so much more high end and sounds more direct. well, it's facing your ears directly :D

for comparison's sake, put that new FRFR in the exact same direction - on the floor, facing forward toward your ankles. then turn it up. the sound will bounce around the room, which is exactly the "amp in the room" sound.
Yes and yes! As seen here...

A Christmas Gift for You — FRFR amp-in-the-room

Yup never have pointed my monitor at my ears. Always stood up. ATA case I had made for my clr has it stood up so I just take the top off, plug up and go.

You are so right.

We’ve never seen such creativity to drive this thing with crazy notions like using modifiers on amp blocks. Oh the huge manatees! :eyes:

Lol people complaining about the AXE not being dynamic enough... and here I am figuring out how to make mine less dynamic.

I’m serious. Ever since I started using the Cornford it’s been the amp of my dreams but dear god the dynamics I swear. Last week I spent 2 hours recording a single riff because I had to pick each note perfectly to get what I wanted.
Talk about an unforgiving amp.

Lol people complaining about the AXE not being dynamic enough... and here I am figuring out how to make mine less dynamic.

I’m serious. Ever since I started using the Cornford it’s been the amp of my dreams but dear god the dynamics I swear. Last week I spent 2 hours recording a single riff because I had to pick each note perfectly to get what I wanted.
Talk about an unforgiving amp.
Go into the Dynamics Tab on the amp Block, and you can do two things, Turn down Input Dynamics & switch Out Comp Tyoe to Feedback and raise Out Compression a tiny tad. Look at your meter, a little goes a long way.

this. very this.

At the risk of derailing this thread even further, that is an oversimplification and I'll have to respectfully disagree. There's more to it that simply the position of the monitor relative to the listener and the sound of the monitor in the room. This is especially true if you like open-back cabinets, which is my personal preference.

A mic'd speaker IR played through a monitor will never sound like an amp/cabinet in the room regardless of volume and speaker position. Been there, done that, with several of the top FRFR solutions (CLR, RCF, FBT, XiTone, Matrix). It's simply not the same thing and is not capable of delivering the same results.

I'm not saying that an IR through FRFR is any less valid or inferior. I'm not saying and IR through FRFR is not a satisfying playing experience. I just disagree with the notion that it's as simple as putting the monitor on the floor and turning it up. It still sounds like a mic'd-up amp played through a monitor that is sitting on the floor pointing at my legs. To prove this to myself, I put my cabinet in another room, mic'd it up, and compared playing through the CLR with the AxeFX through the CLR. Yep, the AxeFX sounds and responds remarkably similar to playing my amp (at that time it was a Budda Superdrive 30 which I no longer own) through a 2x12 Budda open-back cabinet mic'd up in the other room. Bring the cabinet in the same room, and the experience, responsiveness, and dynamics are totally different. I no longer struggle with FRFR. I accept it for what it is and I'm getting excellent results. But for pure enjoyment, I still prefer plugging straight into my RedPlate BluesMachine 66 and cranking it up.

YMMV.

At the risk of derailing this thread even further, that is an oversimplification and I'll have to respectfully disagree. There's more to it that simply the position of the monitor relative to the listener and the sound of the monitor in the room. This is especially true if you like open-back cabinets, which is my personal preference.

A mic'd speaker IR played through a monitor will never sound like an amp/cabinet in the room regardless of volume and speaker position. Been there, done that, with several of the top FRFR solutions (CLR, RCF, FBT, XiTone, Matrix). It's simply not the same thing and is not capable of delivering the same results.

I'm not saying that an IR through FRFR is any less valid or inferior. I'm not saying and IR through FRFR is not a satisfying playing experience. I just disagree with the notion that it's as simple as putting the monitor on the floor and turning it up. It still sounds like a mic'd-up amp played through a monitor that is sitting on the floor pointing at my legs. To prove this to myself, I put my cabinet in another room, mic'd it up, and compared playing through the CLR with the AxeFX through the CLR. Yep, the AxeFX sounds and responds remarkably similar to playing my amp (at that time it was a Budda Superdrive 30 which I no longer own) through a 2x12 Budda open-back cabinet mic'd up in the other room. Bring the cabinet in the same room, and the experience, responsiveness, and dynamics are totally different. I no longer struggle with FRFR. I accept it for what it is and I'm getting excellent results. But for pure enjoyment, I still prefer plugging straight into my RedPlate BluesMachine 66 and cranking it up.

YMMV.
I feel this describes the preference of a guitar cab vs a full range speaker, and not comparing “amp in the room” to non-“amp in the room.”

Yes, a guitar cab is definitely a different experience and many prefer it! The way the sound comes out is very different, and open back is yet another option that has a particular sound and feel.

An FRFR loud and pointed at your ankles will sound like an FRFR in the room. A guitar cab in the same setup will sound like a guitar cab in the room.

I’m just saying that “amp in the room” requires sound to bounce off the walls of the room and come back to your ears. This requires volume and certain positioning. Use whatever speaker type you prefer and turn it up. A guitar cab set quietly and pointed directly at your ears won’t sound like “amp in the room.” But inherently no one plays a real guitar amp that quietly because it doesn’t sound good.

Could always get a CenterPoint Space Station, use a stereo cab block with some rear/farfield IR on one channel and a traditional capture IR on the other. The CenterPoint will send the unique source material in the L and R channel out the sides of its dipole speaker, and the L+R summer material from its forward firing speaker. Its not true stereo, as its essentially coming from one point, but, you get a really unique sound field anywhere in the room. Its as "in the room" as it gets LOL

ASPEN-Pittman-Designs-Center-Point-Stereo-Spacestation-V3.jpg

My electric guitar journey literally started with my purchase of the Ultra 10 years ago. There have been many improvements in the modeling over the years as witnessed by the ever present "realer than real" diatribe so often posted after upgrades.

I'll be honest. With older ears and very little real world experience with actual tube amps, I often find the improvements to be very subtle or even non hearable in some cases. With that said, some of the updates have made profound differences in tone that even my old and inexperienced ears can attest to. So it's been hit and miss with me throughout the journey with respect to tone but always improving none the less.

The firmware updates that have dealt more with dynamic control (what I consider "feel" to be) have always been the ones that stand out and excite me the most. And in my personal experience hanging out here over the last decade the dynamic improvements from Ultra to the II and now on to the III have been way more impressive and expansive on the "where you were and where you are now" scale than the actual "realness" of the modeling tone.

Glad you got it sorted!

An FRFR loud and pointed at your ankles will sound like an FRFR in the room. A guitar cab in the same setup will sound like a guitar cab in the room.

Exactly. And they are not the same.

Each has it's pros/cons/advantages/disadvantages.

Anyway, glad the OP got it sorted out!

I just turned down the screen brightness, it was way too bright
That’s a hidden top secret Easter egg.. screen brightness is tied to a myriad of hidden parameters.. Hint* the Amp In The Room ON/OFF Parameter is located in here..
It’s default is OFF. When you turn it on.. Whoaa, Whaaaat? There it is, Amp in the room all day long.. mm’hmm.
Shhhhhh. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom