[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS I’m not trying to convince you “it feels like the real deal”; I’m just trying to help you get as much out of it as possible (if I can)

I Agree, as close as possible is what i expect. There is always a compromise if you compare it with a tube amp.

That’s what I said.

So you’re looking for less compression?
Dial these parameters the opposite way. Add some power tube mismatch and play as loudly as you would a real tube amp

I'm looking for that singing tone where the respons is fast and reacts to my playing.

Ok. Good luck. You already seem to know what to do.

`No, lol, don't get me wrong. But i can't wrap my mind around the fact that a much cheaper (Non-tube) unit as a multiamp achieves a great feel with al my cabinets and speakers. So the different speakers/cabinets sound different off course but they all responds great. So I'm not searching there, i am tryibg to obtain a great feel out of the axe fx. simply that.

Ok, try to describe the dynamic response you are looking for.
(You said “like a real tube amp” but you compare it to a solid state unit.)

Is it too compressed/not compressed enough? Are we talking high gain, mid gain, edge of break up? Clean?

okay, thanks phil, your comments are constructive!

I'll try to clarify more what i seek:
The sound it just not responsive enough. Let's say: When you hook up a decent guitar to a amp everybody knows: a fender bassman. You get a feel and dynamics that is reponsive and reacts to your playing. Kinda makes you not want to stop playing.

Maybe it's me noticing something other players already have gotten used to or compromised with... but i can't believe the flag ship of modellers doesn't have it in it.

You can say, stop playing digital and use your real amp. Ok but that does not explain why a unit as the multiamp achieves this.
So I'm convinced it can be dialed in the AXE FX III and there is something I'm overseeing.

My conclusions so far: (correct me if I'm wrong)
- I think there is something i can optimize with the output setting or input setting.
- Or i have to route a output to my mesa 20:20 amp and to the cabinet with no speaker sims to get a more responsive feel and maximize the cabinet-respons ? But off course i want to get rid of tubes a go fully digital!!!

Furthur info about my setup line:
I use a Tom anderson Drop top SSH guitar, and fender strat custom shop mainly. So not some shitty guitar.

Last edited:
Try something:

1. tone and gain knobs all at noon
2. master off, level at 0dB.
3. Walk master up until it turns on, keep walking master up (turn down level if it gets too loud) until it "feels" right.
4. Adjust gain and tone from there

The "feel" can be achieved with a crap sound, so focus on getting it to feel right first, then when you dial in tone and gain to make it sound good, it will be both, real feel and real tone.

Another note though, if the IR is bad (or inappropriate for the tone you're shooting for) nothing you do will fix the tone using that IR.

`No, lol, don't get me wrong. But i can't wrap my mind around the fact that a much cheaper (Non-tube) unit as a multiamp achieves a great feel with al my cabinets and speakers. So the different speakers/cabinets sound different off course but they all responds great. So I'm not searching there, i am tryibg to obtain a great feel out of the axe fx. simply that.
Not picking a fight, but if you are happy with the DV then why don't you just stay with it?

Try something:

1. tone and gain knobs all at noon
2. master off, level at 0dB.
3. Walk master up until it turns on, keep walking master up (turn down level if it gets too loud) until it "feels" right.
4. Adjust gain and tone from there

The "feel" can be achieved with a crap sound, so focus on getting it to feel right first, then when you dial in tone and gain to make it sound good, it will be both, real feel and real tone.

Another note though, if the IR is bad (or inappropriate for the tone you're shooting for) nothing you do will fix the tone using that IR.

Thanks, gonna try that this evening!

Come on guys... even a ref from the Saints-Rams game would throw up a red flag for this thread.

New user, incoherent rambling posts, comparing the Axe to solid state and yet complaining about tube feel of other amps, obtuse arguments to any and all responses, and a high end rig with lots of name dropping all the Anderson, Fender Custom Shop, Axe III, monitors etc they use so it’s “not the gear”, etc etc.

How many times are we going to keep taking the bait before we learn ?

Come on guys... even a ref from the Saints-Rams game would throw up a red flag for this thread.

New user, incoherent rambling posts, comparing the Axe to solid state and yet complaining about tube feel of other amps, obtuse arguments to any and all responses, and a high end rig with lots of name dropping all the Anderson, Fender Custom Shop, Axe III, monitors etc they use so it’s “not the gear”, etc etc.

How many times are we going to keep taking the bait before we learn ?

lqdsnddist: No comment on these kinds of responses... If you don't wanna help out, no need for trolling. It's not about name dropping at all, (sorry if that is offensive for you) just discribing my situation and gear so others can think along.

Sorry but something's not clear in your posts @leslie1975 , are you comparing real amps to the axe fx III with cab sim on and thru monitors?

That's never going to give you the same "feel" of your real amps in the room.

Try it with a neutral solid state power amp into a real guitar cab (cab sim off).
IIRC the multiamp has an embedded power amp, plug in its Fx return

Hi, thanks for you response.
I'm not actually 'comparing' , just wanna dial in more feel on the axe fx.

Preferably I want to use the axe fx III using cab sims direcly connected to the front PA, and achieve with a seperate output a proper on stage sound for myself ( I have or the yamaha active speakers for that, or a powercab plus from line 6 set to FRFR. If i can't achieve the wanted sound fully digitally i could use my mesa boogie 20/20 tube rackamp to drive my speaker cabinets.

One thing to check out is the impedance
Perhaps the multi amp is applying a different impedance that will make a difference for sure

Also check your noise gate it will
Squash dynamics
Look up Austin buddy free presets
In Axe change I find those pretty
“Live” feeling

We are here to help and we will get you either sorted or you will figure out
Maybe Fractal is not the product for you and that’s ok too

One thing to check out is the impedance
Perhaps the multi amp is applying a different impedance that will make a difference for sure

Also check your noise gate it will
Squash dynamics
Look up Austin buddy free presets
In Axe change I find those pretty
“Live” feeling

We are here to help and we will get you either sorted or you will figure out
Maybe Fractal is not the product for you and that’s ok too

THANKS! I'll check that

This topic of "in-room" feel is not new. There has been almost constant posting on this for every version of the Axe-Fx since I have been a part of this journey. I have never had this problem myself. What I have had was every bad tube problem imaginable. Microphonic tubes, squealing tubes, dead tubes, buzzing tubes. I am over the tube thing!!!!!
To me, the Fractal products have all of the "feel", "vibe", "mojo", (insert your descriptive word) of the expensive tube amps I have had over the years. It just seems so subjective.
I think the only way to settle it once and for all is to get these guys in a room together with the gear that supposedly has all this "feel" and watch one of the patch geniuses on this forum dial in it's equal.
I bet there is one setting that these guys are missing and a huge Ah-ha! moment would occur.
Maybe time for another Axe-Fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom