Output choice for FOH?

rcv24

Inspired
I've always used Output 1 for my FRFR and Output 2 for FOH - but when I was watching @ccroyalsenders Axe-Fx III Master Class, he does the opposite. (I highly recommend his class, btw.)

I've already learned so many subtle things about the III that I didn't know, it caused me to wonder...

Is it just preference, or is there a practical reason to choose Output 1 for FOH?

I use 1 for FOH, recording etc, and 2 to my monitors. You might want to have a different mix, no reverb on your monitor output etc. You could do it either way, but on the II, it was using the FX Loop outs so made more sense to use 1 as FOH.

The III is more flexible so you could set it up however you want, but I’m sure many people copied how they worked with the II

I've always used Output 1 for my FRFR and Output 2 for FOH - but when I was watching @ccroyalsenders Axe-Fx III Master Class, he does the opposite. (I highly recommend his class, btw.)

I've already learned so many subtle things about the III that I didn't know, it caused me to wonder...

Is it just preference, or is there a practical reason to choose Output 1 for FOH?

I always classify FOH as the main sound and everything else is auxillary. Just my mental order. No other reason.

Same. View it in order of importance. FOH - Out 1, IEMs - Out 2, FRFR - Out 3. I always have signal to FOH, next is IEMs, if IEM issue then FRFR as backup.

I use out2 for FOH and out1 for amp and cab because of the 1/4 jacks on out1.

Me, I do...... Backline = Out 1, FOH = FOH, IEM's = Out 4. My only reason for this is simply ease of use in the back of the rack :cool:

With my Axe Fx II, I reserved Output 1 for FOH because typically XLR cables work best for that. Output 2 was 1/4" to my Matrix amp and Xitone wedges.

With the Axe Fx III, I use Output 1 for headphones (and possible other use). Output 2 XLR for FOH and Output 3 to the Matrix.

Also, these days FOH is really our IEM splitter so it feeds both IEM mixer and FOH.

With my Axe Fx II, I reserved Output 1 for FOH because typically XLR cables work best for that. Output 2 was 1/4" to my Matrix amp and Xitone wedges.

With the Axe Fx III, I use Output 1 for headphones (and possible other use). Output 2 XLR for FOH and Output 3 to the Matrix.

Also, these days FOH is really our IEM splitter so it feeds both IEM mixer and FOH.

Hi, which IEM Splitter are you using ?

I there a specific DB setting that will equal Out 3 to Out 1 and 2? I want to use OUT 3 for my Cabinet but I want the same output level and its hard to find the right setting. I didn't see anything in the manual

Edit: Even if I put the Out 3 block all the way to +20db, it still isn't the same overall output as Outs 1 and 2. Its very close but slightly less.

Last edited:
I use Output 1 to FOH. Also remember that Output 1 has (2) XLR and (2) 1/4" connections if you use mono so many options to connect to.

Back
Top Bottom