Axe-Fx III - Combining Virtual Amp with Real Amp

Rmichael

With the Axe Fx III, if I use my “real” amplifier utilizing the 4CM, can I split the input signal and also run a virtual amp simultaneously via an amp block to the same cabinet?

I know you used to be able to do this with the FX II and using an FX block to insert your real amp. Since you no longer use an FX Block to insert your real amp with the FX III, I didn’t know if the unit still offered that capability.

Essentially, what I want to do is to blend a clean amp signal with a distorted amp signal.

Last edited:
Create a preset that contains the following blocks:

Input 1 - <Pre Effects> - Output 3 - Input 4 - <Post Effects> - Output 4
  • Input 1 receives the raw guitar signal
  • Output 3 sends the signal to the amplifiers pre-amp
  • Input 4 receives the signal from the amplifiers pre-amp
  • Output 4 sends the signal to the amplifiers EQ stack (dependent on amp design) and power amp
Once you have a 4CM preset, connect your amp to the Axe FX:
  • Set Output 3 and Output 4 to Unity Gain by turning the Output Levels all the way up
  • Connect Output 3 to the Guitar Input on your amp
  • Connect Amp FX Send to Input 4
  • Connect Ouput 4 to the Amp FX Return
  • Connect guitar to Input 1
To integrate the virtual amp into your 4CM preset:
  • Place an Amp Block on the grid
  • Connect a cable from any block before Output 3 (e.g. Input 1) to the Amp Block
  • Connect a cable from the Amp Block to any block after Input 4 (e.g. Output 4)
You could also put effects in the signal chain before and/or after the amp block, creating a completely separate signal chain for the virtual amp.

You can set levels and panning for each of the signal paths in the mixer parameters for Output 4 (assuming you connected a cable from the amp block signal path directly to Output 4).

You do not have to connect a cable between Output 3 and Input 4. You can, but you do not have to. Check out the manual for info about what connecting a cable between an input and output block does.

If you experience a lot of hum from the 4CM setup, you can use Humbuster cables between Output 3 and the Amp Input & Output 4 and the FX Return.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Capn, I tried as you’ve outlined. Via that method shouldn’t I be able to bypass output 3 and bypass the real amps preamp altogether and in turn just send the virtual amp signal to the power amp?

If I bypass output 3 I get no sound.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 5.29.48 PM.png

Does this look correct? In theory, this seems like it should work....but I don't get any signal from the virtual amp this way.

Last edited:
He said he wants to run both in simultaneously. So as Cliff said he should enable Ouput 3 to run both simultaneously.

Op are you disabling Ouput 3 to test the virtual amp? You should still be able to run them individually in parallel.

You should be disabling the input block by the way.

Per the manual:
INPUT & OUTPUT BLOCKS AS SEND & RETURN LOOP
The “FX Loop” block found on previous products no longer exists. Instead, individual Input and Output blocks must are placed separately on the grid. In the example below, signal flows (in red) from the Output block to outboard gear and back through the Input block. The Input block serves as a “master bypass” control for the send/return loop. The Output block on the grid is connected with a cable to the Input block as shown below, but the Input block ignores grid input signals when it is engaged (left image) and ignores external input signals when it is bypassed (right image).

Do you have a cable between ouput 3 and input 4?

He said he wants to run both in simultaneously. So as Cliff said he should enable Ouput 3 to run both simultaneously.

Op are you disabling Ouput 3 to test the virtual amp? You should still be able to run them individually in parallel.

Yes, I want to disable the "real" amp so I can test the virtual amp, configure the eq, etc.,. Then I'll blend them together by engaging both.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 7.00.53 PM.png I apologize, I'm new to all of this. So, configured as the diagram is above, I know have everything engaged "except" for "IN 4" which I toggled off. However, in doing this I'm still getting the complete "real" amp signal and tone. I'm confused...lol.

Now I have removed the cable from the "gate" block and cabled the virtual amp directly to "IN 1". In doing this, I would think that this would bypass the PEQ and the Gate. However, configured as above and disabling "IN 4" all I'm getting is the "real amp" complete with the PEQ and Gate which is after "IN 1". What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I apologize, I'm new to all of this. So, configured as the diagram is above, I know have everything engaged "except" for "IN 4" which I toggled off. However, in doing this I'm still getting the complete "real" amp signal and tone. I'm confused...lol.

That still sounds like your amp's effects loop is bypassed.

Have you used any other gear in the effects loop of this amp before?

That still sounds like your amp's effects loop is bypassed.

Have you used any other gear in the effects loop of this amp before?

No, I've never used this effects loop before. You can't disengage it, you can only turn the levels down. The knobs are push pull to run in series or parallel.

Are the level controls turned up? Did you check if the series/parallel selection had any effect? (Try series for now, at least during this troubleshooting process.)

You might want to mention what the amp is and confirm all cables are connected exactly as described above.

Ok, I've connected the amp block to input 4. So now how do I completely bypass the preamp on my "real" amp head so I can just hear the virtual amp? Right now, adding the virtual amp doesn't sound any different. I'm thinking the issue is in my effects look like bakerman said. I do appreciate the help.....

With the virtual amp connected to input 4 you shoukd be able to toggle between your real amp and the virtual amp by enabling/bypassing input 4.

Once you have that working we can then get you to simultaneous signal.

Is your output 4 knob on the Axe-FX turned up? Are you seeing signal on the front panel Output 4 meters?

I would advise against connecting the amp block to Input 4 at the moment. You should already have amp sim signal reaching Output 4 with the routing posted earlier. You need to determine why it's not getting through the power amp to your speakers.

Back
Top Bottom