Read The Manual

• Thread starter Deleted member 47387
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47387

I have never been one to read the manual, mainly because excitement has got the better of me and I have just literally dived in and turned every basic dial till I have got a reasonable sound, but thats all it has ever been just a good sound. Then I sat down and started to read the Manual because I really wanted to re-create my old 70's Marshall 100w Super Lead tone. Why oh why did I not do this years ago ??? The difference has been phenomenal. I have now gone from a good sound to amazing. Just a few tweaks here and there in the advanced settings has really turned things around.
Now I understand why people on the forum advise you to read the Manual. I'm now reading it again and when I have finished I will read again and perhaps again

been in it for a few days, really good info in it. I sometimes have to read a certain section over and over to have it make sense, but eventually it does when I put that into practice. I look forward to more reading. :)
I'm on my second read now. I seem to spend more time reading the manual then using the Axe. Like you I look forward to reading and putting things into practice.....never thought it could become so addictive. I suppose I should be a mine of information now, but trust me when I say I have a long way to go.

As a brand new AXE FX III Owner I have read the manual 3 or 4 times already. It's helpful is os many ways, so I certainly recommend reading it.

BUT, with that said, there are many of the common questions in these forums that are not easily understood in the manual. Some of the concepts in the manual are not written very clearly in my own opinion. Grasping things like scenes and global blocks are challenging and commonly misundertood. Although the manual covers these I think there is a better way to cover these using more real world examples. Especially for those like me that learn faster with visual examples ! It is what it is.

Maybe there needs to be more detailed examples from FAS to outline these and how in various situtions these would be applied in the real world. Just sayin'

No offense to Cliff and compnay but with such a great product and a high price to match, there should be a section in support with visual examples of rig set ups and different scenarios as posted in the forums or just commonly used applications.!

As a brand new AXE FX III Owner I have read the manual 3 or 4 times already. It's helpful is os many ways, so I certainly recommend reading it.

BUT, with that said, there are many of the common questions in these forums that are not easily understood in the manual. Some of the concepts in the manual are not written very clearly in my own opinion. Grasping things like scenes and global blocks are challenging and commonly misundertood. Although the manual covers these I think there is a better way to cover these using more real world examples. Especially for those like me that learn faster with visual examples ! It is what it is.

Maybe there needs to be more detailed examples from FAS to outline these and how in various situtions these would be applied in the real world. Just sayin'

No offense to Cliff and compnay but with such a great product and a high price to match, there should be a section in support with visual examples of rig set ups and different scenarios as posted in the forums or just commonly used applications.!

For me reading the manual and understanding basic concepts etc seemed fairly straight forward although I must confess to reading once or twice to fully grasp the meaning. This led on to modifiers and more advanced settings that I felt were again fairly straight forward. I can understand and appreciate that not everyone is good looking and intelligent as me....hehehe, seriously everyone is different in how they approach a subject and there is no right or wrong way.

I thought Fractal had clearly demonstrated in the Manual a good visual representation of various rig setups or did I misunderstand what you were saying? Always room for improvement in any Manual.

Having said all that I think its a good ideas of yours to have a dedicated section in support (do you mean main support page or the forum).

Perhaps in the Forum we could have a dedicated section showing users videos demonstrating a learning action, or any other visual representation, as opposed to videos being all over the place. There was recently a really good video demonstrating floor reflection modelling to cabinet block. I would have to hunt around to find it now. There are of course a lot of learning Videos online!

It would be interesting to gain input (pardon the pun) from others

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a software company that releases detailed manuals on a weekly basis. At least in my area of the product, 80% of my support tickets from customers would be eliminated if they would simply read *the first chapter* of the manual. Spend 10% of budget on technical documentation, 20% on support tickets. :/

We created ~15 minutes of videos for the first chapter assuming that text was the culprit. The videos have less than 200 hits combined in 2 years. There are almost a half million users in my system.

I work for a software company that releases detailed manuals on a weekly basis. At least in my area of the product, 80% of my support tickets from customers would be eliminated if they would simply read *the first chapter* of the manual. Spend 10% of budget on technical documentation, 20% on support tickets. :/

We created ~15 minutes of videos for the first chapter assuming that text was the culprit. The videos have less than 200 hits combined in 2 years. There are almost a half million users in my system.
I worked for many years as a technical writer and we always ran into the same thing. Nobody wants to read the manual/help files/etc. (and none of the developers want to take the time to review our manuals before they go out either... ;-)

Having been around here since well before scenes were implemented, it's been easier to learn and grow with the product. But there are a lot of the same questions that keep coming up... the question is how many of them are from people who didn't read the manual, and how many are from people who did read it but didn't understand what it said.

I worked for many years as a technical writer and we always ran into the same thing. Nobody wants to read the manual/help files/etc. (and none of the developers want to take the time to review our manuals before they go out either... ;-)

Having been around here since well before scenes were implemented, it's been easier to learn and grow with the product. But there are a lot of the same questions that keep coming up... the question is how many of them are from people who didn't read the manual, and how many are from people who did read it but didn't understand what it said.
The number who read the manual and didn’t understand is far less than people who didn’t, were asked to, then understood.

Most people here are always down take time to clarify. But people have to try on their own first. Most of us also suggest the page number when telling people to read the manual, unless it’s obvious they haven’t opened the thing at all and the answer is in the “getting started” area.

858760bc5e12b1f90f6eac36abac2669166ab18b488ec5f0c1f77ceff491fbf6.jpg

I remember when I was contemplating buying the Axe Ultra (back in the day when Fractal was not as well known as they are now). I read the entire manual simply because I wanted to know what I was buying (since you couldn't demo one of these in a store).
I remember reading and thinking - could this unit really do all of this?

I find it interesting that people would buy the unit without first knowing it's capabilities - and nothing spells it out better than the manual.

I did the same thing before I bought the II. And then asked some questions on here to get more info.

Unfortunately, too many people just go "dude I heard a clip on YT" or "my buddy's brother's friend's guitarist uses one and said it rocks!!" and so they buy it without understanding anything about how it works.

Back
Top Bottom