Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 2.05

For anyone who missed the beta release, there's also a new bass amp model based on the Ampeg Portaflex that isn't mentioned in the release notes. It sounds fantastic for fingerstyle bass stuff!

Just checked and the cab block LF and HF damping are now working on all my patches; the new room/floor/diffusion section of the cab block is amazing now.

New bass amp? Not in the release notes??
What’s it called?
Thanks for pointing out that!
Pauly

For anyone who missed the beta release, there's also a new bass amp model based on the Ampeg Portaflex that isn't mentioned in the release notes. It sounds fantastic for fingerstyle bass stuff!

Just checked and the cab block LF and HF damping are now working on all my patches; the new room/floor/diffusion section of the cab block is amazing now.

Thanks for this one! I'm now seeing the same levels on Out 3/4 as in the DAW when the Out 3/4 level knobs are full up.

However, if I route the same signal to Out 1 and Out 3, the block level meters read different values. I would expect these to read the same in the Axe since they are tapping the same signal, as you said, "pre fader".

Even if the output block level meters are supposed to be post-fader on 1/2, I don't think it's working since I calibrated my Out1 level knob to unity-gain.
Outputs 3 and 4 are "unity gain" and have a different gain constant via the internal number representation than 1 and 2. They are designed for effects loop use, DI sends, etc. If you put 1V into Input 1 and route that to Output 3 and turn its Level knob to maximum you'll get 1V out. Everything is working as designed.

Outputs 3 and 4 are "unity gain" and have a different gain constant via the internal number representation than 1 and 2. They are designed for effects loop use, DI sends, etc. If you put 1V into Input 1 and route that to Output 3 and turn its Level knob to maximum you'll get 1V out. Everything is working as designed.

Sorry to keep being a pest, but I really want to understand this.

IMHO, if the Out1 knob supplies 20dB of gain fully clockwise, I'd *still* expect the internal meter to reveal the pre-fader level (i.e. same signal routed to Out1 and Out3 register the same pre-fader level on the internal meter). I'd expect *some other* meter to reveal the post-fader level. Currently, a -10dBFS signal (per Out3) registers as well over +10dBFS on Out1 (i.e., the Out1 meter is pegged and non responsive).

Why am I whining about this - I want to avoid internal clipping so I look at the Output meters when calibrating patches. The Out1 meter is useless IMO because it registers +20dB the actual internal signal and is, most times, pegged at +10dB and non-resonsive. It is not a reflection of the pre-fader level for signals going to Out1. It reflects a presumed fully-clockwise Output 1 knob which is adding some 20-ish dB to the reading.

What if I route 1V to In3 -> Out1. The Out1 meter won't read 1V, it'll read that plus the 20db analog gain stage (or, now are you going to tell me it's a digital gain stage <brain explodes>?)...

Ok, I'll calm down now and drink my coffee ;)

Sorry to keep being a pest, but I really want to understand this.

IMHO, if the Out1 knob supplies 20dB of gain fully clockwise, I'd *still* expect the internal meter to reveal the pre-fader level (i.e. same signal routed to Out1 and Out3 register the same pre-fader level on the internal meter). I'd expect *some other* meter to reveal the post-fader level. Currently, a -10dBFS signal (per Out3) registers as well over +10dBFS on Out1 (i.e., the Out1 meter is pegged and non responsive).

Why am I whining about this - I want to avoid internal clipping so I look at the Output meters when calibrating patches. The Out1 meter is useless IMO because it registers +20dB the actual internal signal and is, most times, pegged at +10dB and non-resonsive. It is not a reflection of the pre-fader level for signals going to Out1. It reflects a presumed fully-clockwise Output 1 knob which is adding some 20-ish dB to the reading.

What if I route 1V to In3 -> Out1. The Out1 meter won't read 1V, it'll read that plus the 20db analog gain stage (or, now are you going to tell me it's a digital gain stage <brain explodes>?)...

Ok, I'll calm down now and drink my coffee ;)
The meters on the front panel are the post-fader meters. The meters in the block are pre-fader. The red line on the meters in the block indicate -12 dBFS.

The meters on the front panel are the post-fader meters. The meters in the block are pre-fader. The red line on the meters in the block indicate -12 dBFS.
Ok, but if the block meters are all pre fader, why don’t they read the same when fed with the same signal?

Where does the ~20dB step up for Output1 happen? Before the "pre-fader" meter?

Do you also observe that patches at a reasonable level peg the Output1 block meters?

Ok, but if the block meters are all pre fader, why don’t they read the same when fed with the same signal?

Where does the ~20dB step up for Output1 happen? Before the "pre-fader" meter?

Do you also observe that patches at a reasonable level peg the Output1 block meters?
There is no "20 dB step up". Outputs 3 and 4 are designed for "unity gain". They are intended for use as unity gain effect loops or DI sends, etc.

None of my patches peg the meters in the output block. If yours do then your levels are way too hot.

The new Axe Edit has been released - thx FAS,

Of course now I gotta figure out what all the stuff does on the “Align” tab. Not sure I understand what I’m doing when I move any of the graphical representation of alignment.

The new Axe Edit has been released - thx FAS,

Of course now I gotta figure out what all the stuff does on the “Align” tab. Not sure I understand what I’m doing when I move any of the graphical representation of alignment.
The graphs show the first 128 samples of the IRs. When engineers/producers record cabs in the studio they go to great pains to make sure the mics are time-aligned. A shift of just a few mm can make a big difference.

In the virtual world we can do the same thing. The graphs show the time series and you can adjust the virtual distance of the microphones to change their time alignment.

The graphs show the first 128 samples of the IRs. When engineers/producers record cabs in the studio they go to great pains to make sure the mics are time-aligned. A shift of just a few mm can make a big difference.

In the virtual world we can do the same thing. The graphs show the time series and you can adjust the virtual distance of the microphones to change their time alignment.

Thank you Sir !

New stuff to play with !

XFormer match doesn't work well for me...
It was a very powerful setting before but now it s really subtle...
Is that normal?

XFormer match doesn't work well for me...
It was a very powerful setting before but now it s really subtle...
Is that normal?
It's working fine here. Check to make sure you didn't turn off power amp modeling (either locally or globally).

Can't seem to update from 2.05 beta. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried deleting and re downloading the firmware from the OP, and also downloading through FractalBot. I've tried 3 different USB cables, all high quality, 2 of which are brand new. Have tried the Emergency Recovery method as well. Get's 100% done and then I get a message on the Axe III if an "Invalid Message Length" error.??
Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom