[fixed] Scene Volume Incr/Decr volume dropout

While I agree in principle with you and chris, this isn't how it always works.

First, there isn't always someone at FOH (or someone who's paying that much attention). I've played many shows where the person sets levels at soundcheck and may or may not even stay at the board - much less actually noticing whether some specific part is at the right volume. Of course, touring bands and larger venues etc have their own dedicated soundman but many of us don't. Ever played in a local club where the "soundman" is also the bar-back? Half the time you can't find them even when you need them for something major.

Second, even when I dial it in *perfectly* at practice (and at gig volume), I'll get to a venue and there are many variables - stage layout, room acoustics, etc - that sometimes require the ability for quick boosts or cuts. It's great to have FOH who are committed to our sound and familiar enough with our songs that they know what to do, but playing in bars you often don't get that option - so it's up to us to fix on the fly. +/- is a great solution for this, and it was much easier to use on the II which doesn't have a dropout ;-)
You're right. Sometimes the gig requires an on-the-spot volume change. But when that happens, it's usually a global need. If the acoustics require more guitar, you need more guitar across the board, not just for a single scene in a single preset. Which is a perfect opportunity to reach for a Level knob once and be done with it.

You're right. Sometimes the gig requires an on-the-spot volume change. But when that happens, it's usually a global need. If the acoustics require more guitar, you need more guitar across the board, not just for a single scene in a single preset. Which is a perfect opportunity to reach for a Level knob once and be done with it.
Yes and no. When it happens, it's usually one of my lead scenes that isn't balanced right, while the rhythm is at the right level. So just turning the whole thing up or down won't solve the issue.

As I said here, it’s not meant for a “lead boost” moment. Many other ways to do this (filter block, eq, etc.)

If it causes an audio gap, simply don’t use it while playing guitar. Tap it between phrases.

I didn’t say things should be dialed in perfectly before the gig. That’s exactly why a feature like this exists. But it’s simply not a “lead boost.” It’s a level adjustment.

Sometimes depending on the venue, stage size, my band dynamics, and many other factors my lead preset is too loud or too quiet.
This “level adjustment” sometimes needs to happen during performance.

I havent teseted this feature on the III yet, but i hope theres no drop out.

My point is: its a killer feature and im glad we have it. If it was more suitable for live adjustment it would get even better.

Sometimes depending on the venue, stage size, my band dynamics, and many other factors my lead preset is too loud or too quiet.
This “level adjustment” sometimes needs to happen during performance.
yes. this feature is meant to be used during performance.

again, i'm simply saying don't use it while you are playing any notes.

play a phrase
notice it's quiet
while not playing, tap the Increase button
play a phrase
notice it's louder, but if you need to adjust, tap the button again while not playing

Yes and no. When it happens, it's usually one of my lead scenes that isn't balanced right, while the rhythm is at the right level. So just turning the whole thing up or down won't solve the issue.

Same, usually my clean rhythm sound is ok, I also use the inc/Dec on my solo scene as sometimes it’s too quiet or a little too loud.

How do you notice something is quiet during a gig? I mean, you’re on the stage, how do you know how you sound to the audience?

How do you notice something is quiet during a gig? I mean, you’re on the stage, how do you know how you sound to the audience?
It seems they’re judging what they hear on stage. A valid indicator of something being quiet.

Up till 2.05 firmware Volume Increment/Decrement only worked on output 1. Personally I use output 1 for my stage monitoring and output 2 to front FOH. So in that way it doesn't affect FOH. Slacking haven't installed 2.05 which adds the ability to Volume Increment/Decrement to output 2. The hick-up isn't a deal breaker just a thing. Not a good thing to do on a held singing note but a handy tool none the less. Sure am happy that it's a feature.

I get both sides of the fence here in terms of when to dial in levels. In a perfect environment I wouldn't need to adjust while performing, but there are some venues where this isn't the case. I guess my main question at this point is, would this be impossible to make this feature where the sound doesn't drop out? The Axe-Fx II can do this without drop out. I understand this is a complete re-platform of the Axe-Fx II and I shouldn't compare the two. I'd just like to know if it can be done.

I need to try this again on my II because I don't remember it being without drop outs; I know the Ax8 has drop outs. My Ax8 board has a dedicated foot switch for volume increment / decrement, which is used to tweak scene levels in rehearsals. At a gig if I felt couldn't be heard, or a scene was too loud or whatever, I would just wait for a suitable gap in the music and step on the switch then if I wanted to tweak volumes. I have to say at all the gigs we play, which admittedly isn't that many, I have no idea what the sound is like out front until people tell me afterwards, so messing with volumes during a gig is potentially a recipe for disaster.

Mind you on the AX8, my solo boost level is controlled by a knob in a box expression pedal so I would use that to tweak boost levels for solos, but do it during sound check ideally. On the Axe II I use an RAC12; this has a dedicated knob controlling the level on a global filter block for solo boosts, but the Axe II stays home these days.

Man I was wearing this feature out last night. So smooth now I was using like a volume pedal all night. Thanks FA.

It seems they’re judging what they hear on stage. A valid indicator of something being quiet.

On occasion someone may indicate that my vox or (in this occasion) my guitar solo level needs to come up/down etc... on small gigs we don’t use FOH engineers...so need to sort the sound out ourselves and this is where the inc/Dec comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom