York Audio Checkmate M25 Cab Pack is out now!!!

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Get it here!
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/york-audio/

I'm very excited to finally release this pack. Based on a 1976 Marshall "Checkerboard" straight 4x12 with two eras of 25w G12M Greenbacks, this is the Marshall that "I" had been wanting for a long long time. Greenback IR's always felt a little "off" to me and I could never get why they were such a staple for gear heads. They were either too honky or too fizzy or too boomy, so I always went back to my trusty V30's....until now.

This Cab Pack was a happy accident that started back in early October when Jimmy Eat World approached me to make some custom IR's for them. They "tried everything" and were simply unhappy. After a chat with Jim, I knew the cabs, speakers, mics, and mic placements that they loved, so I loaded up my Marshall and took a few test shots. The feedback was immediate and glowing, and I too, became a Greenback fan. He said he was going to delete all of his other cabs and just use these, and the only bummer was that he wanted to reprogram their entire catalog of patches since the new IR's blew away what he had before. That band changed my life, so it's been an encouraging and humbling experience to be able to work with them and give them a fraction of the gift they gave me.

The pack is diverse. It's not aimed at vintage or modern tones specifically, but it does them both incredibly well. Here are a couple clips showing you basic modern and vintage tones.

This is a modern rock clip using Friedman and Mesa amp models for a thick and scooped tone.

Here's a raw classic rock riff with a Plexi set to stun. It's got the woody "knock" and attitude you'd expect from a plexi without the velcro-y top end. There's no post processing, so you're getting all of the natural character of the cab (and my sloppy playing, but my guitar faces made up for it...in my mind).

Feel free to ask any questions, and as always, I'd love to hear any music you make with these.

Thanks, and enjoy!
-Justin York

"You can tweak an Axe-Fx to do anything you can imagine. But it's the foundation of a cab selection that makes the true difference. And the cabs York Audio offers are easily my favorite place to start for any sound." -Jim Adkins, Jimmy Eat World

I'm truly humbled to have Jim's endorsement. Anyone who knows me knows that this is a tremendous honor, and I'm really thankful for his encouraging words.

The Zilla cab is going to be another (separate) pack?

That’s correct. The Zilla will be a separate pack. I don’t have a release date in mind for it yet, but I’ll keep you all posted when it nears completion. At the moment, I have some writing opportunities that I’m investing my time in, but I’ll release quite a bit of content this year to help you fill up those user cab slots. ;)

Just grabbed the M25 pack and the new store just says Order Processing, it used to be instant gratification for Cab Packs :(

I liked all the three packs very much!

Waiting for the honeymoon syndrome to end to write more!

You're definitely one of my favorite two cab IR producers!

How does this compare to the Ownhammer MBRW set? Not wanting to pitch one against another too much, but I have that one already - is this that different?

I liked all the three packs very much!

Waiting for the honeymoon syndrome to end to write more!

You're definitely one of my favorite two cab IR producers!
This is getting me pumped! You gotta post a clip when you write something! I wanna hear it!

Got it, downloaded it, loving it!
Have you been using M25-1 or M25-2 more? Very curious to see which one people are using the most.

How does this compare to the Ownhammer MBRW set? Not wanting to pitch one against another too much, but I have that one already - is this that different?
I don't have that pack, so I can't tell you how it compares. But considering that it's a different physical cab, different speakers, capture method, and room, they probably sound very different. I'm told that this has felt the most "familiar" to guys who have experience with this cab and these speakers, so as long as you like Marshalls with Greenbacks, I think you'll be happy.

This cab pack is awesome. I picked up the deluxe verb pack too, but I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it. Maybe next weekend!

I tend to prefer the M25-2. It sounds throatier to me. And Justin's mixes using the e906 and KSM313 are wonderful!

I've been preferring m25-1 personally.
This cab pack is awesome. I picked up the deluxe verb pack too, but I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it. Maybe next weekend!

I tend to prefer the M25-2. It sounds throatier to me. And Justin's mixes using the e906 and KSM313 are wonderful!

I keep switching between M25-1 and M25-2 depending on the tone needed. 1 feels a little more balanced and modern and 2 has that upper midrange snarl to it. Have you guys tried blending the two? Try a dynamic with your preferred speaker and a ribbon for the other one. It’s so satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom