Implemented An overhauling of bass amps...or at least the SVT

AdmiralB

Inspired
I've never thought the SVT model in any of the Axe versions was stellar...good, yes, and more than usable, especially with 3rd-party IRs.

But I acquired a competitive product last week, and its SVT emulation is just amazing - meaning, plug in, select the model and cab, and bang - there it is.

Can I make the Axe sound like it? Maybe, with enough external (to the amp model) boosts and EQs. But that's not supposed to be the point, right?

So, rather than ask for more bass models, I'd just like this one to be redone. Do two channels, just like the various NMV Marshalls and Hiwatt. Maybe include the midrange rocker switch. But make it sound right; a real SVT doesn't have to have both pre- and master volumes dimed to grind.

Hmm, recently a review by a Bass magazine was posted here, and they found the model to be indistinguishable from the real one.

Can I make a real one sound like the model? Probably. But the real amp has two channels (one with higher sensitivity), and several tone controls that are not modeled. The modeled channel pretty much has to be the low-gain one, as well.

But I can't make the model sound much like the higher-sensitivity channel without a lot of external work.

The bass amps update has been requested so many times recently that I have a feeling that we'll get an update soon enough. The Axe Fx 3 is such a complete platform and I think this is one of the most repeated requests I see pop up everywhere. No way that the Fractal guys haven't noticed and hopefully this is high up on the to do list!

Man I wish the Fractal guys would just at least give a thumbs up or down to this request rather than just keeping us in the dark. Even "soon" would be something. :(

The SV Model is a lot gnarlier than before and the power amp seems to break up sooner. The extra grit makes it sound fatter and meaner overall. The master volume is a lot more sensitive - turning down to around 3 seems to get a cleaner tone. Around 5 it gets a mild breakup and quickly gets dirtier as you go to 6 or above. The mids sound slightly tweaked to my ears - although I have to say that it feels very different from the previous SVT model, in a good way.

The Portabass has that Ampeg characteristic but is definitely cleaner but can get mean when pushed. Has very different mids and I'd say this is great for fingerstyle players. There's a certain low mid that should cut through on rounder, finger style songs (has that Motown vibe).

It’s great! I must admit I haven’t even tried the sv bass amp since my xl but I had a few minutes with it last night and was able to immediately get some usable bass sounds. Cool stuff - thanks Fractal!
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom