Anyone use Input Dynamics?

Do you use Input Dynamics in the Amp block?

• No

Votes: 158 60.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 105 39.9%

• Total voters
Problem with a realistic vs tweaker mode I can see is what if you want just one specific parameter thst didn’t exist ?

What if I could really use a mids knob on a Fender model thst didn’t have one ? Then do I need to start messing with PEQ blocks etc to give me what actually would of been easy and basic in the tweaker firmware ?

Sometimes less control can make things more complicated.

Also, just because something is basic doesn’t mean it subjectively sounds good to everyone. Look at all the univibe pedals on the market.

Does a retro vibe sound the same as a drybell or a fulltone ? They all have the same basic controls, but you cant just plug any one of them into a Marshall and get “that sound” as they all sound different. Thus, people end up buying and selling until they find soemthing that works for their guitar, their taste etc.

I need to tweak like 10 things to get a vibe sound I like, so I’m glad the parameters are there, but I’d be happy if the default sounded good to me, but that is such a subjective thing no one is going to agree on.

Parameters in the axe-fx are sorted by their technical place in the amp now. They are categorized as part of the preamp, poweramp, cathode follower and so on.
So when you want to tweak the lows you need to remember where the most important parameters for your task are. It's a puzzle.

Thinking the other way round from a musicians point if view we'd need a different way of sorting.
We'd need a knob to bring up all parameters that are able to taylor the lows, mids, highs so we coukd tweak lows, mids, highs without searching in every page.

I’ve recently become quite keen on giving Input Dynamics a good run. Last month, I played through a real Bludotone South Saturn Delta. That amp is crazy dynamic. It’s almost as If there were an expander in there. The dynamic range in response to pick attack is impressive. I’m hoping that Input Dynamics will get me close to that territory.

Please keep us posted... I’d really like to know how they compare to each other.

Tonight I gave Input Dynamics a serious spin. Set it between 2 and 3 — there's that almost-scary dynamic, cracking response that I got with the South Saturn Delta. It turns a sweet, lyrical tone into a weapon. When set to negative values, it opens the door to whatever amount of singing sustain you want. So yeah, I cast my "Yes!" vote.

Tonight I gave Input Dynamics a serious spin. Set it between 2 and 3 — there's that almost-scary dynamic, cracking response that I got with the South Saturn Delta. It turns a sweet, lyrical tone into a weapon. When set to negative values, it opens the door to whatever amount of singing sustain you want. So yeah, I cast my "Yes!" vote.
Wow! :)

It can get extreme, too. Dial in an edge-of-breakup tone, and try cranking Input Dynamics all the way up. Pick lightly, and feel the gentle wash of sweetness. :cool: Then pick hard, and feel the output transformer smash through your teeth. :eek:
Yep, tones open up dramatically without losing too much gain.
I usually use this parameter to compensate for the slight lack of dynamic on my Antares ATG guitar models, I think it's really useful for those using this kind of simulations (variax, roland, etc.)

Of course, as soon as I started fiddling and thinking more about it, I realized there’s all sorts of interplay between the Dynamic Presence, Dynamic Depth, Input Dynamics AND the power amp parameters. It’s really something how when you get them all working together, you get something...very dynamic. Even more so than any real amp I’ve played through!

NICE... that is really sweet to hear and pretty incredible that you get a similar feel. Thank you!

Last edited:
But remember: the COMP block can deliver exactly the same results.
Yes, I think that was mentioned earlier but is this not a one knob version of that functionality?

Last night, I meant to try this again on JCM800 preset I’ve been enjoying over the past couple of nights. I ended up playing for hours lost in tone and completely forgot to.

DOH!

Last edited:
I changed my vote to Yes. Never had an eye on it before. It is great to play with it and hear the different influence on the guitar volume pot. Do not remove it!

Creator: "Does anyone see the Pink Elephant I put in the room?"

"No, I don't believe in them. I stick with normal life parameters."
"I didn't even know there was one!"
"I took a note of it but never got back to it."
"I wonder what a PE will do to my life (my tone)..."
"There are too many things in the room already!"
"Stop complaining about having more things in the room."
"Stop complaining about complaining."
"No one's making you see the PE if you don't want to."
"Please hide it."
"We need a 'Realistic Room' and an 'Imaginary Room' setting before we even enter the room..."
"A Purple Dragon guarding the room can deliver the same results..."
"Yes, but as long as the PE exists, I won’t be adding any PD's for this purpose."
"Well, now that you pointed it out, not only is there a PE, it is the best entity ever!"
"Do NOT remove it!"

Let’s start a petition on change.org or something. Our favorite feature is going away, we can’t just sit and watch!!!

I've never used it, but I am starting to feel anxiety. Better than change.org, we should start a crowdfunding to design and build an external hardware pedal. Our sanity cannot depend on the volatility of a software feature.

:D

Last edited:
I've never used it, but I am starting to feel anxiety. Better than change.org, we should start a crowdfunding to design and build an external hardware pedal. Our sanity cannot depend on the volatility of a software feature.

:D

Great idea. I’m off to setting up an account on Cayman Islands...

The Dynamics type in the Compressor block is the same thing with more control.

If it can be replicated elsewhere and you do have a killer new feature I suppose the case could be made to remove it to make way for the new feature. I’d rather that those complaining about excessive parameters were not driving though... It is easy enough to skip over items you don’t use. However it’s impossible to use features that have been removed. Like “Character” for example. {cough}

Just giving you a hard time on that last one!

If it can be replicated elsewhere and you do have a killer new feature I suppose the case could be made to remove it to make way for the new feature. I’d rather that those complaining about excessive parameters were not driving though... It is easy enough to skip over items you don’t use. However it’s impossible to use features that have been removed. Like “Character” for example. {cough}

Just giving you a hard time on that last one!
There are many features that have been added to the Amp block in particular specifically so you don't need to add another block.

Output Compressor
Input Dynamics
Input EQ
Boost (and later, boost types)
Etc, etc...

Back
Top Bottom