Anyone use Input Dynamics?

Do you use Input Dynamics in the Amp block?

• No

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
I just used it. It was actually for a student. I always take a few moments to dial in a tone for him, which is fun. It was cool. I loved it, so I voted yes.

More options should be there for the power users/tweakers. No one is forced to go beyond the basic amp controls. I bet if you sneak that in - most people wouldn't even notice. I, for one, welcome any and all tweaking options for the rare occasion that I need to dive beyond the basic controls. Just my 2 cents!

Nah, I don’t believe in that, sorry. Everything that’s provided should be 100% operational and bug-free. In that aspect it can be an obstacle for further development and for quality control, and it takes up bytes. I say: if it’s not being used in sufficient numbers: bye bye. Or: make it a hidden feature. The question is: what is sufficient use? :)

Stop complaining!
This reminds me of work when someone sends an email accidentally to a very large distribution list. And then people reply-all to said email saying "please take me off this thread", and then other people reply-all saying "please don't reply-all", ad nauseum...

And when your company employs 50,000 people that can get quite annoying ;)

Last edited:
Everything is not so black and white. We just love to categorize. You're a whiner or a fanboy and there's no in-between. At the risk of sounding like the first of these categories I only touch about 10% of the possible settings on every block and I'm very happy with the tones I get. Do the advanced settings get in the way? I work around many UX projects so this is a no-brainer "yes" but at the same time every time anything gets taken off the firmware "all these whiners show up". :)

I'd love to see two versions of the firmware 1) tweaker (what we have now) and 2) realistic. Realistic would only have the settings that you'd find on the real hardware units and also maybe the default settings on the blocks would be around where people usually have them in real life rather than having everything default at noon. F.ex. when you drop in something like a univibe or Mesa Mark IV or a plexi it'll give you "that sound" rather than always needing start tweaking and searching for all the possible sounds you can get. So it's sort of an arcade mode for people who just want to get a good sound fast. Personally I've been using Fractal for some many years that I already have the "arcade goggles" on because I know I don't have to touch most of the knobs and I use global blocks. But I'm looking at this from the users perspective who may not have ever owned a certain amp or pedal so it's a bit easier for the user.

I hope this is seen as constructive rather than whining. I know I'd still use the tweaker version but I'd probably still recommend many people to use the "realistic" version. Less tweaking and more playing and so on...

This DID give me an idea for a new feature though. The possibility to set default settings for each block. F.ex. "use global 1" as default if you've saved a global setting for the specific block.

Sounds like a good wish list request.
I agree. It’s the first thing that came to my mind. “Reset” could offer a choice to go back to current saved settings or revert back to factory default. Sounds doable.

Unless I don’t really know what that reset button does. Which is entirely possible.

I'd love to see two versions of the firmware 1) tweaker (what we have now) and 2) realistic. Realistic would only have the settings that you'd find on the real hardware units and also maybe the default settings on the blocks would be around where people usually have them in real life rather than having everything default at noon. F.ex. when you drop in something like a univibe or Mesa Mark IV or a plexi it'll give you "that sound" rather than always needing start tweaking and searching for all the possible sounds you can get. So it's sort of an arcade mode for people who just want to get a good sound fast. Personally I've been using Fractal for some many years that I already have the "arcade goggles" on because I know I don't have to touch most of the knobs and I use global blocks. But I'm looking at this from the users perspective who may not have ever owned a certain amp or pedal so it's a bit easier for the user.

FracPad (free Windows version) has a skin that only shows "Realistic Settings" and the real amp and drive names

That's what the non-tweakers need

FracPad.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to see two versions of the firmware 1) tweaker (what we have now) and 2) realistic. Realistic would only have the settings that you'd find on the real hardware units.

Kazrog’s Thermionik does something like this—the (admittedly very spartan) GUI only populates the controls found on the hardware, so each iteration of the control panel is different for each amp model. But let’s say you pull up a Recto and want to mess with a Resonance setting. You can. But that knob is deactivated by default. Not every feature does this. For example, I don’t think the Recto panel populates with a mid-shift/fat control or anything like that, but it’s a nice dip of the toes in that “hardware representation” direction.

It would be cool to see something like that on the Axe, but I don’t know how feasible that is with all the models we have (a good problem to have, IMHO). I just use Yek’s amp guide to understand the hardware limitations, then I decide whether or not I want to stay within that boundary as I play with things.

Nah, I don’t believe in that, sorry. Everything that’s provided should be 100% operational and bug-free. In that aspect it can be an obstacle for further development and for quality control, and it takes up bytes. I say: if it’s not being used in sufficient numbers: bye bye. Or: make it a hidden feature. The question is: what is sufficient use? :)
Of course, it has to be bug free. That goes without saying. Not sure what you mean by taking up bytes as Cliff has mentioned its not a hardware resource issue at all. I don't know about the hidden feature idea. No one is forced to use the advanced stuff if they aren't sure and even if they completely botched the sound - there's the option to reset the block. A couple more knobs on the amp block on other pages beyond the basic seems completely fine to me.

I’ve recently become quite keen on giving Input Dynamics a good run. Last month, I played through a real Bludotone South Saturn Delta. That amp is crazy dynamic. It’s almost as If there were an expander in there. The dynamic range in response to pick attack is impressive. I’m hoping that Input Dynamics will get me close to that territory.

Last edited:
I’ve recently become quite keen on givin Input Dynamics a good run. Last month, I played through a real Bludotone South Saturn Delta. That amp is crazy dynamic. It’s almost as If there were an expander in there. The dynamic range in response to pick attack is impressiveness. I’m hoping thatInput Dynamics will get me close to that territory.
Please keep us posted... I’d really like to know how they compare to each other.

I'd be up for the Axe-Edit having a "send logs home" capability where it lets Cliff and co know which features we actually use in Edit and on the Axe itself, if we allow it to.

This isn't personal medical data or banking logins so I see no reason to keep it a secret. Without this data, a developers ability to understand real world use is anecdotal. I deal with this in my day job.

Nothing to do with resource constraints. These Keystone processors chew through data like a hot chainsaw through a sorority girl. The Axe-Fx III is a beast.
He's a genius with code AND words, who knew? :hearteyes:

This is really cool! Exactly what I was thinking. :)
There is a computer app for the II and AX8: http://www.roxxxtar.com/axelive
It is pretty sweet. Would be cool if there were a III version.

Just follow your heart... err brain, no... um gut?
Chainsaw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom