A wish or reality?

khvMX

As I am reading my way through the details of the modelling, I started to wonder if there was any way to reduce the controls on each amp block to those which are available on the model itself?
I mean I do not own every single amp on the list and I do not know whether a particular model has all the controls which we are presented in the Axe-Edit.
Is there anything I can refer to? Or better yet, any way to "lock" (or hide from my view) the controls which are not available on the amp being modeled?
I have seen some alternative editor which kind of depicts the Amp model reducing the view to controls which are available on the model but I don't seem to remember how it was called.

Thanks, buddy, wiki is the place I'm coming from.
My ears are tricking me all the time. You know I usually just tweak what sounds great on it's own, but it gets lost in the band context and/or just sounds nothing like a real model anymore. I somehow expect that if I did not touch the controls which are actually sort of "fixed" in the amp design, I would end up with better-cutting-through the mix results.

There have been wishes over the years for exactly what you asked for... And in fact, today was wished for on the Axe Fx III.

I don't expect it will ever happen...

There have been wishes over the years for exactly what you asked for... And in fact, today was wished for on the Axe Fx III.

I don't expect it will ever happen...
Ok I found what I was referring to: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AxeLive
It looks to me that it does not really set a goal of reproducing original amp controls, but just an attempt of some crude simplification towards live use, although I might be wrong.

I will give it a shot :)

This has come up a bunch of times.

There was a very similar request a while back for a "Reality Mode" that I supported. Still do. The idea was to create some kind of visual cue to represent canonical parameters of the real amp.

My contribution to the idea was simply highlighting those canonical parameters and dimming the rest, like so...

canonical.jpg

All controls behave and work just as before, but only the original amp controls are highlighted.

Last edited:
Yes, @benvigil, that's exactly what I want! Is it photoshop? :)
Given that Axe-Edit III is out, I am in doubt that this feature request will ever be implemented in original Axe-Edit..
Have you, by chance, tried the AxeLive?
Shall we close this topic and get back to original reality mode feature request? :) I'm thinking we should start an Open Source project on GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket or even raise something on some fundraiser platform for that. I feel like there are tons of professional software developers in this community which would love this kind of software.

There was a very similar request a while back for a "Reality Mode" that I supported. Still do. The idea was to create some kind of visual queue to represent canonical parameters of the real amp.

My contribution to the idea was simply highlighting those canonical parameters and dimming the rest, like so...

canonical.jpg

All controls behave and work just as before, but only the original amp controls are highlighted.

I personally don’t get the desire for purposely taking away controls. I’m always glad to have the ability to have improved tone stacks, master volume etc. I actually used to take amps like my old Bassman to a tech and he’d add a mids controls pot, add a PPIMV etc to. Made the amp way more useable, IMO.

I get some people are really into making things realistic, but to what end ?

If we are using an amp model that didn’t have an FX loop should we also not be able to add post amp block effects becasue on the real world model you couldn’t?

If a Fender model didn’t have a mids control, you could always leave the Axe setting at noon, BUT, if you adjust it and it helps you dial in the tone, isn’t that a good thing ?

Is anyone going to come up and say “hey, love the tone, but you created it using a parameter that wasn’t on the real amp, so you cheated, or it’s not authentic and therefore is crap” ?

Just don’t see how more tone shaping ability on any given amp would be viewed as undesirable.

I personally don’t get the desire for purposely taking away controls. I’m always glad to have the ability to have improved tone stacks, master volume etc. I actually used to take amps like my old Bassman to a tech and he’d add a mids controls pot, add a PPIMV etc to. Made the amp way more useable, IMO.

I get some people are really into making things realistic, but to what end ?

If we are using an amp model that didn’t have an FX loop should we also not be able to add post amp block effects becasue on the real world model you couldn’t?

If a Fender model didn’t have a mids control, you could always leave the Axe setting at noon, BUT, if you adjust it and it helps you dial in the tone, isn’t that a good thing ?

Is anyone going to come up and say “hey, love the tone, but you created it using a parameter that wasn’t on the real amp, so you cheated, or it’s not authentic and therefore is crap” ?

Just don’t see how more tone shaping ability on any given amp would be viewed as undesirable.

I totally agree, having more controls is always better. I can tell you where I am standing and why I *think* this would be beneficial to me.
  1. I have never owned a tube amp. Only hybrids so far. I have played some, but never had one, so I really have no reference on how the guitar should sound in the room so that it cuts through while being chunky in bass and not too harsh in the high-mids. So when I'm starting to tweak all the possible controls I feel like the tone is getting better, but as soon as I test it in the band context I quickly realize how bad it actually is.
    In short: I always end up with a worse tone than I supposedly would get if I did not mess with controls which make the sound worse, I need some reference to keep me on track.
  2. It is hard for me to stop tweaking when I have so many controls. I'm just starting to wonder what they all do to the sound, so I'm continuously distracted from playing the instrument.
Maybe I'm just getting it wrong and there *is* already a reference somewhere, like plain AMP block after reset, or something similar.

Well, the defaults of parameters like master volume automatically go to 10 already if the amp didn’t have one, so it’s “right” from the start, but you can always adjust stuff from there if one you.

Having owned a lot of amps, I can tell you that less does not equal more. It’s not like having an amp with a single tone control is going to make it sound amazing in any and all situations. If anything it’s more frustrating as you can’t really shape what your after without adjusting something else. I think it’s really the reason the market moved towards proper tone stacks, why people stated wanting tone stacks on each channel.

Whenever I’ve bought a with basic controls I always had to add an EQ pedal etc to shape my mids and such.

There was a very similar request a while back for a "Reality Mode" that I supported. Still do. The idea was to create some kind of visual queue to represent canonical parameters of the real amp.

canonical.jpg

I definitely like this idea. I think it's a "best of both worlds" solution...

Back
Top Bottom