Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Well, not quite true, is it? They do need to be unzipped onto the computer in any case.
In what way isn't it true? Note the first three words from the original question...

When I unzip and install, do all those banks/files go INTO the AX8? Or do they then reside on my PC...
But yes, you're technically correct. When you unzip a file, you do have to unzip it. :)

In what way isn't it true? Note the first three words from the original question...

But yes, you're technically correct. When you unzip a file, you do have to unzip it. :)
I think the poster is not clear on the process. I was trying to make it clear that the files first go on the computer.

The first 3 words are followed by additional words... ;)

If you haven't been exploring all the blocks that are included in this package, DO IT!!!

Been testing all the Wah blocks and stumbled across the AB Cocked3 Wah. Been jamming for about a half hour with this Wah and it sounds really good. I have been attempting to create an Auto Wah for a few days. Problem solved.

Great job AB.

I spent a couple hours with this cab pack yesterday, some quick feedback:

I like the instructional videos, they are helpful! I made a backup of my device and reset all the settings. The tip about having the output level at just under noon being unity gain was very helpful. That allowed me to adjust my interface inputs up to "U" which I'm guessing is also unity gain, so my gain staging is cleaner. One note on the output level, you mentioned changing to -10db outputs but in that case the output level was very quiet. I went back to +4db but I'm not sure if you meant to adjust the overall level to max or the patch level. I assumed patch level but that's probably incorrect. Might be worth calling out in the video?

Adding all the library blocks was pretty painless. I haven't gotten to go through those yet but I think they will be very useful!

When I loaded cabs and presets in AX8-Edit manager, I wasn't able to select the .SYX files and they didn't come across in the correct order. I had to drag them in sequential order which was a pain. At least the presets were still grouped in banks of 8. I think this is more of a Mac thing than Fractal though.

The patches seem a lot better than the Naked Amps pack. Not that those were bad, but these ones seem very balanced. I primarily use guitars with PAF output pickups (Lollar Imperials in my PRS and Thornbuckers in my Les Paul) and I didn't encounter any issues. Cleans were generally clean, low mid and high gains matched the descriptions, neck pickups aren't too muddy, bridge pickups aren't harsh. The effects are very usable out of the gate, saving another step in getting up and running quickly. There's some interesting cabinet combinations that I'll have to explore as well.

So far I'm liking many of the presets. Question for everyone - how are you best using them? I'm personally used to staying on a single preset and using the switches to go between the gain structures. Is anyone attempting to "merge" the different preset gain levels into a single preset? How are you using them?

So far I'm liking many of the presets. Question for everyone - how are you best using them? I'm personally used to staying on a single preset and using the switches to go between the gain structures. Is anyone attempting to "merge" the different preset gain levels into a single preset? How are you using them?

That's kind of my plan. I'll either look at the amp settings and try to recreate using scene controllers on gain/level, or maybe I'll play around with the control switches to adjust gain levels. And I'd like to get more into library blocks for effects, so I'm not always trying to program them from scratch every time.

You can definately so some match into percentages and do 4 gain stages in one preset BUT you also have to do math for the Level and maybe Master too...

You can convert but know that some of the presets will sound different and darker on the Axe-Fx. The Ax8 has 189 factory cabs and If you have a Mark II remember it only has 133 - so many of the presets with factory cabs above 133 will point to your user cabs instead and not sound at all or won’t sound right. Last, the CS1 and CS2 switch in Dream Rigs Ax8 will convert to Ext 1 and Ext2 in Axe-Fx — and Ext1 would conflict with the Wah in each preset already assigned to Ext1.

At the end of the month after Christmas I will start a version for the XL and XL+. Last I will do a version for the Mark II. So if you don’t own an Ax8 and want to use on an Axe-Fx, you should wait. To be fair, I will offer those versions in early 2019 at the same introductory $79 price as the Ax8 for a few weeks.

!!!

Why is that? I converted some presets from Ax8 to Axe Fx III and I thought that they were supposed to sound exactly the same, but they do sound darker so I thought I must have changed some global setting on one of the two units and couldn't figure out what it was.

You can definately so some match into percentages and do 4 gain stages in one preset BUT you also have to do math for the Level and maybe Master too...

Thanks for the reply. I guess that would involve using a control parameter to match input gain and master volume? I guess the other way to use them is to just select the presets with the footswitches?

!!!

Why is that? I converted some presets from Ax8 to Axe Fx III and I thought that they were supposed to sound exactly the same, but they do sound darker so I thought I must have changed some global setting on one of the two units and couldn't figure out what it was.

ARES is NOT the same firmware as Q10.01

Austin - I recently bought the 700 pack (a few months ago), and then saw the 1000 Dream email this week. You boasted that the improvement of patches and sound were an upgrade. This morning I uploaded the Dream patches into Axe-Edit, and wow, these sound incredible! I started with the EJclean, EJrhythm, etc., then moved on to about 15 of your bonus patches. Almost everyone sounded great, played great, and inspired me to play for a long time.

For people like me who bought 700 recently, go for the Dream package. you won’t regret.

I do have a question - all the levels and performance were perfect except the EJrhythm preset. It was running at 86-88% CPU, and exhibiting frequent digital artifacts. Any suggestion on how to combat, tweak, with of course trying to maintain that sound!

Thanks,
Luther

I think the poster is not clear on the process. I was trying to make it clear that the files first go on the computer.

Thank you. Hard to ask a question when it is all foreign to me. It was not clear to me if they would go directly into the unit itself, possibly replacing other things......I guess I am the type of person that wants to figure it out BEFORE I dive in head first.

I do have a question - all the levels and performance were perfect except the EJrhythm preset. It was running at 86-88% CPU, and exhibiting frequent digital artifacts. Any suggestion on how to combat, tweak, with of course trying to maintain that sound!

Thanks,
Luther

Hmmm.. i am away from my machine today. Can post later with suggestion. Make sure the Cab Block is set to Normal (not ultra res) as one quick check, that will free up 3-4% CPU righ there. If there is any compressor or reverb block present turn those off...My guess is there are two drives in sequence and that uses a LOT if CPU.

@Murdox - I'm going through the user manual now and there's a section near the end on how to assemble your own "dream rig" from presets. There's some good tips on how to audition everything. I'm definitely going to sit down and spin through the presets this weekend in order as recommended.

The other thing I want to do is clean up my user cabs. He recommends trying aftermarket impulses with the presets as well. I've got probably 100,000 IR's on my computer and I've got some that I like quite a bit. Because the presets use impulses from U20 - U33 (give or take), I'm going to use those first 19 user slots for my favorite IR's. Going to try and keep it to about 5-10 of my current favorites for each main style (Marshall 4x12, V30 4x12, AC30-ish alnico, Fender Twin/Deluxe, etc).

Spent the day goin through more of this collection. Wow, the high gain bank is really good. Lots of character and unique sounds from all the amps represented (or at least the ones I went through). Satriani and EJ stuff is solid, Mesa boogies recto’s Will bring a smile to your face.And some of those other amps were a total surprise to me - I’m not a serious high gain player, but those immediate cutoff sounds are cool. This is such a quantum leap over the naked 700 series - my rig is singing with these presets.

I will add that I use a plug-in from Valhalla that pairs great with a lot of this stuff - It’s the Vintage Verb. For jazz, blues, almost anything, I keep sending it though this plug-in.

Luther

@austinbuddy

This preset in the single-coil bank...
*BF Prince: Med. /y

The 'kicker' switch works in the wrong direction (higher gain when 'on', which is not how the other single-coil bank presets work).

Does this tonepack erase the factory settings?
That's up to you. You can load any part of the Tonepack anywhere you want. If you put some of them in a place where there are factory presets, you'll overwrite those presets. If you put them somewhere else, you won't.

The factory presets are available for download from Fractal, so you can always load them back in whenever you want.

Back
Top Bottom