Pre-recorded Audio to the PA

Dillon Ray

Hey guys, for those that play pre-recorded intros through the PA... I'm wondering what the best way to do this is? I don't have experience playing shows yet, so I'm trying to figure out what's going to work best considering a few of my songs have intros that involve other instruments, effects, etc... I'm thinking I could bounce the intros to my iPhone and run the audio to the PA, but I don't know if that's easily accomplished at every venue.

Hey guys, for those that play pre-recorded intros through the PA... I'm wondering what the best way to do this is? I don't have experience playing shows yet, so I'm trying to figure out what's going to work best considering a few of my songs have intros that involve other instruments, effects, etc... I'm thinking I could bounce the intros to my iPhone and run the audio to the PA, but I don't know if that's easily accomplished at every venue.
are you looking for a device to play it? definitely get a dedicated device, don't use your actual phone with cell service - so many disasters could happen.

an old phone or a dedicated iPad or iPod etc will work fine. there are many apps available that you load tracks, and it plays one at a time, then stops until you press "go" for the next track.

but will you even be able to press play yourself? describe how the gig will go, what you expect to happen, and we can make better suggestions.

are you looking for a device to play it? definitely get a dedicated device, don't use your actual phone with cell service - so many disasters could happen.

an old phone or a dedicated iPad or iPod etc will work fine. there are many apps available that you load tracks, and it plays one at a time, then stops until you press "go" for the next track.

but will you even be able to press play yourself? describe how the gig will go, what you expect to happen, and we can make better suggestions.
Thanks, I wouldn't mind having a little stand with an iPad or iPhone off to the side that I could tap a button for each song intro to kick in as needed. The band will be two guitarist, a drummer, a bassist, and a vocalist. I wouldn't mind walking a few feet off to the side with my guitar to press a button at the beginning of a tune. Which apps would you suggest? I feel like I could use my phone on airplane mode to avoid any interruptions.

I feel like I could use my phone on airplane mode to avoid any interruptions.
yes you could. i just know that people tend to forget to do that, and it's your phone - what if you need to leave the stage or take a call, now you have to unplug, turn off airplane mode, etc, etc. better to just have a dedicated device.

just going through my app history, i've used something called LiveTrax. load it up, hit the song you want, it stops at the end. i haven't needed this in a while so i don't know anything current.

yes you could. i just know that people tend to forget to do that, and it's your phone - what if you need to leave the stage or take a call, now you have to unplug, turn off airplane mode, etc, etc. better to just have a dedicated device.

just going through my app history, i've used something called LiveTrax. load it up, hit the song you want, it stops at the end. i haven't needed this in a while so i don't know anything current.
Right on, thanks Chris, I'll look into it.

I have my iPhone mounted on my mic stand direct to PA. I use Bandhelper on the phone to select my preset as well as play intros. And yes airplane mode would be best however I always forget to do that. I should use airplane mode as I got a text at a show this past weekend. Perfectly timed Boing sound tho. lol

I'm not popular so not much of an issue needing to use the phone during a gig. I don't think you'll have any issue getting a sound guy to get your audio in.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 10
I have and old iPhone 5s, antenna broken, that I tuned into an iPod touch. I use a program called Sampl, and an iPhone to MIDI adaptor, and a Morningstar 6 MIDI controller. Sometimes I play a quick sample in the middle of a song. I don't use the Effects loop for anything else, so I have an effects in block all by itself on another row in each preset in the Axe, and run the stereo output of the iPod to the effects input, since I ruN FRFR, so the intro sounds go right through my rig! I did a balance match for them in the presets when I manipulated the MP3 samples that I made.

I have my iPhone mounted on my mic stand direct to PA. I use Bandhelper on the phone to select my preset as well as play intros. And yes airplane mode would be best however I always forget to do that. I should use airplane mode as I got a text at a show this past weekend. Perfectly timed Boing sound tho. lol

I'm not popular so not much of an issue needing to use the phone during a gig. I don't think you'll have any issue getting a sound guy to get your audio in.

What do you use for thE MIDI interface to the AXE FX? I have set list maker (precursor to band helper) and I'd like to use it to change presets.

I tried all kinds of solutions, including a phone and (best of all) a Zoom R24, but ended up using an actual laptop with a dedicated interface, although not just for intros. And, frankly, that's what I should've done from the start.

What do you use for thE MIDI interface to the AXE FX? I have set list maker (precursor to band helper) and I'd like to use it to change presets.
I'm not the one you replied to, but I use a lightning to USB (B-type) cable... Only sending Beat Clock but still midi.

Yamaha MD-BT01 works well with SetListMaker as well. Takes a bit of work to get all your presets set up in SetListMaker/BandHelper but in the end well worth the time spent. I have it set up to where its switches both the AFXIII and my MFC101 V3 at the click of a song.

Back
Top Bottom