BassGearMag AX8 and Helix comparison

I mentioned this in a couple other threads, having been working in the background to make this happen. BassGearMag did a comparison (NOT a shootout, "versus", or "which is better") of the AX8 and Helix, you can read it here:
https://www.bassgearmag.com/fractal-audio-systems-ax8-and-line-6-helix-a-model-comparison/

I'll let this thread flow for a bit before I throw some additional thoughts in.
Good article, but it doesn't looks at a today's important thing : mobile edition ;)

Good article.
I felt it was pretty good overall, given the amount of time Sean got to spend with both. He got to borrow my AX8 for about 2 months, and had a loaner AX8 for a month-ish. So, enough time to start getting pretty comfortable, but not totally immersed (in either unit).
You are “Ray”, Selta?
Indeed.
Good article, but it doesn't looks at a today's important thing : mobile edition ;)
I don't know what "mobile edition" is. Whatever it is, if it wasn't available during the review time, there's not really a way he could review that ;)

I felt it was pretty good overall, given the amount of time Sean got to spend with both. He got to borrow my AX8 for about 2 months, and had a loaner AX8 for a month-ish. So, enough time to start getting pretty comfortable, but not totally immersed (in either unit).

Indeed.

I don't know what "mobile edition" is. Whatever it is, if it wasn't available during the review time, there's not really a way he could review that ;)
Mobile edition is the fact you have a mobile editor. Mobile = iPad / Android tablet, phones. .

Editor = Ax8edit....

And it's been there since 2 years ago

Mobile edition is the fact you have a mobile editor. Mobile = iPad / Android tablet, phones. .

Editor = Ax8edit....

And it's been there since 2 years ago
Oh, sure, but that's not entirely different than using a laptop. It's still an external device, which I believe is the point Sean is trying to make. Put simply:
Helix = super easy and "nice" to work with directly on the unit itself. Software on PC etc. not so wonderful, but workable.
AX8 = On-unit editing workable, but not great or exactly pleasant. Software on PC etc. is amazing.

Oh, sure, but that's not entirely different than using a laptop. It's still an external device, which I believe is the point Sean is trying to make. Put simply:
Helix = super easy and "nice" to work with directly on the unit itself. Software on PC etc. not so wonderful, but workable.
AX8 = On-unit editing workable, but not great or exactly pleasant. Software on PC etc. is amazing.
Yes sure, it's just a positive argument for the fractal platform

I mentioned this in a couple other threads, having been working in the background to make this happen. BassGearMag did a comparison (NOT a shootout, "versus", or "which is better") of the AX8 and Helix, you can read it here:
https://www.bassgearmag.com/fractal-audio-systems-ax8-and-line-6-helix-a-model-comparison/

I'll let this thread flow for a bit before I throw some additional thoughts in.
Good article. As a bass player as well as Axe-FXII + Helix owner, I can see his point of view. One thing that steered me away from the AX-8 was the lesser horsepower compared to the II and the UI on the unit itself.

When you are in a jam session, recording session, or a gig, within 6 clicks or less, you want to solve the issue so that you are not breaking the flow for everyone or costing people money. The Helix UI on unit is really good at this concept. I hear the Axe-FXIII is also good at this, but the previous generations do need Axe Edit or a mobile to behave in a similar ease of editing with time efficiency manner. Adding another piece of hardware communication in order to edit increases complexity and more potential failure points (battery running low, bad data cable, wireless interruption, etc.).

@selta please let me know via PM if they are interested in reviewing my cab packs with either unit. If you can make an introduction, that would be super cool.

Last edited:
Yes sure, it's just a positive argument for the fractal platform
I'm not seeing how that's the case. You have to take a device to be able to have a great UX with an AX8. You don't with the Helix. It doesn't matter if it's a laptop or an iPad, it's one more thing to carry around, hook up, keep updated etc. And it's 3rd party too.

Good article. As a bass player as well as Axe-FXII + Helix owner, I can see his point of view. One thing that steered me away from the AX-8 was the lesser horsepower compared to the II and the UI on the unit itself.

When you are in a jam session, recording session, or a gig, within 6 clicks or less, you want to solve the issue so that you are not breaking the flow for everyone or costing people money. The Helix UI on unit is really good at this concept. I hear the Axe-FXIII is also good at this, but the previous generations do need Axe Edit or a mobile to behave in a similar ease of editing with time efficiency manner. Adding another piece of hardware communication in order to edit increases complexity and more potential failure points (battery running low, bad data cable, wireless interruption, etc.).

@selta please let me know via PM if they are interested in reviewing my cab packs with either unit. If you can make an introduction, that would be super cool.
Agree with all of this.
I tagged Sean in a recent post of yours as well - he should see it and likely strike up a conversation with you. Not sure how much they'll be reviewing individual IRs though, but, can't hurt to have the contact!

Back
Top Bottom