The “What” and “Why” of Scene Controllers

FrankenStrat

Experienced
I have been moving along learning the Axe FX III. All is going well. Then I bump into scene controllers. I do not get scene controllers. Have read what is in the manual. This is what I think I know at this point:
  • A scene contains each blocks bypass state in the current preset, the channel of each block in the current preset, the name of the scene, and the values of 4 scene controllers. Each preset has 8 scenes
  • A channel is a fully independent set of parameters for a block within a preset. Each block has 4 channels
  • A single scene controller may act as the source of one or more modifier(s) to change the value of block parameters as scenes change
  • A preset may contain up to 4 scene controllers
  • A modifier may be configured to operate on all Channels or just a single Channel of your choice
I am unsure of the following statement(s):
  • Each Scene Controller has 4 Channels each with its own set of Scene Controller values
UPDATE: I will be changing the above “definitions” as information comes into this thread. I will leave the questions below unchanged so that the responses remain contextual. This will hopefully help anyone who is researching Scene Controllers in the future should they stumble across this thread.

Given that the above statements define the “conceptual model” that I am working from, I have the following questions:
  • Is the above “definition” of scene controllers accurate? If not, how should I conceptualize scene controllers?
  • When would one use a scene controller versus a channel? Why?
  • The manual states that a scene contains 4 scene controllers. We get 8 scenes per preset. I read someone on the forum say that we only get 16 scene controllers. Is that accurate? Based on statements in the manual, I would expect 32 scene controllers per preset.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
A channel is a complete set of parameters of a block.
Whereas a Scene Controller controls a single parameter.

Scene Controllers allow you to change a parameter value, without having to configure and switch channels.

I.e. using a Scene Controller on the Amp block's Drive control, allows you to adjust the amp's gain in each scene.

There are 4 Scene Controllers available per preset.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Scenes#Scene_Controllers

you don’t get 4 scene controllers per scene, you get 4 scene controllers. total... each of which can have different values in different scenes.

why use them instead of channels? an example:
i frequently use the same chorus on cleans and rhythm parts, but i run the mix at 30% on cleans and 15% on rhythms. i could do this with 2 different channels, but i find scene controllers easier.

On page 42 the manual states:
Each Scene stores all of the following:
3 . The setting for four virtual Scene Controller knobs, which adjust sound parameters across scenes.
So we get 4 scene controllers per preset and we vary the value of each scene controller per scene?

Last edited:
On page 42 the manual states:

So we get 4 scene controllers per preset and we vary the value of each scene controller per scene?

It should be 4 scene controllers for each channel per preset. And yes, you can vary the value of each scene controllers per each scene. 32 per scene, basically.

So you can also have different scene controllers per channel?

No, there are still 4 Scene Controllers per preset. Each Scene Controller has a specific value for each scene.

But because the Scene Controller itself is part of a block (Controllers), which also has 4 channels, there are 4 possible values for each Scene Controller per scene.

That's all theoretical, because in reality I think that few users make use of this.

Last edited:
How would that work?

You set different values for (example) channel A and Channel B like this:

IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

Then you can assign a block a different set of values for each scene. Of course this won't change the number of options you can have, since you can assign only one channel to each block for each scene.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 16.15.44.png

I have yet to fully explore this option, since I rarely use scenes controllers, so take this information with a grain of salt :)

So I guess the last question remaining regarding scene controllers is this:

Do channels allow you to have different scene controllers per channel? e.g. would it allow Scene Controller 1 to alter the drive parameter of a drive block on Channel A and the ratio parameter of a compressor block in Channel B? In other words same scene controller, different modifiers.

A single Scene Controller can be assigned to multiple parameters, in multiple blocks.

Per block you can let it operate on all channels of that block, or just one channel. You can't set a Scene Controller value for each of the 4 channels. But that wouldn't make sense anyway. Because channels already let you set specific values, without using Scene Controllers.

Last edited:
Not requesting anything :innocent: Just saying there is this further option, which is not likely to add any further functionality at this point.

I was just reacting to the word "should" in post #6. ;-)

Because you were directly referring to a question that I asked, your use of “should” is appropriate. You were conveying an expectation. E.G. I say: “It does not power up when I turn on the main switch”, you say: “It should power up”.

Last edited:
You set different values for (example) channel A and Channel B like this:

View attachment 51144

View attachment 51145

Then you can assign a block a different set of values for each scene. Of course this won't change the number of options you can have, since you can assign only one channel to each block for each scene.

View attachment 51146

I have yet to fully explore this option, since I rarely use scenes controllers, so take this information with a grain of salt :)
Those 2 sets of images are not related.

The first 2 pics show the scene controller settings for each channel of the Controllers "block".

The last image shows selecting whether a given modifier affects ALL channels of the block or only a select channel.

So the thing that isn't really talked about here is the fact that the Controller "block" has 4 channels.

So I could have my Scene Controllers set a certain way in Channel A of the Controllers block and a completely different way in Channel B of the Controllers block, which could then affect a (potentially) drastic change by only changing the channel of the Controllers block.

There is untapped power there to do something like a "clean to mean" setup all within the same scene just by changing the Controller block channel.

I have not explored this, nor really seen anyone even talk about using the Controller block channels for anything...

Back
Top Bottom