Analog pedals and axe 2 to ouput Direct into PA left and Vox amp Right

Rommel Robinson

Hey guys just wondering if you could check out the attached diagram of my signal chain. I love my pedals still and want to integrate into the axe fx 2 mk2, what do you think? So I'll be using a Vox Ac30 HW on stage probably left channel, and using a amp sim on the right channel, Need some advice programming wise, how do I program so that i can go stereo Vox/PA? I see in the globals i have to program if i choose one or the other, what about both?

Attachments

• AXE LAYOUT.jpg
    AXE LAYOUT.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 9
Signal through the chain is split from the axe fx outputs, output to left, output right, not sure how else to explain it... in an analog pedalboard for eg: a strymon timeline, signal goes in mono, goes out stereo left and right to two amps...

Signal through the chain is split from the axe fx outputs, output to left, output right, not sure how else to explain it... in an analog pedalboard for eg: a strymon timeline, signal goes in mono, goes out stereo left and right to two amps...
Do you want actual stereo? A signal to the vox and a 2nd different signal to the PA? Stereo has a specific meaning, not just “2 signals.”

Do you want actual stereo? A signal to the vox and a 2nd different signal to the PA? Stereo has a specific meaning, not just “2 signals.”

You may have to school me on this, thats how I believed stereo signals worked. With the attached diagram how would Actual stereo work/ Set up? thanks Chris!

Do you want the same exact signal going to the vox and the PA?
I’d like to pan my my wet effects left/right, the issues I see is how you set the output types in the global menu, it didn’t look like u can set the fractal output 1 left to be a signal path to direct to pa, and output 2 to vox separately. From what I can understand you can only set power amp modelling as either on or off, and cab modelling on or off not separately for output left or right

If you were sending Output 1 Left and Right to the PA then you could define that as stereo. Or if you were to send Output 1 Left and Right to the Vox (assuming it has a stereo effect loop) then you could define it as stereo.

Splitting the Output 1 Left to the Vox using the Vox cabinet's sound and Output 1 Right to the PA using Axe FX cab simulation is not "stereo", per se. You're just using the Left and Right channels to accomplish two different jobs.

Also, I'm not sure that setup will work if you're trying to use the Vox's sound and the Axe FX's Amp block simultaneously. If you're using real pedals in this setup, your Vox's sound and the Amp Block will need to run through the pedals at the same time. It'll be a garbled mess.

If you used just the Axe FX's amp block and the effects return of your Vox (assuming it has one?) I think you could pull this off. You would just be using the power amp + cab of the Vox and not it's preamp section. Your amp sound will be 100% amp block.

Last edited:
I haven't tested this personally, but I think this could work.

Guitar > Vox Input Jack > Vox Effects send > Pedal 1 (Mono In/Stereo Out) > Pedal 2 (Stereo In/Out) > Axe Fx Input 1 (Left+Right)

Output 2 Left > Vox effects return (Output 2 L+R if you have stereo effects loop on the Vox)

Output 1 L+R > PA

On the grid, create a row of shunts all the way across.

At the beginning of the grid, branch off the main line with a new shunt. On that branched off shunt, put an FX Loop block to send your signal immediately back out to Output 2 Left + Right. If your Vox is fancy and has stereo effects loop, connect to that from Axe FX Output 2 Left+Right. If your Vox is NOT stereo effects, which is more likely, go to I/O menu and change Output 2 Mode to "Mono" and just use the Output 2 Left.

Next on the grid, on the main line of shunts, put an Amp Block and choose "Tube Pre" to apply some power amp tonal coloring. Leave the Bass/Middle/Treble knobs at noon. Adjust Drive and Master Volume to taste. Change Power Amp tubes to "EL84" to simulate the power amp section of your Vox**. Put in a cab block and use your desired IR. This will go to Output 1 Left and Right. You send this to the PA and it'll be in stereo for the audience.

** If you're feeling really particular, temporarily put an Amp2 block anywhere and check out the settings for one of the Vox AC30 models. Make note of the settings in the Power Amp tab and apply them to the Amp1 block with the Tube Pre model. Delete Amp2 block when done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom