Help in figuring out which system......

So here is the deal....opinions and advice welcome!

I play in a variety type cover band. We play everything from AC/DC, G n R, and Prince, to Maroon 5, Luke Bryan, and Bruno Mars.

I have a custom built Friedman BE50 amp that I LOVE. Most gigs, I run a 2x12 Friedman cab, occasionally a 4x12 custom made cab for the bigger gigs.

In my 30+ years of playing classic rock, I am a pedal MINIMILAST. Still am. My pedal board consists of a Boss Delay, Chorus, Tuner, and Wah. I like it that way......well, until now.

With the variety we are playing, I'd like to get a hold of something that I could program for our set list. I like the idea of keeping my amp/cab. I know, I know...the simulators are great. And maybe that IS the way to go.

The other thing is, I don't have hours on end to spend screwing around with settings, and I'm just above an idiot when it comes to using computer stuff. That is why I am leaning away from the simulator.

My preference is to NOT run FOH, but to mic my cab. I like the cab.

I have ZERO interest in any type of recording, or any other space oddity features. My ideal situation would be to find something where I could go in, have some pre-set stuff programed for our set list by someone who knows WTF they are doing, and send me away saying step on "1" for this song, and "2" for that song.

Most of the songs on our set list, the only thing I run is a touch of delay, and in some cases a touch of chorus. There are a few songs where I could use some heavier effects, or maybe a slightly more saturated "80's" type of thing.

So....any ideas? Money is not so much the issue. It's more finding something SIMPLE that could possibly give me easier access to certain effects based on our material. In other words, not having to reach down and tweak knobs on my delay for those one or two tunes. HELP. Again, I can't stress enough....I don't want something with a million different things that I have to spend hours on trying to figure out. If that's the case, I'll just go buy another pedal or two and call it a day. I don't even own a home computer, if that gives you any idea.....I am typing this from work, and I use an I-pad at home. LOL

* also......I will NOT use a volume pedal, just for the record.

Sounds like the FX8 would be what you want. However, there's no way around learning how to program it unless you find someone doing it for you.

the FX8 is designed exactly for this - real amp, mic'd, add effects.

but yes, while someone could possibly design the effects for you, as with anything, you learning how to adjust it is pretty important. i can't think of any piece of music gear that anyone can copy the exact settings and sound exactly how they want.

the FX8 is designed exactly for this - real amp, mic'd, add effects.

but yes, while someone could possibly design the effects for you, as with anything, you learning how to adjust it is pretty important. i can't think of any piece of music gear that anyone can copy the exact settings and sound exactly how they want.

This thing seems a bit ridiculous. I should have researched it more I guess. I don't even own a computer at home (I-pad). I basically wanted it to be able to step on button one for one delay, button two for a different delay (for different song), etc., in a live application. I pulled up some video that was an hour and 24 min long on youtube about how to set a delay FFS.

The way it looks to me, without a PC, I will be there for 5 hours trying to get a basic delay setting. I'm a guitar player with barely enough time to do that, so, this thing will probably be in the classifieds shortly.

I am a pedal MINIMILAST.

I'd like to get a hold of something that I could program for our set list.

The other thing is, I don't have hours on end to spend screwing around with settings, and I'm just above an idiot when it comes to using computer stuff.

It's more finding something SIMPLE

I can't stress enough....I don't want something with a million different things that I have to spend hours on trying to figure out.
This thing seems a bit ridiculous. I should have researched it more I guess. I don't even own a computer at home (I-pad). I basically wanted it to be able to step on button one for one delay, button two for a different delay (for different song), etc., in a live application. I pulled up some video that was an hour and 24 min long on youtube about how to set a delay FFS.

The way it looks to me, without a PC, I will be there for 5 hours trying to get a basic delay setting. I'm a guitar player with barely enough time to do that, so, this thing will probably be in the classifieds shortly.
sorry to hear about this, but it seems the items in your first post were at odds with each other. minimalist looking for simple things, but something that you can program without much computer experience. the FX8 and most anything "digital" is a computer.

you can accomplish what you want - one button is a delay, another is another delay, etc. but as i mentioned before, you'll have to learn how it works to be able to use it.

it does not take hours to set a Delay up. it's very fast. that long video probably explained all the specific things that people want to know. but to add a delay takes less than a minute, less than 30 seconds really. however, you do have to tap buttons and spin knobs to do that.

that said, maybe one of the Factory Presets is setup the way you already want. have you tried using what is already there?

sorry to hear about this, but it seems the items in your first post were at odds with each other. minimalist looking for simple things, but something that you can program without much computer experience. the FX8 and most anything "digital" is a computer.

you can accomplish what you want - one button is a delay, another is another delay, etc. but as i mentioned before, you'll have to learn how it works to be able to use it.

it does not take hours to set a Delay up. it's very fast. that long video probably explained all the specific things that people want to know. but to add a delay takes less than a minute, less than 30 seconds really. however, you do have to tap buttons and spin knobs to do that.

that said, maybe one of the Factory Presets is setup the way you already want. have you tried using what is already there?

What I would REALLY appreciate is if I could set up a FaceTime call or just phone call in general with someone who is knowledgeable with the unit. I would gladly PayPal (in advance) for the time spent. I have a feeling what I want is probably reasonably easy to accomplish for what I want to use it for. For anyone that might be interested in helping, I can be reached at 810-923-8297.

I have the unit hooked up to my amp (Friedman BE). I’m sure someone could talk me through it in no time. Trying to filter through all of the intricate bullshit online or in the manual (which I was unable to download) is ridiculous. I just need someone to show me how to set the time, not build the god#*mn watch. Lol.

Anyone interested, call me from 9 am- 9pm Eastern Time, and I will set up a time that works for both of us to be in front of the unit. Again, happy to compensate for your time. Otherwise, contact me if you want to buy it. Lol

100 pages of Greek to me. As I mentioned, I’m happy to compensate for someone’s time. I don’t have time to deal with deciphering all of that. I need to know how to set up a couple of different delays, a little chorus (that I can use along with one of the delays), hook my moog expression pedal up for a wah, if possible, I’d also like to use it as a tuner and for changing channels on my amp.

I’m sure by being shown how to do those things, I could deal with anything else I might need to with it. Feel free to pass my number along to any member or fractal employee that could help.

I’m sure for some people, diving into things like this is fun, but for me, it’s not. It’s a frustrating PIA. I sell new vehicles for a living, and I help people every day who only use a small percentage of available features on their new car. Many couldn’t care less about much of the tech stuff, so, by their request, I show them how to use what will benefit them, and don’t overload them with information that will be of no use to them,

Time is the thing I have the least of, and I don’t mind compensating someone for theirs. It would be nice if Fractal had some sort of customer service, even if they charged for it.

Well, I borrowed a computer and was able to download FX8 edit. I managed to get to some presets, and adjust some delays, but again, it's just too f#cking hard for me to grasp. AGAIN, if someone would be willing to call me, I would REALLY appreciate it. I messaged Cooper. After playing around with it just a little bit, I am sure this unit could do what I need it to do, it's just too bad you have to be Steve Jobs to use the thing. Ridiculously hard to use if you don't know computers.

I've had a few people tell me how easy this unit is, yet nobody can seem to take a few minutes to contact me. Very disappointing.

810-923-8297

I've had a few people tell me how easy this unit is, yet nobody can seem to take a few minutes to contact me. Very disappointing.

810-923-8297
I’m sure someone will contact you. But consider that many people work a regular job and also have gigs. There isn’t infinite time. This is a user forum and not official support. And not everyone has an FX8 either.

It is a computer. I think many assume everyone is comfortable with a computer these days, so that’s why people may say “it’s easy.” I actually got yelled at here this week when I asked someone if they were familiar with using a computer because they were so offended by the question. But it is way more common than many people think.

That said, it is easy to use; as with anything the basics need to be learned that’s all.

Hang in there, someone will help you out when they have time.

Also, this post is in Rigs and Routing. It may get more views if a moderator moves it to the FX8 section.

I’m sure someone will contact you. But consider that many people work a regular job and also have gigs. There isn’t infinite time. This is a user forum and not official support. And not everyone has an FX8 either.

It is a computer. I think many assume everyone is comfortable with a computer these days, so that’s why people may say “it’s easy.” I actually got yelled at here this week when I asked someone if they were familiar with using a computer because they were so offended by the question. But it is way more common than many people think.

That said, it is easy to use; as with anything the basics need to be learned that’s all.

Hang in there, someone will help you out when they have time.

Well, I asked here because there is no "official support" for these things, although, there should be. You can't buy them in stores like you can the other makers, so they should offer some sort of customer assistance phone support.

I borrowed a computer, and dove into this thing a bit myself. I now know enough to ask more intelligent questions, but Fractal is missing the boat with their "read the manual and download" or "watch youtube and hit the forums" approach to customer service. I do think the unit will do exactly what I want it to do, and seems to be well built. It's a shame there is not a non-computerized way to get answers. Not everyone is a computer wiz.

Well, I asked here because there is no "official support" for these things, although, there should be. You can't buy them in stores like you can the other makers, so they should offer some sort of customer assistance phone support.

I borrowed a computer, and dove into this thing a bit myself. I now know enough to ask more intelligent questions, but Fractal is missing the boat with their "read the manual and download" or "watch youtube and hit the forums" approach to customer service. I do think the unit will do exactly what I want it to do, and seems to be well built. It's a shame there is not a non-computerized way to get answers. Not everyone is a computer wiz.
You are not required to use a computer... But you mentioned earlier that you thought it would be harder without the computer. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately.

These Fractal devices are not a simple effects box with 3 knobs. It's the price of technology - you've got to be able to work with it. Keep in mind your ARE working with a computer already, as that is really what all these devices are.

I don't have an FX8 (I use the Axe Fx III) so I can't offer you anything in regards to the challenges you are facing. I also don't know any FX8 "power users" on the forum that I can point you to...

Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out.

i've been working 16+ hours days for my day job plus gigs most nights. i just haven't had time to chime in more. i'll try to find some time.

So, I figured most of this ungodly thing out. It's highly disappointing that nobody took the time to reach out. The unit seems cool. I'm sure it will do even more than what I am able to get it doing, and I still have questions, but the product support for this thing sucks. "youtube it or read the manual", otherwise Fah Que. This forum was absolutely useless as well. Thanks for all the help. LOL

So, I figured most of this ungodly thing out. It's highly disappointing that nobody took the time to reach out. The unit seems cool. I'm sure it will do even more than what I am able to get it doing, and I still have questions, but the product support for this thing sucks. "youtube it or read the manual", otherwise Fah Que. This forum was absolutely useless as well. Thanks for all the help. LOL
Sorry you feel that the forum (something you read and write in) didn't meet your requirements for someone to call you on the phone. That is not something that typically happens here.

There are many, many users who get help here on a regular basis from things that are simple to very complex.

Product support for pretty much every piece of music gear I have ever used is the same: here's the manual. Read it.

I'm not sure what other gear you use that you get more product support?

Glad you seem to have gotten it working. If you have further questions, post them. People here like to help.

Sorry you feel that the forum (something you read and write in) didn't meet your requirements for someone to call you on the phone. That is not something that typically happens here.

There are many, many users who get help here on a regular basis from things that are simple to very complex.

Product support for pretty much every piece of music gear I have ever used is the same: here's the manual. Read it.

I'm not sure what other gear you use that you get more product support?

Glad you seem to have gotten it working. If you have further questions, post them. People here like to help.

Hmm....Dave Friedman (Friedman amps) had no issue speaking with me about the amp I bought from him. George Metropoulos had no issue speaking with me about a pedal he built......even invited me down to the shop to make a mod on my Friedman amp. Gibson had no issue in speaking with me on a 59 Reissue I had an issue with. Apple had no issue speaking with me on an I-pad issue. Any other examples needed? Fractal customer support sucks.

Hmm....Dave Friedman (Friedman amps) had no issue speaking with me about the amp I bought from him. George Metropoulos had no issue speaking with me about a pedal he built......even invited me down to the shop to make a mod on my Friedman amp. Gibson had no issue in speaking with me on a 59 Reissue I had an issue with. Apple had no issue speaking with me on an I-pad issue. Any other examples needed? Fractal customer support sucks.
Ok, so you spoke to a boutique amp builder and a boutique pedal builder. Kind of the nature of boutique...

Gibson was a "problem". This was not a problem, this was a "use" issue, not that there was something wrong... And if there was, you would open a support case with Fractal and they WILL talk to you.

I'm not sure how an iPad qualifies as music gear, that is consumer electronics...

When did you talk, or attempt to talk, to Fractal customer support? Because the forum is NOT customer support even though Fractal staff, including (The Creator) Cliff are very active on the forums.

In any case, you've obviously made up your mind. I won't try further to convince you otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom