How many tried the III and decided to just keep using the II?

No one, no one has ever done that, lol.

Realistically, there are certainly plenty of folks that would love a III, but for budget, redundancy, etc, they no doubt stick with a II. But.... all things being equal, and if someone said "you can have this III, or this II, which do you want, no strings attached", I can't see anyone choosing a II.

I don't think there is a single thing the II does better, except keep more money in your wallet. The III has better tone, better interface, more power, more routings, future firmware updates, etc. Its the flagship FAS product, and while anything in the FAS "fleet" in a great product, the III is out of this world

I mean look at the latest free update, which wasn't even a major firmware update

Harmonic and Bias tremolo effects, bigger tuner, new room settings in the cab block, new Fortin boost in the amp block, more USB audio routing options, new looper control options etc. The III, IMO, is starting to quickly pull away from the rest of the field, and it seems Cliff is just getting started.

Just curious and reasons why?

Currently i have invested in more tube amps, i have always enjoyed them better than digital emulations. So i have a hybrid set up, real tube amp into a reactive load into the Axe Fx II XL. The Axe FX serves as the main sound shaping tool from where the Reactive Load ends. My approach is very much the same as what i do in my studio only i have replaced the mics and cabs with digital emulations (IRs).

I have tested extensibly the Fractal amps and they are by far the best emulations currently offered, but i just enjoy real amps better and my free time is limited so i maximize my fun time.

The Axe FX III is the next step, so far everything sounds better with it, but i cant see any benefits to what i enjoys right now. Still, i monthly set aside a bit of money to get one maybe by 2019 Xmas, no rush.

Don't let the current lack of foot control make you go back- the III is the real deal. I bet you can sort out your midi issues before the upcoming gig and rock that thing.

Life is too short to settle.

Don't let the current lack of foot control make you go back- the III is the real deal. I bet you can sort out your midi issues before the upcoming gig and rock that thing.

Life is too short to settle.

I have spent so many hours on that dang MFC trying to get it to do things I need. It has been a severe PITA with the III. I'm not reverting, but I cannot use the III this weekend and I'm bummed.

Not sure why using MFC editor caused some unused patch numbers to not even be switchable on the MFC? Like #22 is my Back in Black tone and #23 is empty. I cannot hit button #23 and have it switch...just stays on #22. Basically any non used patch is a dud and I have no friggin idea why? Nor do I know how to manually do it on the MFC or III.

I made a conscious decision not to try the III just yet..

cos I know I'll adore and want one, but I'm not yet ready to buy one cos I have other high priorities right now..
and cos I can't say that the II is failing to meet my needs
I will get one though... just not yet..

I don't think there is a single thing the II does better, except keep more money in your wallet.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks the II is better, that wasn't the OP's point, he's asking if people have tried it and declined to buy it, because of money, FC or whatever.

I know I'm just waiting for FC's to pull the trigger. So I suppose if I tried a III, I'd be one of those people.

I was very happy with my II XL.

When the III was announced I first thought ... nah ... I don't need that.

Then I started investigating in alternatives (I mainly use the Axe in my studio). There I discovered plugins such as Waves PRS Supermodels and Line 6 Native. I bought them and sold the II XL cause it is really nice to keep everything "in box".

Eventually the mail came from G66 ... so I bought the III ... cause ... you know ... Fractal Audio ... nothing really beats that.

I have spent so many hours on that dang MFC trying to get it to do things I need. It has been a severe PITA with the III. I'm not reverting, but I cannot use the III this weekend and I'm bummed.

Not sure why using MFC editor caused some unused patch numbers to not even be switchable on the MFC? Like #22 is my Back in Black tone and #23 is empty. I cannot hit button #23 and have it switch...just stays on #22. Basically any non used patch is a dud and I have no friggin idea why? Nor do I know how to manually do it on the MFC or III.

Are you using PC Mapping? Are the #'s on the Axe aligned correctly?

I have had success using midi mapping. I can recall any preset and any scene within those presets with no issues at all. I don't however use IA at all. Not sure what the difference is between hitting a button that changes to scene that has chorus on and scene with chorus off as opposed to a button that turns chorus on and off is, but most times I've suggested mapping as a solution, other folks heads explode like I've poked them in the eye. All I can say is 40 years worth of Rush tones are programmed into my Axe III and via the MFC, I'm able to recall any of 70+ sounds with no issue. First gig was a piece of cake.

Are you using PC Mapping? Are the #'s on the Axe aligned correctly?

I have had success using midi mapping. I can recall any preset and any scene within those presets with no issues at all. I don't however use IA at all. Not sure what the difference is between hitting a button that changes to scene that has chorus on and scene with chorus off as opposed to a button that turns chorus on and off is, but most times I've suggested mapping as a solution, other folks heads explode like I've poked them in the eye. All I can say is 40 years worth of Rush tones are programmed into my Axe III and via the MFC, I'm able to recall any of 70+ sounds with no issue. First gig was a piece of cake.

I don't know. I used the MFC editor and set up the IA switches(7 of them) and got the patch names on the MFC. Everything works fine EXCEPT unused buttons are acting like bad faulty buttons(which they are not), but same difference. I knew the MFC editor would help with naming and setting up the IA's but I thought the midi # would just roll through in succession. They are not. They are paired up with correct buttons, just not on patches that I was not using(I had some gaps in the succession).

I know too I'll buy the III one day but there's no hurry. At one point I was obsessed with the idea to buy it, then I realised I'm not missing that much with my II. It works still great, there are no frequent updates any more and I'm tweaking less and playing more now. Finally I can relax and have just fun.

I haven't gotten a III because of budget, and because I really like the convenience of a floor model and not carrying a rack (I don't even use my II anymore because the 8 is so convenient). Other than that, it'd be a total no-brainer for me. I'll likely be in line immediately for whenever a new floor model is released.

I would love to have a III, but I am retired and now living on a broke income. I console myself by ordering from the senior menu at Denny's. I keep dreaming that Cliff will just give me one, but so far no luck.:(

but at least you can console yourself with the II, safe in the knowledge that you have more types of amps and cabs available to you than all the guitar stores within a 50 mile or more radius combined..
and being retired.. you have all them hours at your disposal to regularly piss off the entire neighbourhood...

my retirement plans are to spend 50% of the time with volume and the other 50% in a cell for noise pollution, breach of the peace, too many notes, a blatant disregard for style and taste, and for being that crass... etc..
cool..

I got the III and it just sits on my desk at home. I still gig with my AX8, because its so practical and it sounds great. I bought Austinbuddys pack for the III and there are some great sounds there , but it still needs a ton of tweaking and dialing effects. Im seriously reconsidering if i will ever gig with the III because of the size of the rig i have to bring to the gig. AX8 is just perfect for gigging, sure i miss some candys that III has, but the tones are solid.

Back
Top Bottom