[SOLVED] Cab-Lab "Live Mode" not working with Axe-Fx III

Piing

Axe-Master
There is no sound coming from the Axe-FX III when "Live Mode" is selected.

As a matter of fact, the mix from Cab-Lab can be heard for a fraction of a second when the "Live Mode" button is pressed, and then there is silence.

Cab-Lab-3a.png

I have asked in another thread if its working but there have been no positive replies, so I assume it is a bug.

Axe-FX III firmware upgraded to V2.3. Still not working, although at the Release Notes it is reported to be corrected.

"Fixed incompatibility with Live mode in Cab-Lab 3 when using Axe-Fx III as the audio interface."

Can someone confirm if this is working at his Axe-FX, II or III?

Can someone confirm if this is working at his Axe-FX, II or III?
Only worked for me to get sound through if, in the Settings -> Audio options, I first set the Input source to In 5 + 6, which is, I think, routed direct from instrument 1 input, not output block, so can't be intended behavior as that'd forego the amp block... so, yeah, unless I'm missing something in the routing, or being chuckleheaded about something, seems an issue to me. To be fair, I don't use the Live setup option much at all myself, so being chuckleheaded about something is always an option ;)

In the meantime, how can I downgrade to the previous version of CL3.
Live Mode not working isn't the only issue.
Sending an IR to a Scratchpad slot from CL3 results in an IR that's way too loud and distorts.

In the meantime, how can I downgrade to the previous version of CL3.
Live Mode not working isn't the only issue.
Sending an IR to a Scratchpad slot from CL3 results in an IR that's way too loud and distorts.

I think you have to uninstall and then install a copy of CL3 at a lower version. Do you still have your previous installation files?

I need the older file.
Where can I get it?
Are you on a Mac? If so I could see about sending you the installer for 3.4.0, 3.3.2, or 3.3.1 as I still have copies of those disk images on hand... pm me if you need it still.

hmm, I have 2.03, the latest cab-lab 3.4.2 and the live mode problem persists; have tried using axefx III and my Apollo twin mkii as the interface and piping the audio around with no luck. It will output a test tone on whatever interface/output, but doesn't seem to be getting input? I have tried getting input directly From axefx iii 1/2 and and the Apollo twin spdif with no success. Any ideas?

everything else works fine though; ez setup with scratch pads and spending Ir's over. I'm following the directions exactly: made a preset with just an input 1 -> amp -> cab [bypassed] -> output 1

as soon as live mode turns on, sound drops; the front face panel shows input but all outputs stop lighting up on the leds. The software meters inside the axe fx iii show there is audio coming out of output 1. the app itself doesn't seem to get any audio input...

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 5.04.29 PM.png

Last edited:
hmm, I have 2.03, the latest cab-lab 3.4.2 and the live mode problem persists; have tried using axefx III and my Apollo twin mkii as the interface and piping the audio around with no luck. It will output a test tone on whatever interface/output, but doesn't seem to be getting input? I have tried getting input directly From axefx iii 1/2 and and the Apollo twin spdif with no success. Any ideas?

everything else works fine though; ez setup with scratch pads and spending Ir's over. I'm following the directions exactly: made a preset with just an input 1 -> amp -> cab [bypassed] -> output 1

as soon as live mode turns on, sound drops; the front face panel shows input but all outputs stop lighting up on the leds. the app itself doesn't seem to get any audio input...
Hmmmm... is you USB input level on 2.0.3 by chance still -40.0 dB for 1/2? Believe I saw in another thread earlier today that Cliff suggested you’ll want to set it to 0.0 for spdif…

Hmmmm... is you USB input level on 2.0.3 by chance still -40.0 dB for 1/2? Believe I saw in another thread earlier today that Cliff suggested you’ll want to set it to 0.0 for spdif…

already tried that, that isn't the issue; put it up to +20 to no effect. Just tried another usb cable too... hmmm...

Last edited:
already tried that, that isn't the issue; put it up to +20 to no effect.
Out of curiosity does setting “Active input channels:” to “IN 5 [In 1 Instr] + 6 [In 1 Instr]” work? I mean, that’ll bypass the amp block so not a permanent solution, but i’m just thinking “start with ruling out any kind of OUT# block routing issues, make sure the interface is setup and working and all that”…

nope, no pass through of 5/6 either
Axe-FX III is set for Input/Output in Audio settings, and "Speakers... " in "Audio MIDI Setup.app" is configured for OUT 1 and OUT 2?

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 2.35.46 PM.png

Also, I'm assuming you tried all the standard, boring, boiler plate, troubleshooty stuff like disconnect USB, power cycle the III, restart the computer, then reconnect the USB lead, before finally launching Cab-Lab 3?

Oh, and if it helps trouble shoot any on your end additionally, here's what my Cab-Lab 3 Settings -> Audio Settings... look like

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 2.55.13 PM.png

And the patch I'm using before activating Live Mode... oh, and my USB Input Level is set to -8.00 dB for whatever that's worth.

Attachments

• Cab-Lab.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Gotta say, I've never been a big user of Live Mode (traditionally have just auditioned by constantly sending mixes to the Scratchpad) as the lag for the USB audio roundtrip kinda got in my way on the II. However, thanks in large part to the additional processing heft, being able to set the buffer size much lower on the III (also now that I can easily adjust the USB Levels on the fly from Axe-Edit to balance everything out), I'm now finding Live Mode a completely usable option for me when mixing IRs... think I might change up my workflow going forward and use it much more than I have in the past.

A+ yet again Fractal, the best stuff keeps getting better :)

Back
Top Bottom