Computer Audio Volume

Dunconia

Inspired
Is there a workaround for adjusting the computer audio volume that is returned to USB 1/2? Computer is very loud compared to the guitar sound. So far, I’ve had to make sure to adjust volume sliders on all apps or videos before pressing play.

I haven't got my hands on a III yet - but in the AxeFXII there's a 'USB Return Level' in the Audio tab of the I/O Menu section - I'd guess the III probably has something similar? You can use it to reduce the incoming audio level from your PC/DAW.

[Edit: Just downloaded the III manual ..... seems there's no USB Return level parameter on the III (?)]

Last edited:
I haven't got my hands on a III yet - but in the AxeFXII there's a 'USB Return Level' in the Audio tab of the I/O Menu section - I'd guess the III probably has something similar? You can use it to reduce the incoming audio level from your PC/DAW.

[Edit: Just downloaded the III manual ..... seems there's no USB Return level parameter on the III (?)]
Yeah, I may have to run analog back to my Apollo 8. I would usb for reamping but the volume thing is annoying.

You could send your computer audio to USB Outputs 7/8 and use the USB In block, that has a level control.
Would that have to be added to each preset? I’m thinking it would be easier to adjust levels in the Apollo console app when I’m not worried about reamping anything. I’ll just have to switch cables and interface device for when I do record. Not the best thing.

I fight with this all the time playing youtube backing tracks and still trying to figure out the best way to balance the volumes of PC/Guitar signals.

I can put in USB level controls but I guess I don't see how that's any easier than using the volume control on the computer app.

I can put in USB level controls but I guess I don't see how that's any easier than using the volume control on the computer app.
Everything I’ve used so far has a volume slider. The problem is that everything has a volume slider. Meaning, each app needs to be adjusted because everything on the computer aside from a DAW, which I gain stage, is brickwall loud. It really gets annoying when I practice lessons on Truefire.com. Each video must be quickly paused and then turned down under settings before it blows your head off. Blame the loudness wars, but in general, everything coming off the computer is a hot signal. When I run my Apollo 8 through the console app, I route all computer audio to a virtual channel which is turned down. There were instructions online. Otherwise, i would not have known how to do that. That helps even about everything I use out. So for now, I’m running analog to the Apollo interface. I just have a couple of extra steps to switch back to record the dry/wet sounds to reamp. It seems like a decent workaround for now.

Doesn't always have one. Like plugging my iPad or iPhone in via USB... There is not a volume control as the device assumes that whatever it is attached to controls it.
Can’t you turn the volume down on your phone or is that only audio cable out.

Everything I’ve used so far has a volume slider. The problem is that everything has a volume slider. Meaning, each app needs to be adjusted because everything on the computer aside from a DAW, which I gain stage, is brickwall loud. It really gets annoying when I practice lessons on Truefire.com. Each video must be quickly paused and then turned down under settings before it blows your head off. Blame the loudness wars, but in general, everything coming off the computer is a hot signal. When I run my Apollo 8 through the console app, I route all computer audio to a virtual channel which is turned down. There were instructions online. Otherwise, i would not have known how to do that. That helps even about everything I use out. So for now, I’m running analog to the Apollo interface. I just have a couple of extra steps to switch back to record the dry/wet sounds to reamp. It seems like a decent workaround for now.
Well that sounds like a legit reason to add level controls.

Back
Top Bottom