GT1000FX and Q12 for Axe-Fx

Giordydiver

Inspired
Hi guys, anyone use his unit with matrix gt1000fx + Q12? What do you thing about? I want a good FRFR response but feeling like amp in the room (punchy, feedback ecc). I am pretty sure for matrix gt1000 but nothing about Q12 cab.

thanks

Although I don't (yet) have a Matrix GT100FX, I do have a Q12 which I use on stage with the band.

It is fairly directional despite what you may read in the specs, and this is probably because it functions nothing like a traditional guitar cab. You are certainly not going to get that 'amp in the room' tone that often gets referenced... what you will get is a consistent tone that is replicated in FOH.

I have no problem in hearing myself on stage and getting good acoustic feedback is no issue. However you should be aware that on occasion you can experience tweeter squeal but that can usually be EQ'd out without any detriment on your tone (some threads already on the forum about this including comments from Cliff).

For me I wouldn't want to use anything other than FRFR for backline/monitoring but your experience may be different - some people love FRFR and others can't live with it at all.

I use a powered Q12, so same cabinet but different Matrix amp. It’s a nice sound. The only problem I have is feedback if I stand too close. It doesn’t feel like normal feedback, more like magnetic field from the speaker affecting single coil pickups.

It is fairly directional despite what you may read in the specs, and this is probably because it functions nothing like a traditional guitar cab
That quote is a bit confusing because a traditional guitar cab/speaker is also fairly directional. Most FRFR is less directional with like 80-100 degree dispersion.

@unix-guy - I think my perception is based on always using open back cabs (and possibly also based on faulty memory). But notwithstanding that, the Q12 is quoted as having 'a wide field of sound' by Matrix but that's not my experience.

Sounds like the same thing...
Sounds the same, but reacts differently. With normal feedback I can reduce the volume by moving out of the dispersion cone of the speaker, but with the Q12 the feedback volume increases at the side of the cab. With a conventional cabinet I can hold the feedback at the right level by where I stand and how I turn. With the Q12 that’s more difficult.

Sounds the same, but reacts differently. With normal feedback I can reduce the volume by moving out of the dispersion cone of the speaker, but with the Q12 the feedback volume increases at the side of the cab. With a conventional cabinet I can hold the feedback at the right level by where I stand and how I turn. With the Q12 that’s more difficult.
I was saying that you and the other poster were talking about the same thing... Which is tweeter squeal (vs feedback).

Do you typically use open back guitar cabs?

Back
Top Bottom