Uneven Balanced XLR levels

mousey

I have noticed that my axe fx 2 XL+ recently has been outputting a mismatched L/R sound on the XLR's only. The unbalanced outs are outputting correctly (i.e. both L and R outs are at the same level). See screen shot displaying the XLR only.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe something happened when the axe fx took a small stumble & fell down 1/2 metre in its rack from my trolley on a carpet floor. Not a big fall and definitely not the first either so I didn't think anything of it at the time about 2 weeks ago.

I also have re patched my studio with new patch bays and cables and assumed it was an error on my part until I tested all cables and patch bay points with an external testing source. I've tried using different xlr cables. Then I decided to plug the unbalanced outs of the Axe FX and all was good. So something is going on with the XLR's

levels axe fx.jpg

Last edited:
Since it's about 6 dB I'd say you're only getting one half of the balanced output on the left. Something must've broke when it fell.

hmmm, I was hoping not to read that but did anticipate it.

I always only use the left XLR to the PA (which may have phantom power on at times for other mics that require 48v. There is no way to disengage it on an individual channel) when we do gigs. I don't think that is related but thought I'd add it to my post.

I do recall for the first time, we encountered a loud low hum from the XLR out L when connected to the PA during a recent gig.. I flipped the earth switch on the Axe FX and it sorted the problem out and again, didn't think anything of it as I have played numerous gigs at that same venue without having any issues. Maybe that fall did something :(

Last edited:
It could be something as simple as an internal connector knocked loose. Open a ticket with Fractal support.

Phantom power won’t hurt the Axe-Fx, so no worries there.

Don't think that following is your case but anyway; 2 years ago I experienced similar problems with my axe fx 2 (identified on xlr out1 but didn't check the jack out1).
Send the unit to g66 who cleared the problem by detecting a corrupted system file. A simple system file reset solved the problem (not funny though, as I had to reprogram all my user harmonizer settings...)

Before assuming it's "hardware" related, have you tried creating a simple preset with one block, like an amp block? There could be something in the preset(s), which could explain the difference (unbalanced stereo blocks...). Just a thought, and easy to check.

Sorry for the late reply, Yes I will check it out also and report back. Just got back from being away

Back
Top Bottom