Bug? AX8 suddenly sending input1 signal to OUT1 Left

calleballe11

Experienced
Just had something scary happen during soundcheck. Suddenly the AX8 sent a direct guitar signal with no effects and lowering the volume with my exp pedals didn't help. I had my computer hooked up with AX8-edit and at first I thought it had to do with my wireless system, but swapping to a cable yielded the same results.

Anyone know how this could happen so I don't have it happen again? Everything looked the same and good on the display and there was ONLY a dry guitar signal coming out on OUT1 left, even though it was sending stereo. Solved it with a reset but I can't have it happen live now that I go on Christmas tour :(

Grateful for all and any help

Solved it with a reset
does this mean you turned the AX8 off then on and it was fixed? nothing else was done to try to fix it?

when you say "suddenly" this happened, do you mean you were playing and while playing the sound changed?

i've never heard of this since the AX8 was available.

The exact same thing? Any clue when it happened?

Similar but not exactly the same. The box froze and send a loud a direct input signal to the output. In fact it was clipping. Power cycling the unit fixed it. Happened once during rehearsal (without any interaction with the AX8) and never again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

does this mean you turned the AX8 off then on and it was fixed? nothing else was done to try to fix it?

when you say "suddenly" this happened, do you mean you were playing and while playing the sound changed?

i've never heard of this since the AX8 was available.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Me neither :(

Similar but not exactly the same. The box froze and send a loud a direct input signal to the output. In fact it was clipping. Power cycling the unit fixed it. Happened once during rehearsal (without any interaction with the AX8) and never again. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Same here. Really loud clipping dry signal, no wet

Same here.

I'll copy-paste what I wrote in the "10.01 firmware" thread.

Hello!

I've just updated from 10 to 10.01 and I had this problem:

After 15 minutes playing, in the middle of a solo, suddenly the sound became VERY clean and VERY loud.

I switched off and on and it was ok again.

Any idea?

Is there anything I can do to avoid this onstage? Tomorrow I have a very important gig.

I'm using the same preset I was using on 10.00. Only I had to raise the power amp block 2db. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Interestingly, happened to me out of the blue 3 days ago. I was heavily importing presets from the HDD, so I just thought the AX8 got a hiccup. Doesn't look that convincing now, though.

I'll add my experience to the thread here, but it hasn't happened again. I had a preset lower significantly in volume, but it went back to normal after I changed presets and came back to it. This was probably after 3 or 4 hours of total use after the upgrade. I had been tweaking some presets, so I thought it was something I pushed, and it very well may have been, but I thought it would be good to add to the thread in case there is a load glitch with the update or something. It looks like it's fairly random in frequency, so it might not have been something that would pop up in pre launch tests.

This is a problem that has been reported for a while, myself and two other people that I know of also have it. Although the other person guessed that it might be getting stuck on the bassman model hence the loud output. There's a thread on it in the bug section. For me it happens a couple of times a day if I'm plugged into my computer and using Ax8 Edit. Thankfully it's never happened during a gig. It also only seems to happen after I've been tuning and then go to switch from my clean patch to rhythm after tuning. Only started happening in Firmware 10.

It's an extremely frustrating problem. Even though the fix is easy, it's a pain having to reach under my desk to power cycle while practicing or recording. I've actually started to go back to my amp and cab setup and am considering trying a Kemper for recording due to this issue.

This is a problem that has been reported for a while, myself and two other people that I know of also have it. Although the other person guessed that it might be getting stuck on the bassman model hence the loud output. There's a thread on it in the bug section. For me it happens a couple of times a day if I'm plugged into my computer and using Ax8 Edit. Thankfully it's never happened during a gig. It also only seems to happen after I've been tuning and then go to switch from my clean patch to rhythm after tuning. Only started happening in Firmware 10.

It's an extremely frustrating problem. Even though the fix is easy, it's a pain having to reach under my desk to power cycle while practicing or recording. I've actually started to go back to my amp and cab setup and am considering trying a Kemper for recording due to this issue.
Please upload those 2 presets. If they are commercial presets, DM me. We’ve never had anyone able to reproduce this on such a consistent basis, therefore we can’t fix it.

Please upload those 2 presets. If they are commercial presets, DM me. We’ve never had anyone able to reproduce this on such a consistent basis, therefore we can’t fix it.
Sorry, to be more clear, it happens when switching between scenes in any preset, not between two specific patches. It also happens on my bass patch which doesn't have any scenes. It could be just linked to pressing footswitch 1 as I'm pretty sure it's also only happened on my bass patch after switching on the DarkGlass effect which is linked to footswitch 1. It also doesn't happen EVERY time I press footswitch 1, but seeing as I tune and then change presets/scenes probably a hundred times a day it tends to crop up at least once or twice per day. It also doesn't matter if ax8-edit is actually open or not. It just needs to be plugged in via USB. I've also experimented with two USB hubs and also being directly connected to either USB port on my MBP and the problem persists. It's also persisted through two reformats of my computer and reinstalls of AX8-edit. If you think it will still help I'm happy to still upload the patches that I've noticed it happening the most with.

.... We’ve never had anyone able to reproduce this on such a consistent basis, therefore we can’t fix it.

Chris, that's exactly why I once suggested to start thinking about ways to collect data that would eventually allow development to perform a post mortem analysis. Something like a flight recorder storing important system events. The FAS devices are not cheap and customers can expect them to be reliable but reliability doesn't come for free.

Last edited:
Chris, that's exactly why I once suggested to start thinking about ways to collect data that would eventually allow development to perform a post mortem analysis. Something like a flight recorder storing important system events. The FAS devices are not cheap and customers can expect them to be reliable but reliability doesn't come for free.
That’s assuming the event would be recorded. And maybe that is already happening for the developers, but still haven’t found it. Believe me, it’s been hunted down. I don’t want to list the hours I’ve spent on this one thing and not found it.

FAS devices really aren’t that expensive. They aren’t a single effect, they recreate the entire signal and more, and I’d say that similar quality devices are priced similarly or even more, and separate devices are definitely way more expensive. I just don’t think “these are expensive” really justifies much. And many who own them say it’s best-in-class - I could see them the gear being way more expensive, but it’s not.

Sorry, to be more clear, it happens when switching between scenes in any preset, not between two specific patches. It also happens on my bass patch which doesn't have any scenes. It could be just linked to pressing footswitch 1 as I'm pretty sure it's also only happened on my bass patch after switching on the DarkGlass effect which is linked to footswitch 1. It also doesn't happen EVERY time I press footswitch 1, but seeing as I tune and then change presets/scenes probably a hundred times a day it tends to crop up at least once or twice per day. It also doesn't matter if ax8-edit is actually open or not. It just needs to be plugged in via USB. I've also experimented with two USB hubs and also being directly connected to either USB port on my MBP and the problem persists. It's also persisted through two reformats of my computer and reinstalls of AX8-edit. If you think it will still help I'm happy to still upload the patches that I've noticed it happening the most with.

The more data we can get the better. If you happen to notice it more on 2 presets, please upload them. DM me if you don’t want to share to everyone. USB seems to be a theme, and AX8-Edit was open in most reports. We need to be able to say “do this, do this, then do this and there’s the bug” to fix it.

Thanks!

I’ve never, ever had this happen to me on a gig in 3x a week or more gigs since day 1 of the AX8 release. I don’t think it’s something to fear, but we would like to solve it.

Back
Top Bottom