Axe-Fx III Firmware 2.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/2p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_2p00_beta2.zip

This version fixes the pitch block bug and stuck input meter bug in the previous beta.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Improved Amp block speaker dynamic parameter modeling. The new Speaker Compliance parameter controls the nonlinear behavior of the virtual speaker. Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware (IOW your presets will not be altered). Selecting a new amp model or resetting the block will set the value to 5.0 which is a typical value for guitar speakers.

Improved Looper cross-fade at start/end of loop.

Improved stability and latency of Pitch block.

Improved anti-aliasing performance of Pitch block.

Added Temperament parameter to Pitch block. When set to “Just”, pitch shifting uses just temperament with ratios defined by the harmonic overtone series. When set to the default value of “Equal”, equal temperament tuning is used. Just temperament can be used to give a “sweeter” harmony, especially when followed by distortion.

Added “Virtual Capo” type to Pitch block. This is a simple one-voice pitch shift that is intended for drop-tuning and virtual capo use and is easy to configure and use.

Changed Pitch block behavior so that when selecting Whammy or Virtual Capo types the Mix is automatically set to 100%, otherwise 50%.

Improved algorithms in Multitap block.

Added two options to the Filter Order in the Cabinet block. “L: 6, H: 12” sets the filter slope to 6 dB/octave for the low cut and 12 dB/octave for the high cut. “L: 12, H: 6” sets the filter slope to 12 dB/octave for the low cut and 6 dB/octave for the high cut.

Changed Looper meter color to cyan so that threshold line is visible to those with red-green colorblindness.

Fixed Looper not playing when pressing Once if Trim Start is nonzero.

Fixed MIDI running status ignored if active sense messages received between status messages.

Fixed Master Resonator Time not working in Multitap Delay.

Fixed diffusion not working on delay lines 2-4 in certain types in Multitap Delay.

Various changes and fixes for FC-X controllers.

Minor tweaks and improvements to the GUI.

Possible bug: In a patch I have that has the multitap delay bypassed in all but one scene is now on in all scenes. Easy fix but I thought I would mention it.

Nothing gets me more excited than amp modelling updates.

Here's a quick clip with the Plexi 6550; first clip has speaker compliance at 0, second clip has speaker compliance at 50%.

Now to go try the other new treats. As always, thank you so much Cliff.

TBH, I'm not sure I really can hear much difference between the two clips, but I only have earbuds right now lol.

Awesome stuff Cliff! Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Loving the Speaker Compliance! Feels like it's squishier in some good way...feels more like there's an amp in the recording booth next door, even when the monitor volume us low. Highs seem friendlier, too.

Nothing gets me more excited than amp modelling updates ..... Here's a quick clip with the Plexi 6550; first clip has speaker compliance at 0, second clip has speaker compliance at 50% ..... .

Hey Leon !

As always - thanks :) Im not as my Axe 3 atm, so 2 quick things.

=> does "speaker compliance" replace the "speaker compression" control or is it a new additional control (?)

also

=> even with my ATH-M70x monitoring phones, I honestly / really cant hear any difference between the 2 clips (?) ......... is it different when playing live/loud through your FRFR of choice (?)

FWIW, with speaker compression, going from 0 to 3 [my preferred setting] is **really** obvious ....... but maybe this new control option is too subtle / virtually-in-audibly different (?) ..... or maybe its more obvious with clean tones as opposed to dirty tones (?)

All the best and keep up the great work ....... you're a one-man-axing-machine :)
Ben

Speaker compliance is in addition to speaker compression.

I tried the new firmware out tonight. While I'm no guitar tone expert, and the effect of the speaker compliance seems subtle, I can tell it makes the sound more "alive" in a way. That is, the tone seems to vary more in a realistic way over time with it set to 50% as opposed to at 0% where the tone seems more similar / constant. I'm not sure if that's the best way to describe it, but that's how it feels like to me.

Improved Amp block speaker dynamic parameter modeling. The new Speaker Compliance parameter controls the nonlinear behavior of the virtual speaker. Existing presets will load with this parameter at 0.0 and will be unchanged tonally from the previous firmware (IOW your presets will not be altered). Selecting a new amp model or resetting the block will set the value to 5.0 which is a typical value for guitar speakers.

This is very impressive--thank you! A modeling improvement that keeps existing tones unchanged... best of both worlds!

One note to anyone else who might be digging through Axe-Edit looking for this: the new parameter doesn't appear there... yet. Only accessible from the front panel (for now--based on the current update rate, this may be remedied before I press "post") :)

Cheers, and thanks again!

One note to anyone else who might be digging through Axe-Edit looking for this: the new parameter doesn't appear there... yet. Only accessible from the front panel (for now--based on the current update rate, this may be remedied before I press "post") :)

Axe-Edit gets updated separately and does not normally contain parameters from Beta FW releases. It is normal practice to use the front panel for new parameters until an updated version of Axe-Edit is released (usually a day or 2 after the release candidate of the FW is made available).

That said, Cliff did mention a possible clue/hint/something about Axe-Edit not being self-aware 'yet'.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom