Heavy amps. Beyond the usual suspects

JiveTurkey

Power User
Got some high gain Marshall out of the way in an instant. Got the 5150 block letter to my liking and the Recto(s) are killer as well. What off the beaten path heavy amps(sleeper models, perhaps) should I check out? I worked with the Mark stuff, the Orange stuff; the Diezel didn't trip my trigger but that could be all on me. Any not obvious ones?

I'm hearing great things about the Fryette Deliverance, and the ENGL Savage is a perennial favorite.
I tried the D60. I liked what I was getting in just a small bit of time working with it. I need to change the IR I was using and see what kind of difference that makes. I always forget about Engl amps for whatever reason. I'll have to fire up that model next time I'm working on tones.

Thanks for the heads up man!
Some others to look at:
  • FAS Modern series
  • Friedman BE/HBE
  • Capt Hook
  • Euro Uber
  • USA IIC+
Thanks for the suggestions! I forgot about the modern. Dropthesun (not sure if that is handle on this form) posted some excellent clips using that model a while back. I actually dig the Friedman stuff on the ax platform the best out of all the platforms I've tried it on. It's one I don't really end up using as it is so Marshall Centric. I've heard of the Captain Hook model but the name doesn't strike me as something that would be heavy. Is it an original model or based on something that exists?

You said you didn’t jive ;) with the Diezels, but just in case you haven’t tried the Das Metal amp, I’ll throw that recommendation out there. In addition to the FAS Modern amps listed above, the Brootalz is also really good.

A lot of my other go-to’s have already been mentioned (Mesa, Peavey, Engl, Friedman, etc).

I’m gonna drop this link -

This guy goes through a bunch of amps, shows his settings, and such. There are some surprises in here, like the Comet, for instance. The video description also serves as a list for all the amps he managed to get to fit into a metal context. Hope it helps!

Where to begin?
If you like the Rectos try;
Spawn Nitrous
Solo 100
FAS Modern
Thordendal Modern
Cornfed M50

If you like Marshalls try;
Euro Uber
Atomica High
Triptik Modern
CCV 2D
Any of the Friedmans

If you like tight chugga chugga
USA C++
USA Pre Yellow
Angle Severe
5153 Blue 100W
Fryette D60
DAS Metal
FAS Brootalz

Here's a vid about the FAS models

You said you didn’t jive ;) with the Diezels, but just in case you haven’t tried the Das Metal amp, I’ll throw that recommendation out there. In addition to the FAS Modern amps listed above, the Brootalz is also really good.

A lot of my other go-to’s have already been mentioned (Mesa, Peavey, Engl, Friedman, etc).

I’m gonna drop this link -

This guy goes through a bunch of amps, shows his settings, and such. There are some surprises in here, like the Comet, for instance. The video description also serves as a list for all the amps he managed to get to fit into a metal context. Hope it helps!

Where to begin?
Spawn Nitrous
Solo 100
FAS Modern
Thordendal Modern
Cornfed M50

Euro Uber
Atomica High
Triptik Modern
CCV 2D
Any of the Friedmans

USA C++
USA Pre Yellow
Angle Severe
5153 Blue 100W
Fryette D60
DAS Metal
FAS Brootalz

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will check out these vids today! I already dig the Atomica as well as the 5150IIIs (from real life experience). I dig Recto-styled amps. Not huge on the Mark stuff. Looks like I have more than a few options to start with
devil.gif

Where to begin?

Euro Uber
Atomica High
Triptik Modern
CCV 2D
Any of the Friedmans

Very comprehensive list for Marshall. While I fully agree, I would also add the (Soldano) x88 and x99. They've been my "go to" for Marshall (like) tones (along with the Friedmans).

Where to begin?
Spawn Nitrous
Solo 100
FAS Modern
Thordendal Modern
Cornfed M50

Euro Uber
Atomica High
Triptik Modern
CCV 2D
Any of the Friedmans

USA C++
USA Pre Yellow
Angle Severe
5153 Blue 100W
Fryette D60
DAS Metal
FAS Brootalz

All of this, plus go watch Leon's pimp my marshall vid, which shows that you can turn the JCM 800 into a high gain beast.

Just played around with the Engl, the FAS modern and the brootz amps. All three of those were killer suggestions! I'll try to hit the others up as I can in the next day or so \m/

I tried the D60. I liked what I was getting in just a small bit of time working with it. I need to change the IR I was using and see what kind of difference that makes. I always forget about Engl amps for whatever reason. I'll have to fire up that model next time I'm working on tones.

There's a D60 preset I found in the Wish List forum that crushes. Someone asked about modeling the Fortin Grind and @harmaes made a preset based on the D60. I actually don't like the Grind emulation, but the base preset is killer. You can find it in this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fortin-grind.142263/page-2

There's a D60 preset I found in the Wish List forum that crushes. Someone asked about modeling the Fortin Grind and @harmaes made a preset based on the D60. I actually don't like the Grind emulation, but the base preset is killer. You can find it in this thread:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll snag this preset over the weekend. I tried out the FatBottom IRs posted up above but couldn't get anything to my liking with them for whatever reason.

Holy. Shit. That preset with just a few tweaks on my end (use the base amp tone without any Grind applied to it; turn off bright switch, up the bass a hair and engage shimmer boost) is absolutely CRUSHING! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom